MRM

League Issues with a +3

33 posts / 1106 viewsLast Reply

55 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Please can someone explain how the skins game works for forty odd players. Here in the UK skins is played in four balls. At least that’s the only way I’ve played skins..

Skins is skins.

If you have the lowest score on a hole, usually birdie or better  required, you win the skin. It doesn’t matter whether it’s four people playing, or 40…

Edited by David in FL

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Skins is skins.

If you have the lowest score on a hole, usually birdie or better  required, you win the skin. It doesn’t matter whether it’s four people playing, or 40…

Ok, and I assume they roll over if the lowest score is a tie? With forty players then I assume most holes are tied in birdie and rolled over. What happens when there are six skins (eg) riding on 18 and the lowest score was achieved by 2 or more players. Play off, putting comp, Rock, paper scissors?

8 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Ok, and I assume they roll over if the lowest score is a tie? With forty players then I assume most holes are tied in birdie and rolled over. What happens when there are six skins (eg) riding on 18 and the lowest score was achieved by 2 or more players. Play off, putting comp, Rock, paper scissors?

The only winners, are those that have the lowest score on the whole by themselves

If two or more players both have birdies or even lower on any given hole,  then there’s no skin paid on that hole…

Edited by David in FL

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

The only winners, are those that have the lowest score on the whole by themselves

If two or more players both have birdies or even lower on any given hole,  then there’s no skin paid on that hole…

Thanks for that . So no rollovers. The sting of missing an easy birdie putt , when there is a bunch of skins on the line is something I am unhappily familiar with. 

3 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Split the pot. Skins and best net each week. 

This is the best solution. A +3 will almost never win a net skin in a group of 40 guys. And likewise, a 20+ capper will almost never win a gross skin in that group. 

Dedicating 50% of your skins pool to gross and 50% to net is the only way to keep both ends of the spectrum engaged. 

Always apply handicap. When I played in a league in Dayton, they would only give you one stroke a hole (max) for skins regardless of handicap. Then, the matches were full handicap. 

20 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Thanks for that . So no rollovers. The sting of missing an easy birdie putt , when there is a bunch of skins on the line is something I am unhappily familiar with. 

You can do it either way, but its a lot easier, mathematically, just to divide the skin pot by the number of skins out. 

Another thing you should do is cap the maximum handicap, especially for men.  At 24.  I understand this will hurt the senior citizens who can't hit it far anymore, but that is made up by giving them the front tees.

I enjoy skins, because it is match play and encourages risk taking, but is bad for my game.  Ideally stroke play is better for me as I tend not to go for hero shots

One thing we did in our league last year is combine skins and low net.  So half of the pot goes to gross skins and the other half of the pot goes to low net.  This way both spectrum's of the league have a chance at winning some cash. 

Are skins a regular feature in clubs and leagues in the US? Here in the UK they are rarely used (same with Scrambles) and are seen as a light-hearted alternative to the the normal nett stroke play comps. These are flighted by handicap . I have only played skins with my mates.

12 hours ago, Beastie said:

Please can someone explain how the skins game works for forty odd players. Here in the UK skins is played in four balls. At least that’s the only way I’ve played skins..

For my group, we call it skins, but its really a birdie pool. Par would not win a hole, you must have a birdie or better for consideration.

1 hour ago, Beastie said:

Are skins a regular feature in clubs and leagues in the US? Here in the UK they are rarely used (same with Scrambles) and are seen as a light-hearted alternative to the the normal nett stroke play comps. These are flighted by handicap . I have only played skins with my mates.

Skins are simply an addition to whatever regular game is being played at the time. 

Generally anyone who wants to participate throws $10 or some such into the pot, and at the end of the day, the pot is split by however many skins that “hold up”, i.e. a birdie or better on a hole that isn’t matched by anyone else in the pool.

Skins has no affect at all on the actual game/comp itself...

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Always apply handicap. When I played in a league in Dayton, they would only give you one stroke a hole (max) for skins regardless of handicap. Then, the matches were full handicap. 

That is a good rule. I stopped putting money into a league skins pot when it looked like there were more eagle wins than birdie. Guys with handicaps over 30 would occasionally score a par and net an eagle. With 72 guys in the league and with more than half with super high handicaps it was just crazy.

6 hours ago, Beastie said:

Skins are available in just about every tournament I play in. Additionally, there are several groups I play with in the summer that play a skins game. Most of the big groups you throw in $20-$30 and they play net and gross skins and then a net and gross overall score. 

I also play in a league that has plus handicappers and some very high handicappers.  Everyone plays to their full handicap. Much controversy came about over skins once we had at least one very low handicapper.  The only good option was to split the skins pot.  1/2 of our skins pot is Net Skins and the other 1/2 is Gross Skins.  When you sign up, you are in both...no option to play just one side.  It has worked out really well.

Edited by RickK