IGNORED

League Issues with a +3

MRM
Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let me start out by describing our league. We have a 40  player, 2 player team league. All ages and handicaps.seniors can play from the gold tees. Everyone else from the whites. Pretty casual, general USGA rules, but we all know we're there for fun and just to enjoy the game. 

We require everyone to pay a set league fee that applies to skins, proximity prizes and payouts for 1st and 2nd place at the end of the year. 

The issue some members have is we have one player that is a +3 handicap and generally takes a good majority of the prize money every week. Once was a tour player and has no problem telling everyone that he's only on our league for the money. As the league president I feel it's my duty to try to address this but I don't know what is within my rights to try to make it fair. I don't want to loose members and I don't want to seem like I'm singling this guy out. 

Please, any ideas...

Thanks,

MRM

• Administrator

If it’s handicapped how is that happening? You need to provide details on what you pay out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, MRM said:

Let me start out by describing our league. We have a 40  player, 2 player team league. All ages and handicaps.seniors can play from the gold tees. Everyone else from the whites. Pretty casual, general USGA rules, but we all know we're there for fun and just to enjoy the game. 

We require everyone to pay a set league fee that applies to skins, proximity prizes and payouts for 1st and 2nd place at the end of the year. 

The issue some members have is we have one player that is a +3 handicap and generally takes a good majority of the prize money every week. Once was a tour player and has no problem telling everyone that he's only on our league for the money. As the league president I feel it's my duty to try to address this but I don't know what is within my rights to try to make it fair. I don't want to loose members and I don't want to seem like I'm singling this guy out. 

Please, any ideas...

Thanks,

MRM

Skins are straight up.. not handicaped. 3 proxies, and skins. Roughly 200 dollars a week up for grabs.

If you're league events aren't flighted or handicapped then yes that guy will take it all every time if he's playing against mid-high handicappers from the same tees. Unless I missed something seems like you need to make your league flighted. Do you guys only play skins games? 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator

… or apply handicaps.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to League Issues with a +3

Is there anyone else close to his handicap in the group? As a +1.5 I am going to tell you we LOVE straight up games. If you want to make it more equitable I would play net skins. It's pretty tough to have a 40 person league and play everything gross, there have to be some 15-20 handicaps who are just donating every week.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

29 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Is there anyone else close to his handicap in the group? As a +1.5 I am going to tell you we LOVE straight up games. If you want to make it more equitable I would play net skins. It's pretty tough to have a 40 person league and play everything gross, there have to be some 15-20 handicaps who are just donating every week.

I played in a league last year that was net skins and it was ridiculous. Seemed like you needed eagle to win a hole almost every time. Some 36 handicap gets a par, LOL.

Better players hate playing net skins.  In this case, it’s likely the only fair(ish) option for you.

It sounds as if your +3 hcp player may just take his game elsewhere...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

21 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Better players hate playing net skins.  In this case, it’s likely the only fair(ish) option for you.

It sounds as if your +3 hcp player may just take his game elsewhere...

Thanks for the ideas everyone. We've pushed around the net hdcp. Idea, especially since everyone has to pay in to be able to play league.  It's not without it's merits. But it could discourage the lower handicaps. When you say flighted.. I forget who that was, I'm assuming it's tees based on handicap. That was also an idea. Other ideas; puting more weight on the proximities, adding a low net for each league night. E.g. lowest net score takes home a bigger pot than the other 4. We also pushed around the idea of putting him on the tips, but then again the 3s to 10s are still at the whites. Somehow I have to try to make it appealing to the masses. 

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

I played in a league last year that was net skins and it was ridiculous. Seemed like you needed eagle to win a hole almost every time. Some 36 handicap gets a par, LOL.

There's no perfect solution. I hate net skins in large groups because I have little chance to win. Most groups I play in we do both net and gross. I can't remember the last time I won a net skin, because in most of the groups I play in you have to birdie a hole with a pop. The net guys do love when I play though because we play off my handicap and they get 2 more pops.

15 minutes ago, MRM said:

But it could discourage the lower handicaps. 

Do both, everyone is happy.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

There's no perfect solution. I hate net skins in large groups because I have little chance to win. Most groups I play in we do both net and gross. I can't remember the last time I won a net skin, because in most of the groups I play in you have to birdie a hole with a pop. The net guys do love when I play though because we play off my handicap and they get 2 more pops.

Do both, everyone is happy.

Yep.  You can even give everyone the option of which they want to play in...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, MRM said:

Please, any ideas...

Thanks,

MRM

I'll put it up to the league members because I usually do everything with a vote because it's their league. But I do like the idea of having both straight up and net skin pots. It makes good sense and it's satisfies both the low and the high handicaps. Thanks guys for all your input.

MRM

Another potential for the skins, use 50% of handicaps.  That tends to make things approximately fair to all levels.  Closest to the pin always favors better players, so if they have a little disadvantage in the skins, that offsets the advantage they have in proxies.

I don't know the guys in your league, but I've found that some (not all) better players EXPECT to come out ahead every week, especially when competing against players of lesser ability.  If you find a solution that evens things up, you could lose the lowest handicap players if they have that kind of attitude.  If that's the way it works out, please remember that its THEIR fault, their entitled attitude.  I hope they can accept "breaking even" as fair, and choose to help work out a fair system.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 hours ago, MRM said:

Skins are straight up.. not handicaped. 3 proxies, and skins. Roughly 200 dollars a week up for grabs.

So why would anybody bother to enter this competition if it is not handicapped?

Split the pot. Skins and best net each week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Please can someone explain how the skins game works for forty odd players. Here in the UK skins is played in four balls. At least that’s the only way I’ve played skins..

Stevie T

Canadian skins are something to look at, too. The idea is that you don't have a net birdie beat out a gross birdie. That will still favor the low handicaps, but the higher handicaps will have more of a chance than just straight-up skins.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!