IGNORED

What Balls Do You Play?

Pinger
Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m curious what balls are most popular out there? We all like ProV’s of course, but is the cost a factor? For me it is and so I tend to play whatever is on sale and of the highest quality. If this is your preference, which other balls work best for you? Last year I played Vice Pro, Srixon and Taylor Made (a) and still am using my old Pentas until they are gone.

45 minutes ago, Pinger said:

I’m curious what balls are most popular out there? We all like ProV’s of course, but is the cost a factor? For me it is and so I tend to play whatever is on sale and of the highest quality. If this is your preference, which other balls work best for you? Last year I played Vice Pro, Srixon and Taylor Made (a) and still am using my old Pentas until they are gone.

Snell. Great golf ball and a much better price than the ‘premium’ ones out there. The MTB Black and the MTB-X.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, Pinger said:

Snell and Vice are both good direct to buyer options, coming in under 30 bucks a dozen when you buy 5 or more dozen, with performance and feel similar to the big dogs (ProV, Calaway, TP5 etc.).

For the future, there is a separate section of the forum dedicated to equipment, which a club section and an accessory section where balls would fall under. A mod may move this, so if you can't find it, that's where it went.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Taylormade TP5X. I usually ask for a couple dozen for Christmas and that lasts me most of the year depending on how much I play. 

I don't have any evidence to back this up, but the TP5X doesnt seems to be affected as much when hitting into the wind compared to other balls I have used previously.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

“We all” are not willing to pay for Pro Vs. I am perfectly happy playing OnCore Avant55, Snell Get Sum or Srixon Soft Feel or Q Star.

• Like 1

(edited)

I’ll be the odd ball (see what I did there) with the optic yellow Callaway Superhot. I’ve tried the more expensive balls, the Snells, PV’s, but I just like the way the Superhots feel when putting and when it comes off the club face. Probably doesn’t perform up to the standards of others here or more accomplished players, but I can’t help what I like. 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2 hours ago, Pinger said:

For play: Titleist ProV1/ProV1X... in yellow.  🙂 I listed both because I end up getting both from family; I don't complain haha.

For practice on my simulator: Titleist PRACTICE ProV1/V1X.  I recommend these to everyone.  Same ball as a regular ball--it just says "PRACTICE" on them and may have slight appearance blemishes, but no performance issues.  Further, they're tournament legal.  It's the flagship model ball at a lower price.  The only reason I don't put these in play is because I like to play yellow golf balls on the course.

59 minutes ago, tehuti said:

“We all” are not willing to pay for Pro Vs. I am perfectly happy playing OnCore Avant55, Snell Get Sum or Srixon Soft Feel or Q Star.

Go with the Titleist Practice ball then.  See my comment below.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Snell and Vice are both good direct to buyer options, coming in under 30 bucks a dozen when you buy 5 or more dozen, with performance and feel similar to the big dogs (ProV, Calaway, TP5 etc.).

For the future, there is a separate section of the forum dedicated to equipment, which a club section and an accessory section where balls would fall under. A mod may move this, so if you can't find it, that's where it went.

Titleist PRACTICE ball is also a good option for only a few dollars more.  See my comment below.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Snell. Great golf ball and a much better price than the ‘premium’ ones out there. The MTB Black and the MTB-X.

It's about the same price as the Titleist Practice ball though.

@ncates00, that's a hard push for one ball. I personally would rather have a non blemished ball that performs the same as a prov1 than have a blemished prov1. I would rather give business to the little guy than the giant. If DTB balls take off hard and the big boys start seeing sales drop off, they are more likely to lower their prices. I understand that's a big long shot, just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

Just now, Bonvivant said:

@ncates00, that's a hard push for one ball. I personally would rather have a non blemished ball that performs the same as a prov1 than have a blemished prov1. I would rather give business to the little guy than the giant. If DTB balls take off hard and the big boys start seeing sales drop off, they are more likely to lower their prices. I understand that's a big long shot, just my 2 cents.

You're misunderstanding (or misreading) what a practice ball is.  They are brand new balls.

Titleist TruFeel.  I'm not good enough to play Pro V-1s.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

6 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

You're misunderstanding (or misreading) what a practice ball is.  They are brand new balls.

I understand what it is perfectly clearly. They are the same in performance as a prov1. My argument is that I would rather give my money to Dean Snell or the Vice guys to put pressure on Acushnet. You seem to be extremely pro exactly that ball and I am giving a reason why I am not.

4 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

@Bonvivant You're that concerned about the visual blemish of the ball?  It's $30 for a brand new ProV1...

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/titleist-pro-v1-practice-golf-balls-16ttlmttlstprv1prgbl/16ttlmttlstprv1prgbl

And Snells and Vice are still cheaper bought in bulk.

Face.jpg

Snell Golf is the leader in the direct to consumer golf ball space. We put the company's new MTB Black to the test against the market-leading Titleist Pro V1

That's a good link to why they aren't different in performance at all.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • Like 1

Again, @Bonvivant, there are no defects or performance issues with the ball.  It's like logo overruns, font is slightly off, etc.  It's a good way to get a premium ball for part of the cost.  And for me, I hit them on my simulator, so I'm not too concerned about hitting a ball into the net, that will eventually crack, that has a logo overrun or appearance issues.  

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

I would rather give my money to Dean Snell or the Vice guys to put pressure on Acushnet.

Ok, fair enough.  I don't really care for the Vice ball at all.  Snell is good though.

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

You seem to be extremely pro exactly that ball and I am giving a reason why I am not.

Yeah just because I can go to my local Wal-Mart or Dunham's to grab them.  When I've tried ordering Snell, they've been backordered.  

4 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Snells are still cheaper bought in bulk.

Only if you get 5 dozen.

Also, @Bonvivant, the MGS guys, according to @iacas and many others on here, are a bit shady with their data tests these days.  They're not as reliable as they once were.  Yeah, they push the Snell ball.  HARD.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Again, @Bonvivant, there are no defects or performance issues with the ball.  It's like logo overruns, font is slightly off, etc.  It's a good way to get a premium ball for part of the cost.  And for me, I hit them on my simulator, so I'm not too concerned about hitting a ball into the net, that will eventually crack, that has a logo overrun or appearance issues.  

Ok, fair enough.  I don't really care for the Vice ball at all.  Snell is good though.

Yeah just because I can go to my local Wal-Mart or Dunham's to grab them.  When I've tried ordering Snell, they've been backordered.  

I get your point, but I haven't run into the backorder issue with Snell, they are a dollar cheaper a dozen, and once again I am putting pressure on Acushnet by buying DTB. A lot of these balls are starting to see lots of play from people. If DTB ends up snagging let's say 25% of premium market share, then the big guys would be more inclined to lower prices by a smidgen, which I think is a good thing. It's just free market stuff that will work itself out in the long run.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!