IGNORED

Which to Do First: Lessons or Fitting?

Ericw
Note: This thread is 1432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve moved to Australia and was only able to bring a limited number of things with me. Unfortunately my clubs were not one of those things. 
     The good news is I’m going to a club fitting and getting some new clubs. My wife also gave me a voucher for three free golf lessons at our club  (I’ve been golfing for nearly twenty years but always open to a good lesson)

My question is, which do I do first, the lessons or the fitting? I’m playing with borrowed clubs at the moment.  Any advice. 

Ericw

• iacas changed the title to Which to Do First: Lessons or Fitting?

Hi @Ericw. Welcome to the site.

1 hour ago, Ericw said:

My question is, which do I do first, the lessons or the fitting?

My answer would be Yes. Get fit and take lessons. 3 lessons sounds like a good start, but believe me when I say that it is ONLY a start. Unless you have natural talent, it will take a lot more than that.

Best of luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Ericw said:

I’ve moved to Australia and was only able to bring a limited number of things with me. Unfortunately my clubs were not one of those things. 
     The good news is I’m going to a club fitting and getting some new clubs. My wife also gave me a voucher for three free golf lessons at our club  (I’ve been golfing for nearly twenty years but always open to a good lesson)

My question is, which do I do first, the lessons or the fitting? I’m playing with borrowed clubs at the moment.  Any advice. 

Ericw

Welcome to TST! 

What is your handicap or what do you usually shoot?

If you know your swing is in a bad place and you struggle to make consistent contact, then it might be worth it to take a lesson or two first then do the fitting. If you hit the ball fairly solid and don't anticipate huge swing changes coming, then you could do the club fitting first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Hands down lessons first.  Admittedly three lessons isn't enough to overhaul your swing, but it might well lead to a few changes in how your clubs fit.  Therefore, take the lessons, have a hopefully grooved swing and then get fit.

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, Ericw said:

My question is, which do I do first, the lessons or the fitting?

I'd say lessons first, but this probably depends on the state of your game. I'm in my second year of routine lessons now, all with the same instructor. The place I take lessons is also a club fitting/building outfit. Over the time I've worked with her, she has done quite a bit of free fitting for me, mostly with regards to getting the correct shafts for my swing. I was able to address one element of fitting without technically having a fitting. Eventually I will have her do a real fitting when I'm ready to invest in a new set of clubs, maybe when I reach some handicap goals.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

(edited)

I would say lessons first unless you are making fairly consistent contact. If you go to the fitting and are not able to make consistent contact to get consistent numbers, many times, the fitter will start helping you with swing issues that may take away from fitting time. And I would assume you would want consistent contact to obtain some kind of consistent numbers to allow the fitter to properly fit you

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

If you get fitted, and buy clubs first, just make sure your clubs can be easily adjusted.

Getting quality lessons after a fitting?, and club purchase could change your fitting/club specs. With adjustable clubs, the need to buy new clubs diminishes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Just now, Ericw said:

Thanks everyone. Super good advice. 

What did you decide if you don't mind me asking? Keep us updated on your progress.

On another note, how do you like Australia?

- Shane

I’ll go with the lessons first. I’ve been playing for over 25 years but can always use lessons. Never too old to learn. I’ll get fitted for some new clubs after that. Spend some time on the driving range for awhile then hit the course. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Ericw said:

I’ll go with the lessons first. I’ve been playing for over 25 years but can always use lessons. Never too old to learn. I’ll get fitted for some new clubs after that. Spend some time on the driving range for awhile then hit the course. 

Good plan

Note: This thread is 1432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!