IGNORED

"Out of Time" by Bill Yates

iacas

50 minutes ago, billchao said:

If every person in a foursome really took 2 minutes every drive, they’d basically be still walking to their second shots by the time the group behind them is supposed to be teeing off. It would probably take over 20 minutes for them to play a single hole.

It usually isn't every player. One or two is what turns what should be a 3:30 round (IMO this is the longest is should take to play a round) into a 5:30 round.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I can agree that rounds shouldn't take 4:30 or more to play, and courses can do a lot to help speed things along.  But you sound like you'd still be impatient at a 4:00 pace

This is pretty accurate, but I am ok with 4:00 for sure.

You have some choice in the matter, you can and should find ways to slow your pace somewhat when you know you can't go "fast", take small measures to decrease the amount of time you spend standing and waiting.  Stroll, don't stride, and you'll enjoy life more.

More golf would be more enjoyable to me, and sometimes its the difference between 18 holes on a weekend day, and what could be 36 holes on that same day. I would gladly stay at the course for 7-8 hours if it meant I got 2 rounds in, but 5-5:30 for one round (with my warm up included) feels like I am getting jipped for my time by others.

I find that its extremely easy to decide how someone else should spend their money.  In this case, you're suggesting that the course spend some money to make your own life better.  But from the business side, they have to decide whether spending that additional money will cause an increase in revenue. 

I mentioned how they have volunteers just sitting around half the time. Put 'em to good use I say.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

It usually isn't every player. One or two is what turns what should be a 3:30 round (IMO this is the longest is should take to play a round) into a 5:30 round.

5:30 is definitely slow, but 3:30 is well under what most courses consider the expected pace of play. You like to play fast, but you can’t expect everyone else to accommodate that.

Just now, billchao said:

5:30 is definitely slow, but 3:30 is well under what most courses consider the expected pace of play. You like to play fast, but you can’t expect everyone else to accommodate that.

I agree. I suppose that I would be ok with up to 4:30, as long as I can't see a particular person that "takes all day". The wannabe Brysons or Holmes are the ones I take issue with.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Most courses are pace rated for 4 hours to 4 1/2 hours.

My original point is also that if you are pushing people on a golf course that’s over 50% saturated you’re causing problems, not solutions.

I think this concept makes sense if you think of it like merging on the highway, when you go from 3 lanes to 2, or similar. If everyone could just zipper in at, say, 55 mph, you're still slowing down, but it's much better than when people try to slam into a spot where there isn't room, everyone slams on brakes, and we're at 15 mph.

• Administrator

Just like traffic…

37f00f9b8828af6c85ff957afc9cc9476c1bf268

In heavy traffic, drivers moderate their speed, causing those behind to slow slightly. That generates a ripple effect down the line of traffic.

• 9 months later...

I ordered and received my copy of this book a couple days ago after reading discussion in the What Constitutes Slow Play thread, where it seems like the overall sentiment is that slow play is caused by slow golfers - Bill Yates, the "Pace of Play Guru" thinks otherwise. I'm about half way through, and so far I it has been enlightening, and I am looking forward to completing it. I'll probably re-read it when I finish and take some notes on what the book presents.

The way the book is organized makes it a little difficult to get all of the critical information about causes/solutions for slow play on the first pass. It could be that the book was somewhat rushed due the author's health situation (cancer diagnosis) that prompted him to transfer the knowledge he had acquired through many years of consulting onto paper (he thought that he might literally be "out of time", and he passed away in 2018). At least in the first half of the book, the actual knowledge he is disseminating is woven between personal stories and more opinion type writing about golf, and what makes golf great, etc. I am enjoying his perspectives in these parts of the book, but I will definitely re-read, just focusing on the PoP stuff.

This probably won't be a book I keep on my bookshelf eternally. If any TST'ers would like my copy when I finished, I'd be happy to send it to someone else, who can then pay it forward when they're done.

• 1 month later...

Excellent book, easy to read and understand, well written. I have known the author since childhood, and never met a more humble, honest, and knowledgeable person. As the expert in the field of golf experiences, he speaks the truth. "So let it be written, So let it be done."