IGNORED

Changes in Teaching Better Players

iacas
Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to Changes in Teaching Better Players

Good read. I've never thought about utilizing a reverse K setup for anything other than the driver. I'd imagine the magnitude of the hip shift forward is quite a bit less when applied to the iron setup versus the driver. 

What do you think about the idea of simultaneously adopting this slight setup change while beginning to work on adding some "flow" in an attempt to minimize the obvious pitfall of making the sway much too pronounced?

Edited by Grizvok
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/3/2020 at 7:53 PM, iacas said:

For better players, I talk about more "flow" stuff. I let the right hip look like it moves back an inch or so. The way I talk about a lot of things is a little different. I don't teach "one swing" but I do have one general system of what I think is right, but within that, I have preferences for different types of players. The player who is an 18 who wants to become a 10 and won't really spend a lot of time practicing gets something different than the motivated 6 handicapper trying to become scratch.

Wouldn't call myself a better player and this might be slightly offtopic, but I really loved the wave theory you spoke about in day 10 drill.

I can feel and almost see the wave, must be that we are 60% water. 😄 Bruce Lee would approve what you are saying above.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, iacas said:

Hands A1-A2
Little or no depth with the hands to 2 or even feeling forearm counter rotation in takeaway for players that bank the club inward.

From DL, the "curve" of the "hula hoop" is basically negligible in the direction of "depth from A1-A2, so what appears to be "straight back. A2 depends on how quickly a player hinges the club, of course, but most good players have a pretty narrow range here. I probably allow a little more hand depth than Mike would like, but often I feel that's a matter of other things being a priority. I like to see the hands go slightly inward the first half of the backswing while the latter half becomes about more "ascent," but even then a lot of that "slightly" is after 1.75 or so.

As a brief aside, I think my own swing is shaping up in this regard nicely. I'd get too shallow, too low, and my wrists would react poorly at the top given what I'd done to get there. I now feel like my hands go out away from me from A1-A2.5, but of course they don't actually.

As for the counter-rotation, I'll have Mike clarify perhaps, as we've taught this to even poorer players. The feeling that the right hand stays "on top" a bit longer is very helpful in not swinging the clubhead well behind the player, and in keeping the face a bit "squarer" (or at least not flopping it open) longer.

I find myself working on A1 to A2.5 with many players (not single digit golfers), specifically on getting more rotation in the hips, thus leading to slightly more depth with the hands.  But, I like the idea of almost counter rotation and the right arm staying on top for a bit.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 4 weeks later...

I've definitely been working on keeping the face pointed at the ground for longer and not be completely toe up at A2

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!