IGNORED

Talking to a Competitor About Their Shot Before They Hit

MattM
Note: This thread is 949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The same thing happened to me in my first golf league. I was in the final group and they kept trash talking and discussing how hard certain holes were. I had my best 9 hole round of the year and won first place. They didn’t talk after that!

I suppose its always possible that they weren't "trash talking". Maybe they actually thought those holes were really hard? 

20 hours ago, Hardluckster said:

Years ago, in a small local 2 day tourney, I was playing in the final 3-person grouping in our flight. When we get to the 16th tee, my competitor announces that “the last 3 holes are all in your head” (the two of us were even at this point and we were fairly certain the two of us are battling for first place unless someone else had had a miraculous round).

His intent was clear. Everyone there knew that he was trying to “rattle my cage”.

Long story short, I beat him by 3 strokes over the last 3 holes and won the flight.

Whenever I play with him now (whether casual or otherwise), on the 16th tee I always announce that “the last 3 holes are all in your head”. 😂

That’s how you deal with trash talk, imo. 

Is it possible that they weren't "trash talking". Maybe they actually thought the last 3 holes were really hard? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

56 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Is it possible that they weren't "trash talking". Maybe they actually thought the last 3 holes were really hard? 

No, it is not at all possible. This person will readily tell you today that he was trying to “game” me and that it went totally wrong.

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

There's a tradition within my group of friends at our home course that, if you hit a nice drive on the last hole, someone might say "$lastname hit a fine drive."  However, that's a reference to the plaque nearby commemorating the time Arnold Palmer made a 12 on the hole during the L.A. Open, despite hitting a fine drive.  We do not make this remark during tournaments, although I did hear it in my head during each round of the recent club championship as the ball left the club on my second shot on that hole each day (I hit fine drives and was in position to go for the green in two, and did so attempt -- pitching my third onto the green all three days).

Anyway, so I think I'm agreeing with your statement.  There's trash talk, friendly banter, and honest commentary.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I suppose its always possible that they weren't "trash talking". Maybe they actually thought those holes were really hard? 

Nah, they were definitely trying to get in my head.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

And who says gamesmanship does not occur at the pro level?  OK, this was at a Pro-Am but still a little gamesmanship going on.

4a2dd412f607181943274e0c877da446

Nothing quite like a Tuesday pro-am with Phil Mickelson. Harry Higgs learned that first-hand at The Northern Trust.

To quote: “I’m hitting a Callaway [golf ball] with a jumping me on it ... it’s from when I won the Masters. What are you guys using?” Phil Mickelson deadpanned as the normally quiet first tee at Liberty National erupted with laughter.

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

And who says gamesmanship does not occur at the pro level?  OK, this was at a Pro-Am but still a little gamesmanship going on.

4a2dd412f607181943274e0c877da446

Nothing quite like a Tuesday pro-am with Phil Mickelson. Harry Higgs learned that first-hand at The Northern Trust.

To quote: “I’m hitting a Callaway [golf ball] with a jumping me on it ... it’s from when I won the Masters. What are you guys using?” Phil Mickelson deadpanned as the normally quiet first tee at Liberty National erupted with laughter.

Tiger would reply, “I’m using the putter I won 14 of my 15 majors with.” 😜

Scott

My Swing Thread

23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger would reply, “I’m using the putter I won 14 of my 15 majors with.” 😜

True, but the key to gamesmanship is not giving an easy opening to the other person so likely he would not have pulled this particular one on Tiger.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

12 minutes ago, StuM said:

True, but the key to gamesmanship is not giving an easy opening to the other person so likely he would not have pulled this particular one on Tiger.

Tiger is pretty well known for trash talking. He and Phil go back and forth.

Phil knows the difference between their career achievements but that doesn’t stop him from talking back.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Tiger is pretty well known for trash talking. He and Phil go back and forth.

Phil knows the difference between their career achievements but that doesn’t stop him from talking back.

Absolutely true.  Phil talked about this a in an interview with Flaherty.  

Stuart M.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Ruler said:

It is a well known fact that Phil is not a popular guy among the PGA Tour players.

20 years ago you’d have a point.

Not the last 10-15.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

I played with a guy yesterday who many would have thought was trying-to-get-into-your-head-guy, but I think he's just more likely a socially awkward goof. 

A buddy and I played yesterday morning. We were paired up with another twosome. No big deal. 

One of the guys we were paired up with for some odd reason felt the need to read everyone's putt for them. 

"Oh, this putt breaks way more than you think it does...." 

"Right near the hole its going to turn way left..." 

"Wow, these greens are really difficult...." 

The funny part was that he very well may have been the absolute worst putter I've ever met. 

I think he was just a nervous guy who's nervousness translated to chatter and his chatter translated to reading everyone's putts. You know you talk too much when I think you talk too much, because I know that I talk too much. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That must have been a chatty group!

We were both pretty chatty. But I'm witty and charming, so that makes it okay..... 

• Funny 3

52 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

We were both pretty chatty. But I'm witty and charming, so that makes it okay..... 

Classic Film No GIF by Warner Archive

• Funny 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!