IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

😭 Missed a 15' putt that would have been for eagle today.😭  ...12 - repeat birdie.  I've got 4 holes left. 

I don't think I'll get hole 6 (420yd par 4, uphill) unless I get a lucky chip-in.

I'll need a bit of luck on 13 too (220yd par 3, and I struggle to hit the green most times).  Now that the wind is often from the north, I might get one though!

Holes 11 (380yd par 4)and 15 (160yd par 3) should be doable though.  It's just perplexing that I haven't got them yet. Probably 5-8 more rounds this calendar year.

I still haven’t birdied the stupid 12th hole, par 3. I’ve had the last month off for leave. I go back at it again Sunday. I got a month and a half to work it out.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am checking back in to say I am still waiting on 16 to finish this challenge. Something tells me it will be the first birdie of the next year's challenge which will be cruel irony! 

• Funny 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Added a new birdie on #9 today. Five left to go in 6 weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Five left, all feel like difficult holes:

• #1, par-4, 400 yards: Simple and wide hole, but it plays about 100-ft uphill tee to green, and fairway is severely sloped left to right in addition to uphill. Green is on a shelf shaped into a steep slope, and not visible for the approach. I always have issues making solid contact on the approach shot due to uphill/sidehill lie, and judging correct distance is challenging due to the elevation change. Only one birdie here in the last 4.5 years for me, so this is the biggest obstacle.
  • #7, par-3, 180 yards: This one plays anywhere between 170-200 yards. I struggle to hit the green on this hole, but there aren't really any features that make it terribly difficult.
  • #11, par-3 200 yards: This one plays anywhere between 190-220 yards. In my opinion, this is the hardest par-3 on the course. I rarely hit the green here. Probably the 2nd biggest obstacle to completing all 18 holes this season.
  • #14, par-4, 330 yards: Short but narrow, uphill with a slightly elevated tee, and slight dogleg left, just enough so that taking an aggressive line off the tee requires hitting over a tree line that will eat up low balls. An offline tee shot left or right with any club will result in a punch out recovery, or a "hero" attempt to reach the green. Usually my play is 7-iron into a flat spot in the fairway, then 8 or 9-iron approach uphill to the green (surface not visible for approach shot). Driver off the tee is big risk/reward, so since I am trying to get birdie, I have been hitting driver on this hole. Good ball with driver will leave anywhere from 30-70 yard pitch to the green, but a bad ball with driver is pretty much guaranteed lost.
  • #17: par -4, 380 yards: Decent tee shot to a wide-ish, and flat fairway leaves a simple approach to one of the larger greens on the course. If a tee shot misses left or right, the ball will be findable but brings a lot of tree trouble into play. My play off the tee is 3W or hybrid because the elevated tee adds some distance to the tee shot, usually leaving 130-150 yards in. This is probably the most gettable of the remaining holes to birdie.
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I had birdie putts on 6, 11, and 13 today - three of the four holes I haven't birdied yet.  They were all over 30', and I missed them all. 😞

Next time!

• Thumbs Up 1

My home course is now closed for the season so -5 is the best I could do.  A year ago was -10 so I have some work to do to get at least back to where I once was.  Did a bit better on the "Away" Challenge.  Never could do #1 or #5.  Last year I was -18, this year -17 but with only 16 subpar holes.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty fun challenge, hope to see one for 2022 now that I am able to golf again.

When I first took up golf (quite a long time ago, now that I think about it), I played a lot at a 9 hole Exec.  I used to keep track of which holes I pared, then birdies as I improved.  Have never done it anywhere else, but this thread is nostalgic and makes want to join in.

I cut it close. Finally birdied the par 3, 12th today. Gave myself a 3ft birdie look. Even with my horrible putting lately, I wasn’t going to miss that one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Two amazing birdies on Monday.  Both par 5's and both brilliant third shots to within tap in distance.  Number 2 and 15.  15 was even better since I was hitting over water and hit a SW flop shot from inside 50 yards.  2 was a more open shot and the PW was distance perfect, from inside 100 yards. :banana:

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• iacas unpinned this topic

Hole 16 remains elusive and I am running out of chances. Three wood crushed and knock down from 125 into the wind, 20 footer lips out crushing my spirit. My playing partner, in the spirit for me to complete this challenge, was more excited than me as the ball was tracking on a 2 foot break as it spun out on the pro side.  And then he tells me its the easiest hole on the course (rated 14)! 🤣

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The hole that has eluded me is the second hole. And at the three courses I most frequent the second hole is a par 3, and I have aced two of them in the past.

Whatever. Next year is a new challenge.

Note: This thread is 852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!