IGNORED

PGA Tour's New Headquarters

iacas
Note: This thread is 1168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
f31796af-9d83-4f9d-b70f-eed51fc8e6e2-Tou

The PGA Tour is opening its Global Home in February to 25 percent capacity for its nearly 300 employees on the First Coast.

pgatourhq.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to PGA Tour's New Headquarters
  • Administrator

Can you elaborate? You're a f***ng architect after all, John. 🙂

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you elaborate? You're a f***ng architect after all, John. 🙂

Isn’t understatement supposed to be a high complement?

image.gif.77fc6cea09255616c7056230d38fe656.gif

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Isn’t understatement supposed to be a high complement?

image.gif.77fc6cea09255616c7056230d38fe656.gif

Ha ha.

John and I talk about architecture when we're playing all the time. Mostly, we like to count how many different roofs are on various McMansions.

That's a pretty big water hazard...er....Penalty Area!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

How often is this place going to flood? It's just probably just an effect of the pictures, but it looks like a few inches of rain could inundate the walkways and start coming in the front door.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I wonder what the markup is when you hire the architects famous for designing whatever is en vogue for the day. These guys designed the Apple campus or some of it I think. I tried getting a Google satellite of it but I guess it hasn't been updated yet or maybe I'm getting the address wrong. Photos of interior and exterior in piece below.

692bba91-a256-4d59-8059-07333c9efb0e-Tou

The PGA Tour unveiled its new Global Home in Ponte Vedra Beach. Employees will begin moving there in February.

Photos of the gym

Is this right?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I wonder what the markup is when you hire the architects famous for designing whatever is en vogue for the day.

Just my impression, as an engineer and lowly subcontractor, but I imagine architects fees are a really small portion of the total cost of almost any building.  I found an estimate of the total cost of the project at $65 million.  I've read guides that suggest the typical architectural fees might be somewhere around 5% of total cost, depending on a huge number of factors.  Would the "hot architect" command a fee of 50% more than "average".  That might add a million bucks, maybe a million and a half?  But if that "hot architect" makes the project more complex it drives up construction cost, if the architect specs high-dollar flooring or doorknobs or wall coverings or furniture, that might have MUCH greater impact on total cost.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Just my impression, as an engineer and lowly subcontractor, but I imagine architects fees are a really small portion of the total cost of almost any building.  I found an estimate of the total cost of the project at $65 million.  I've read guides that suggest the typical architectural fees might be somewhere around 5% of total cost, depending on a huge number of factors.  Would the "hot architect" command a fee of 50% more than "average".  That might add a million bucks, maybe a million and a half?  But if that "hot architect" makes the project more complex it drives up construction cost, if the architect specs high-dollar flooring or doorknobs or wall coverings or furniture, that might have MUCH greater impact on total cost.

If only we knew an architect with a stupid username from his college video game playing days… Right @Hardspoon?

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I wonder what the markup is when you hire the architects famous for designing whatever is en vogue for the day. These guys designed the Apple campus or some of it I think. I tried getting a Google satellite of it but I guess it hasn't been updated yet or maybe I'm getting the address wrong. Photos of interior and exterior in piece below.

692bba91-a256-4d59-8059-07333c9efb0e-Tou

The PGA Tour unveiled its new Global Home in Ponte Vedra Beach. Employees will begin moving there in February.

Photos of the gym

Is this right?

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

We had an addition put on our cottage and renovated the kitchen. The architect and engineering fees were about 10% of the project. There was some special bracing needed and due to the proximity of the ocean other requirements.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I wonder what the markup is when you hire the architects famous for designing whatever is en vogue for the day. These guys designed the Apple campus or some of it I think. 

Yeah, Foster & Partners did the Apple campus (the famous "ring" building).   I'd guess their most famous building is the Gherkin in London:

cpttna.jpg

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

5% is probably a decent average for a large project that size.  A lot depends on the project type...something repetitive like multi-family housing might have a fee of 2%, whereas a complicated restoration of a historic building could be up above 10%.

I have never seen any good data on what the true "starchitects" can charge, but I've heard numbers like 20%.

The bigger cost, as you mention, is that projects with those types of architects tend to end up WILDLY over budget.  They are also notoriously difficult to maintain, with all sorts of maintenance and repair required after they're built (not surprising given their adventurous designs).

At the same time, I haven't really seen much about Foster & Partners indicating they fall in that category despite their prestige.

Back to the building...I think the coolest thing about it is the "building within a building" design...it almost reads like a tent or canopy over two separate office buildings...and the connection to the water.

image.png

On 1/31/2021 at 5:01 PM, iacas said:

John and I talk about architecture when we're playing all the time. Mostly, we like to count how many different roofs are on various McMansions.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-26-at-2.45.58-PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

- John

On 2/2/2021 at 5:32 AM, DeadMan said:

How often is this place going to flood? It's just probably just an effect of the pictures, but it looks like a few inches of rain could inundate the walkways and start coming in the front door.

One would assume that someone who is arguably the greatest living architect and runs the world's most prestigious architecture firm would have considered this. :-)

Regarding Foster and Associates' fees, in 2017 there was a lawsuit where a hotel that was not built had its construction budget more than doubled.

The initial projection cost was in the order of 70 million pounds and Foster's expenses/fees ( and those of his associates) were in the vicinity of 4 million pounds.

One of their projects in Saudi Arabia (all 46 stations of the Jeddah Metro) was priced at $12 billion and the company's fee was projected at $160 million.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, DeadMan said:

They would no doubt have a good drainage system built in there.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:43 AM, Golfingdad said:

They would no doubt have a good drainage system built in there.

Exactly...see, THAT part is the civil engineer's problem.  ;)

• Like 1

- John

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Aguirre said:

I'm sure glad architecture is an accepted topic on this site.

In fact I wish we had more of it.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

In fact I wish we had more of it.

Golf course architecture? Love the idea. Buildings? Meh. 

We could do a good thread on western PA and northeast OH courses. I bet we've played most of them. I don't think there would be many others who care, though.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 1168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!