IGNORED

My Favourite Tipple!

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I basically stick to the advised limit of about 20 units of alcohol per day, sorry week, but its not easy.

I love alcohol. I have a rather large selection of scotch, love my gin and rum is just to die for. 

My favourite scotch, in an affordable price range, is Laphroaigh Quarter Cask (pernounced Lafroyg). Its been aged in an oak cask, a quarter of the size of modern standard casks, so it has a rich taste of oaky/woodiness. It's 48% proof and it's strong smokiness hits you like a sledgehammer. It's a typical Isle of Islay masterpiece (pernounced Isle-ah) that, with the first sip, would frighten most of you girlies on this forum but getting past that initial smokiness and oak will lead to its dreamy tones. I immediately notice subtle notes of sea salt and there's also hints of wheat and oats but my favourite is the emergence of what I can only describe as a honeyed turf flavour. This whisky will clear your sinuses so please sip it gently and swirl it for at least 10 seconds in your mouth to extract these wonderful notes. I like to swish it through my teeth, like rinsing my mouth with mouthwash.

At about $40 to $50 a bottle, this is worth trying. If you like it put a few dollars in an envelope and send it to the usual address. ;-)

I have over 25 favourite scotches - Blended, Highland, Island, Lowland and Speyside.

Perhaps some of you have a similar passion?

P.S. -  A.A. members are banned from this conversation

Island Laphroaigh Quarter Cask.jpg

My whisky preference is for a bit less peat than Laphroig typically exhibits.  My favorite is Caol Ila.  On a hot summer day, I love gin (Tanquerray) and tonic (Schweppes) with lime, and I drink beer pretty much year round.  My favorites are American pale ales and India Pale Ales.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

I basically stick to the advised limit of about 20 units of alcohol per day, sorry week, but its not easy.

So job one for the Yank was to figure out what a unit of alcohol is. Unless the explanation I landed on led me astray, the average beer has two units.  Can't say 20+ units has never happened, but it does need to happen a lot less. 

I'm a beer drinker and no matter how badly the first 18 holes go, the 19th is usually done right. Only very rarely do I hit liquor and when I do it is usually bourbon. Woodford Reserve is the go to. Took a really neat tour down there in Kentucky a few years ago.

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

My whisky preference is for a bit less peat than Laphroig typically exhibits.  My favorite is Caol Ila.  On a hot summer day, I love gin (Tanquerray) and tonic (Schweppes) with lime, and I drink beer pretty much year round.  My favorites are American pale ales and India Pale Ales.  

I thought I said no A.A. :beer:

A nice choice but for me Bunnahabain (pernounced Bunna-ha-vain) takes it for the milder Islay whiskies.

There's a well priced Japanese gin called Roku which tastes perfect with Thomas Hendry tonic and mixed citrus fruit garnish and a sprig of mint.

Beer yuck, except a cold Guinness on a hot day at the nineteenth.

Island Bunnahabain.jpg

A place I think you'll enjoy, or perhaps you've been there already, is Dornoch, Scotland.  Of course the golf is outstanding, and the Glenmorangie distillery is just down the road in Tain, but at the Dornoch Castle Hotel the bar has an amazing selection of whisky, including a large selection of really rare and discontinued bottles.

I'm also a fan of Guinness, but I've found that having it in the States isn't the same as having it in Ireland.  I don't know if the actual beverage is different, or if the surroundings make it better in its home country.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

So job one for the Yank was to figure out what a unit of alcohol is. Unless the explanation I landed on led me astray, the average beer has two units.  Can't say 20+ units has never happened, but it does need to happen a lot less. 

I'm a beer drinker and no matter how badly the first 18 holes go, the 19th is usually done right. Only very rarely do I hit liquor and when I do it is usually bourbon. Woodford Reserve is the go to. Took a really neat tour down there in Kentucky a few years ago.

Women used to be 15 units a week and men 25 but they recently realised that chicks can hold it better than they thought and men could do with taking a lot less. I do know if you stick to under 20 a week you don't have any problem.

Another beer I love is a combination...

A sweet Black and Tan - 50% ale and 50% sweet stout - delicious.

Bourbon? When you have been brought up on Scotch, where's the need?

My whisky of choice is Jack but usually I'm a beer guy.

20 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

After reading this I was a little worried for @JuliWooli until I reread the post and confirmed it was 20 units per week, not per day.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

A place I think you'll enjoy, or perhaps you've been there already, is Dornoch, Scotland.  Of course the golf is outstanding, and the Glenmorangie distillery is just down the road in Tain, but at the Dornoch Castle Hotel the bar has an amazing selection of whisky, including a large selection of really rare and discontinued bottles.

I'm also a fan of Guinness, but I've found that having it in the States isn't the same as having it in Ireland.  I don't know if the actual beverage is different, or if the surroundings make it better in its home country.

I would love to go. Golf and distillery. Glenmorangie (pernounced Glen m-orangey like orangey and not mor-angy like angie)

I visited the Isle of Skye, beautiful but never got to see the distilleries or golf courses.

Guinness these days travels well, in Europe anyway. The best one I ever tasted was in Dublin Airport

5 minutes ago, StuM said:

My whisky of choice is Jack but usually I'm a beer guy.

We use Jack Daniels No.7 to clean our golf clubs. Gets right into the grooves. Super results!

Its ok diluted with coke and ice, kinda spoils the coke and ice but it's drinkable.

11 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Bourbon? When you have been brought up on Scotch, where's the need?

When you haven't been brought up on scotch, bourbon is great IMO. 

Weller's Special Reserve and 1792 Small Batch are two of my favorites especially when factoring in the price.

I do drink them straight, preferably on the rocks, but the price point of both makes me not feel bad when I do make them into a cocktail like a Kentucky Mule or add in a splash of coke or lemonade.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

When you haven't been brought up on scotch, bourbon is great IMO. 

Weller's Special Reserve and 1792 Small Batch are two of my favorites especially when factoring in the price.

I do drink them straight, preferably on the rocks, but the price point of both makes me not feel bad when I do make them into a cocktail like a Kentucky Mule or add in a splash of coke or lemonade.

I love Moscow Mules. 2 parts vodka, stacks of ice, 6 parts ginger beer, a squeeze of lime and a few sprigs of mint. Yummy!

I'm guessing the Bourbon replaces the vodka in the kentucky

Moscow Mule.jpg

Edited by JuliWooli

27 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

We use Jack Daniels No.7 to clean our golf clubs. Gets right into the grooves. Super results!

I tried that once, but the ball could not travel straight, it was all over the place like a drunken sailor.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Talking about units, I used to be much higher. As a teenager I was ridiculous, easily 100+ per week, but that's fairly normal for a party girl. From the age of about 21 this improved dramatically to about 50 and since then much lower but I can still knock it back on the odd cheat night. In fact I drunk two bottles of a strong Chardonnay 13% at a family dinner recently.

Never again! Ouch! Whisper please!

18 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

I'm guessing the Bourbon replaces the vodka in the kentucky

Had an old, very serious fella once explain to me that there were two proper ways to drink his bourbon, neat or with an ice cube.

Vodka is typically something people use for mixed drinks. 

Edited by mcanadiens

I have become a bourbon fan in the past last year or so. I like a nice whisky sour in the summer and old fashions year round. But my weakness is beer.....IPA's and some pale ales. I would like to think I'm something of an "expert" on those. I have had hundreds from different states etc. There are so many good ones.....so little time. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

21 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Had an old, very serious fella once explain to me that there were two proper ways to drink his bourbon, neat or with an ice cube.

Ice just freezes the taste buds. I would add a dash of water to some whiskies as there is a mild chemical reaction (probably not the exact terminology) which alters the notes.

21 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Vodka is typically something people use for mixed drinks. 

Not if you are Eastern European, they drink it like Wasser! But yes, for less primative people, mix and match.

Sorry, did I say primative, I meant cultured.

OK cool it!

Just f***in' with the reds.

18 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I like a nice whisky sour in the summer and old fashions year round.

I never got to master the old fashioned. Brown sugar, orange wheels, bitters mulched together etc etc. Didn't do it for me. I much prefer a whiskey sour, at least its shaken and served with a heap of ice. You can miss out the egg white with mine thanks, I wouldn't put that raw shit in anything. One however is my limit, a bit to rich for me.

sour amaretto.png

Edited by JuliWooli

8 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Ice just freezes the taste buds. I would add a dash of water to some whiskies as there is a mild chemical reaction (probably not the exact terminology) which alters the notes.

Well you don't over do it with the ice. Really just drop a single cube in there. As it melts it cuts some of the heavier tastes from bourbon and lets the more subtle flavors become more noticeable.  I guess water would do the same thing, but the ice cube makes it a more gradual process.

9 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Not if you are Eastern European, they drink it like Wasser! But yes, for less primative people, mix and match.

I think it is true that your hard-core alcoholics will often go to the cheapest vodka they can find and drink it like wasser. After all, it doesn't taste like much. Just consumed to get drunk. Sort of depressing to see the crap that finds its way onto the top 10 most-sold lists. 

2 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Well you don't over do it with the ice. Really just drop a single cube in there. As it melts it cuts some of the heavier tastes from bourbon and lets the more subtle flavors become more noticeable.  I guess water would do the same thing, but the ice cube makes it a more gradual process.

"Away 'n` bile yer heid ya mug ye. Ye canny pit feckin' ice in yer whisky." I can hear my old grandfather rattlin' in his grave. "Chuck him oot!"

I think he means block him from this thread. But he's long gone so you can stay. :dance:

11 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I think it is true that your hard-core alcoholics will often go to the cheapest vodka they can find and drink it like wasser.

Wait a minute... Hard-core alcoholics, uncultured, primative. I`m glad I don't drink vodka like the E. Europeans

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!