IGNORED

2021 Honda Classic

Beastie
Note: This thread is 1130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve not much to say about the golf but here’s Wesley Bryant playing out the swamp..........he was 9 over at the time😀

86648EC6-2252-4D13-9B41-A47A30902E2A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Stevie T

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Beastie said:

I’ve not much to say about the golf but here’s Wesley Bryant playing out the swamp..........he was 9 over at the time😀

He chunked the first attempt too, didn’t he?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

He chunked the first attempt too, didn’t he?

Yes. Yes he did. Looked like he had knee high socks on after he came out of the mud too. 

Stevie T

This is another camera angle.

lf.jpeg

• Funny 3

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

3 hours ago, Beastie said:

I saw that! I think he should have been kicked off the course for improper golf attire! No white belt!  😁

Also saw the 342 yard drive from Mickleson on 18. That guy can still swing a club!

• Funny 1

Just got back from the Honda. It was pretty bizarre seeing a PGA Tour event on a Saturday and there being so few fans around. But it was a rare opportunity to get close to the action. Had a lot of fun today walking several miles in the nice weather. I put together a little video of some of the stuff I recorded. The highlight of it all was telling Steve Stricker "nice putt" after a birdie and him responding "thank you." That means we're winning the Ryder Cup this year.

That's Adam Hadwin whistling and Camilo helicoptering his finish btw. Good times 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

And Azinger makes the ever so common and ignorant statement announcers make:

‘ Matt Jones...yeah I don’t know why this guy isn’t a household name. He does everything well.’

Why isn’t he? Because he’s won like twice in 20 years. All these guys are amazing golfers. MJ? He’s a dime a dozen. Nothing he does stands out except for...not winning.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I enjoy watching golf on TV but I'm sorry to say that I had difficulty getting too enthused for this tourney. I'm happy for Jones and he seemed to hold it together pretty well but I didn't really have anyone I was rooting for and, as it finished, it really wasn't very close. Oh, well. There' always next week.

57 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I enjoy watching golf on TV but I'm sorry to say that I had difficulty getting too enthused for this tourney. I'm happy for Jones and he seemed to hold it together pretty well but I didn't really have anyone I was rooting for and, as it finished, it really wasn't very close. Oh, well. There' always next week.

I agree. Snooze fest. And Azinger’s commentary didn’t help. I was hoping MJ would struggle through the Bear Trap to make it interesting. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I liked the graphic showing the number of balls in the water at the Bear Trap this week. Over 250 balls, far more than even #17 at TPC Sawgrass. Definitely was surprising, but I liked that they had the edge by the water all mic'ed up for the splashes.

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I agree. Snooze fest. And Azinger’s commentary didn’t help. I was hoping MJ would struggle through the Bear Trap to make it interesting. 

Yes...not much drama on Sunday. The only reason I watch the Honda is because I've played there a few times. That course is brutal. I guess the pros don't like the course that much because half the tour lives right there and does not play the event. Of course I think with schedule this year, the Honda got kinda screwed. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

39 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

drama

I don't know why folks get hung up over this when it comes to golf, or sports more generally. I just like watching good play by players I like. I mean, if you replace Matt Jones with Dustin Johnson or someone more popular, and the chasers were also other popular players, people probably wouldn't have pointed to a lack of "drama." 

I follow the same reasoning when it comes to other sports. I have my favorite teams and players, but when they're not playing, I'm not looking for "drama." I just want to watch a good game. That, in and of itself, is not drama. It's athletes doing their job at the highest level, and thereby entertaining. But perhaps, that is your definition of "drama." It's not mine, nor do I think it is in common parlance.

56 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I don't know why folks get hung up over this when it comes to golf, or sports more generally. I just like watching good play by players I like. I mean, if you replace Matt Jones with Dustin Johnson or someone more popular, and the chasers were also other popular players, people probably wouldn't have pointed to a lack of "drama." 

For this tournament, it wouldn’t have mattered who was at the end. A five shot lead with 3 to go? That’s boring. As far as the players, we know it’s less likely to see Wise fire some magnificent shots to overtake the leader compared to say, JT. That was the snooze part of it. That’s why Wise and Jones aren’t household names and JT, DJ are.

Edited by Vinsk

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

it wouldn’t have mattered who was at the end

I disagree. If it were Tiger (take the current medical issues out of it for this purpose), Rory, Spieth, Bryson, or someone like that at this tournament, we wouldn't have batted an eye or said it was boring. We probably wouldn't have even if it were DJ; it would be another "DJ destroys the field...again" type deal, and we would continue to be in awe of DJ. 

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

A five shot lead with 3 to go? That’s boring.

I agree, but I think 1) it depends on who it is, i.e, is it one of your favorite players, and 2) it may be boring, but I don't need "drama" to enjoy it. I don't consider 5 up with 3 to go a lack of drama, nor do I consider 5 players tied down the stretch drama.

Honda was very stingy with the corporate hook-ups this year due to Covid so as a Community Partner we got nada. Even the members of PGA National didn't get the usual deal. So this year no Bear Trap Exclusives, but I found some ground passes for next to nothing so I went on Friday. I took a few pics, but here are my favorites. 

Lee, with son caddying. This guy is a beast at 47. Not a stellar performance, but maybe that's because his girlfriend was not on the bag. That was the number one complaint from the gallery. 

IMG_2800.thumb.jpg.01484f98eefb671fe77b95274e06d6c6.jpg

Classic Poulter pout stance. He outdrove the group and had a flip wedge into the green and backed it off the surface. So he stands there for 15 seconds. If you ever get a chance to follow him, do it. One of the more entertaining guys out there with plenty of personality. 

IMG_2810.thumb.jpg.a20b5637be6dbef745b6b84b4a7d0836.jpg

Phil just hit the tree and the guy standing next to me with a severe ricochet that gave him a great angle. He's a rail now, losing the Hefty Lefty moniker. 

IMG_2811.thumb.jpg.d1a7a27b8743c64dc1e3797dca477d1e.jpg

Phil after making a 125 yard wedge look easy. It was a pretty easy shot, but the gallery was in awe. He did break face once when he assessed his lie and some young guy 3 feet away says, "Hitting long and dirty bombs all day long!" Phil gave a nod and a grin and back into business mode.

IMG_2812.thumb.jpg.6541eb5f01ab9921c917735e1183b70b.jpg

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

That’s why Wise and Jones aren’t household names

They are in their own homes! And maybe their parents houses. 

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

They are in their own homes! And maybe their parents houses. 

Lol. Yeah, I just get so tired of announcers jumping the gun on a new kid or acting like a ‘never been great’ player really should be a great one. No. It’s the PGA TOUR and it’s incredibly difficult to be a big name. They said the same thing with me Wise won the Byron Nelson in 2018. He’s been a ghost ever since. Just let it go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!