IGNORED

Fairway Wood or Hybrid?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 1099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those longer holes and par 5s... I usually hit my long irons pretty well for those shots just under 200 yds. I have a Cobra BioCell hybrid for those longer fairway shots. It’s pretty old, but very trusty when needed. I have been considering a fairway wood (3) for those shots off the fairway that are a bit further than the hybrid will take me. However, for the money and the amount of time I would use it poses the question. How often do you go flagstick hunting from that far away? Is to better to layup on the par 5s and then chip/pitch to try to get up and down? Looking for insights on what you all do here with hybrid / fairway wood question. 

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

For those longer holes and par 5s... I usually hit my long irons pretty well for those shots just under 200 yds. I have a Cobra BioCell hybrid for those longer fairway shots. It’s pretty old, but very trusty when needed. I have been considering a fairway wood (3) for those shots off the fairway that are a bit further than the hybrid will take me. However, for the money and the amount of time I would use it poses the question. How often do you go flagstick hunting from that far away? Is to better to layup on the par 5s and then chip/pitch to try to get up and down? Looking for insights on what you all do here with hybrid / fairway wood question. 

I carry a 3 wood for two reasons. 

1. It gives me more chances for eagle. I had an eagle putt last week on a hole that I played driver/3 wood. My hybrids can get me on some par 5s, or close on others. But there are a number of par 5's where I have to go with 3 wood on the second if I want to have a chance at eagle. ... and who doesn't like an eagle putt? 
  2. There are a number of holes where I like to play 3 wood off the tee, for one reason or another. 

If you have room in the bag; I'd recommend putting a 3 wood in there. I know I use my about 3-5 times a round on average. Which is more often than either my gap-wedge or my 5 iron really.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

12 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

I think it depends on how many clubs you already have in your bag, and on your budget.  For myself, I carry a 5-iron that carries 180 or so, a hybrid that works to about 200 yards, 3-wood that flies about 215, and driver that goes 230 to 240 in the air.  I have reasonable confidence hitting any of them, given a reasonable lie and appropriate circumstances around the target.  I wouldn't want to be without that 3-wood.  However, I am NEVER flagstick-hunting with any of those clubs, I'm happy to be on or near the green, or in the fairway, just about any time from those ranges.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Dave325 said:

I have been considering a fairway wood (3) for those shots off the fairway that are a bit further than the hybrid will take me.

I think this is the right mindset. I have a 3w (230 carry), 5w (220 carry), 7w (210 carry), and a 4h (195-200 carry). I love having more options at the longer end of the bag because it’s far easier to finesse a wedge than longer shots while still retaining enough descent angle and spin to hold a green. That’s I went 48*, 54*, and 60* with the wedges.

Back to fairway woods and hybrids, having options will allow you to get on or around the green on longer holes. I have played the longer holes better this year because of the adoption of more fairway woods. After all, generally speaking, being closer to the green is better than laying up because being closer to the hole usually yields an even closer next shot. Clearly, there are times when you should lay up, e.g., the lie is bad, too much trouble/risk for the potential reward, don’t want to short side yourself, etc. But I think the default should be to get it up around the green and have a short shot in if you miss. Moreover, today’s fairway woods are just so easy to hit. Just hit down on them, and the ball launches up around the green.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dave325 said:

How often do you go flagstick hunting from that far away? Is to better to layup on the par 5s and then chip/pitch to try to get up and down? Looking for insights on what you all do here with hybrid / fairway wood question. 

Flagstick hunting from 220-240? I don't count on hitting the green statistically so it's really about where the miss will be. If I can safely get it into a bunker or somewhere with a straightforward chip or pitch I will go for the green or hit it close. If there is a hazard or a particularly nasty short side, I would prefer to lay up. I know that closer is better, but its not better when you have to squeeze a 30 yard pitch over a bunker with the pin cut close. 

As far as a 3 wood, I see it as standard equipment. I cranked mine down to 13.5* and it does more duty off the tee. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Maybe it’s my age catching up to me as I begin to transition to hybrids. I have a 25 degree and a 23 coming in a few days. I play Titleist T200s and the 4 Iron is 21* and the 5 iron is 24*.  My club inventory (all Titleist) is driver, 3WD, 5WD, 7WD, Hybrid 25*, 4-GW, and a Titleist SM8 52* and 56* SW and putter.  What I tend to do is set my bag up for play depending on what course I play.

The Hybrids will replace the 4 and 5 irons most of the times going forward. Today I was playing #8 and on 17 a par 5 playing at 474 I hit driver and the 25* hybrid from 177.  On in two and disappointingly 3 putted 🤬

• Thumbs Up 1

My line up to cover gaping is driver, 3W, 4H, 5-AW, 56, 60. I need to gain more confidence in my 3W and start using it more. I just don't hit it as clean off the deck as I need to for 220-230 yard shots. I favor my 4H to 200-210 and work to get up and down. I am really going to focus on the 3W in some upcoming practice sessions in hopes to fill the gap instead of just another spot in the bag. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

4 hours ago, Greg 504 said:

My line up to cover gaping is driver, 3W, 4H, 5-AW, 56, 60. I need to gain more confidence in my 3W and start using it more. I just don't hit it as clean off the deck as I need to for 220-230 yard shots. I favor my 4H to 200-210 and work to get up and down. I am really going to focus on the 3W in some upcoming practice sessions in hopes to fill the gap instead of just another spot in the bag. 

I have the same types of clubs as you do, plus the 5W (you only carry 13 clubs, I and have the full 14 set). The 5W is actually my favorite club and the one I use almost all the time to advance the ball in the fairway. Pretty much the only time I might use the 3W in the fairway is if it would get me to the green and the 5W would not, so another 10 to 15 yards past the 5W range.

I don't mind using the 3W off the tee, but from the turf, the 5W is almost as long, typically goes higher and stops on the greens much better. In other words, I have the same type of approach to those clubs as you do, but my 5W is 180-200: I would love for my 4H to go 210, lol!

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 1099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!