IGNORED

9 Wood - Really?

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, a 9 wood. Picked up a new TM  M6 9 wood on a whim, and at a price I couldn't say no to. I have been hitting it much more consistently than my 4 hybrid or my 4 iron. Much steeper angle of descent, this club does a much better job of holding greens at that 180-190 yard range that was always difficult to get any bite on in my advancing years. And I got rid of that darn hybrid hook. I can take the ribbing from guys asking if I want to move up to the ladies tees. They shut up when they see the results.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Whatever works right? So what are the specs on this lil gem?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I imagine the loft is more like an old school 7 wood. Heaven Woods! 🙂 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I still have the clubhead speed to hit a 3 iron cleanly, but it isn't as consistent as I want it to be.  I have now dropped the 3 and 4 iron and replaced them with a 4 hybrid.  There is a bit of a gap between my 4 hybrid and 5 iron, but overall I am happier.  Another of my regular four ball has a 7 wood, and finds it to be his most consistent club and gets him out of troublesome lies.

You have definitely done a good thing.  Though dropping the hybrid is more debatable, but if the wood is more consistent, go with it

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

(edited)
11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Whatever works right? So what are the specs on this lil gem?

Scroll down to specs. This one has the Atmos R shaft.  Has the same loft as my old school 4 iron. (24 * )

JJI05_zoom_D.jpg

For the first time ever, Twist Face has been engineered into fairway clubs. Thread the needle off the tee and start reaching par 5s in two with straight...

Edited by Esox

10 hours ago, pganapathy said:

You have definitely done a good thing.  Though dropping the hybrid is more debatable, but if the wood is more consistent, go with it

Distance is a lot more consistent off the 9 wood compared to the hybrid. L to R dispersion may be a bit wider with the 9 wood, but not so much that it creates issues for me.  Quite frankly, at 185 yds I am aiming for the fat part of the green anyhow.

I’d play a 9 wood before a damn hybrid... I’m dealing with a hook and hybrids are crap.

• Like 2

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

9 wood would be in the middle of someone I caddied for years ago.   He had a 9 wood, 12 wood and a 15 wood.   His only irons were a 2-iron (why?) , a 6 iron and a sand wedge.   The 15 foot was equivalent to a 9 iron.

that said, if you like the head and shaft on that vs, a hybrid that’s great!   I imagine with the loft it launches high, so that’s something good to hold a green with.  

—Adam

Hit the 9 wood on a 186 yard par three, hang time was incredibly long. It finally landed and only bounced about 6' forward. I was 20' to the right of the pin. Lipped out the bird, easy par. I think I like this.

3 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

Well how well did he hit the 2-iron?

Really, really bad.   I feel like it was for punching out from trees, not as a driving iron.   He wasn’t going to knock it on the green as a second shot on a par 5 either….

his set was:

driver

3 wood

2 x 5 woods  ( a “clam digger” and a “normal” )

6 wood

7 wood

9 wood

11 wood

12 wood

15 wood

2 iron

6 iron

SW

putter 

—Adam

Google Earthed the par 3 shot, it was actually 198 yards. Took the 9 wood to a good range today, with real balls, not range rocks. Good shots consistently carried a towering 198. Was easy to choke down and get it down to 185. Hit some crazy stingers with it. It will cut or turn over without too much effort, but I have to learn to control them a bit better with this club. If I'm hitting the 9 wood 198, I wonder how far I'd hit the 5 & 3 woods? I'll know soon enough, I ordered them both with the same shaft.

13 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Really, really bad.   I feel like it was for punching out from trees, not as a driving iron.   He wasn’t going to knock it on the green as a second shot on a par 5 either….

his set was:

driver

3 wood

6 wood

7 wood

9 wood

11 wood

12 wood

15 wood

2 iron

6 iron

SW

putter 

Seems a little light on the wedge group... unless his 15 wood can double as a pitching wedge...

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Seems a little light on the wedge group... unless his 15 wood can double as a pitching wedge...

The claim is that it was equivalent to a 9-iron.   So it’s not far off.   Try pitching with that clunker though….

—Adam

16 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

his set was:

driver

3 wood

6 wood

7 wood

9 wood

11 wood

12 wood

15 wood

2 iron

6 iron

SW

putter 

An atrocity.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

19 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Please tell me it was also a vintage MB rather than modern utility iron.

Edited by measureoffsetinnm

I actually am toying with playing with a 7- and 9-wood in place of my 3 and 4 hybrids not liking how hybrids hook, my 9 wood would have to be a non-Srixon/Cleveland because I’m not paying XXIO money for a 9-wood. 

Hey, the 9-wood might be the modern equivalent, of the Ray Floyd 5-wood at the 1976 Masters, he actually took the 2-iron out and left the 1-iron in when he put the 5-wood in play in the 1976 Masters.

The 9-wood might be my answer to question of the long par-three and long par-four second shot I have.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

4 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I actually am toying with playing with a 7- and 9-wood in place of my 3 and 4 hybrids not liking how hybrids hook, my 9 wood would have to be a non-Srixon/Cleveland because I’m not paying XXIO money for a 9-wood. 

Hey, the 9-wood might be the modern equivalent, of the Ray Floyd 5-wood at the 1976 Masters, he actually took the 2-iron out and left the 1-iron in when he put the 5-wood in play in the 1976 Masters.

The 9-wood might be my answer to question of the long par-three and long par-four second shot I have.

I find hybrids are not as good out of rough as I have seen advertised. Maybe it’s my technique, but I am reaching for my irons instead now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!