IGNORED

Edel SMS Wedges

Note: This thread is 1012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Edel: "The Swing Match System Wedges are the most exciting technology brought to the wedge category since, well, ever. Our new Swing Match Weighting Technology allows you to finally fit a wedge to your swing. With three machined out weight ports and interchangeable weights to optimize the club to your swing.

In our internal studies, testers showed a 44% increase in accuracy down range in distance and lateral dispersion combined.

80% of testers saw their best spin results with the weight somewhere other than center."

Edel Wedges are designed & manufactured from the ground up. Proper bounce & sole design make our hand-ground wedges perform where it matters most; at impact.

Edel SMS Wedges

Edel wedges have been a favorite of mine since their introduction about nine years ago:

Edel wedges tend to be higher-bounce wedges with grinds that provide varying amounts of heel and toe relief and, contrary to a lot of low-"faux"-bounce options from Vokey and other wedge makers, a typically narrow, higher-camber sole. Many wedge makers like wider soles with lower bounce because amateurs often mistakenly think they want a low-bounce wedge, but the wide sole acts to increase the effective bounce of the club(s). The wide sole also reduces versatility.

The new SMS wedges reduce the lineup to four grinds, the C-, T-, V-, and D-Grind.

edel_sms_wedges_grinds_official.jpg

C-Grind: The C-Grind is a cambered shaped grind with lower bounce and a wider sole; this grind is optimal for golfers with shallow to moderate angles of attack with a smaller divot. This is a shotmakers wedge. The extra sole width allows you extreme versatility for bunker play and green side shots in the higher lofts; while being able to work in all turf conditions in the lower lofts.

T-Grind: The T-Grind is a triple sole grind with three surfaces; utilizing a high bounce leading edge, followed by a crescent shaped lower bounce surface, and extreme heel relief. This grind is optimal for golfers with a moderate to steep angle of attack with normal sized divot. These three surfaces allow you to open the face without increasing the effective bounce for better performance on tight lies.

V-Grind: The V-Grind is a V-shaped grind with medium-high bounce; this grind is optimal for golfers with a moderate to steep angle of attack with a larger divot. Inspired by our most popular DVR grind, this sole is great for golfers with a steeper swing motion. A higher bounce angle closer to the leading edge allows this sole to engage with the turf quickly; resulting in minimal hesitation through sand or turf.

D-Grind: The D-Grind is a dual surfaced high bounce option, optimal for golfers with a steep angle of attack and a large, deep divot. A channel in the midsole area creates a dual sole with two separate bounce surfaces. The high bounce leading edge allows the wedge to cut through the turf at impact without resistance while the high bounce on the second surface prevents any excessive digging.

SMS Weights

Edel ships with the fitting kit 2g, 4g, 6g, 8g, and 10g weights. They fit into each of the three weight ports in the back of the wedge. These weights can be moved, and should be moved during the fitting, to primarily affect the spin and other important launch characteristics. In fact, according to Edel:

• 80% of the golfers tested saw their best spin numbers with the weight somewhere other than center.
  • Average increase in backspin was 10.04% from lowest spinning location to highest spinning location of weight

Golfers averaged about 40% improvement in carry and lateral distances to the target when fit with the SMS system and the proper weight configuration for that player.

Stock wedge will come with two 2g and one 8 gram weight: 2g is Titanium, 4g is 304 Stainless Steel, 6g, 8g, and 10g are Tungsten.

Edel SMS wedges are:

• Forged from soft Japanese 1025 carbon steel
  • Bounce and Sole precisely CNC machined to the tightest tolerances in the industry
  • Full face coverage groove profile
  • Micro Engraved face texture for maximum surface texture roughness
  • CG optimized through shortened hosel length
  • Precisely applied cream chrome finish
  • Customized hand-stamping and paint fill

The grinds are, in order from C to T to V to D, generally accepted for the firmest to the softest conditions, or the shallowest to the steepest angles of attack.

The grinds, their amounts of bounce, etc. can be seen in this image. For example, the V-Grind goes from 12° bounce in the 48° wedge to 15.5° in the 54° and 30° in the 60° wedge. But…

Typical bounce numbers on wedges are somewhat arbitrary. They're almost all "effective bounce" that really has no standard. Edel SMS wedges have no bounce # on the sole. The forgiveness in a wedge is in the sole design, and depends or is related to the golfer's delivery, the lie, etc. Every Edel wedge, every grind and sole, has a specific purpose. Bounce is a function of the delivery, the shaft angle, and many other factors, and no bounce angle makes you a "better wedge player," but finding the proper bounce and grind that fits your delivery can help you be more consistent with what you are doing.

Fitting

There are three main goals to a fitting:

• Optimize back spin.
  • Optimize Face-to-path
  • Dial in Directional and Distance Dispersion

Most fittings will start with roughly five 60-yard shots with your current highest-lofted gamer wedge to determine and measure (roughly a 3/4 shot):

1. Angle of Attack
  2. Swing Speed
  3. General Ability
  4. Baseline numbers for improvement

If the golfer is steeper, start with the V-Grind and explore possibly using the D-Grind. If they're shallow, start at the C- and consider moving to T- or possibly V-. Hit shots with a 2-8-2 configuration to find the proper grind.

Then, hit five shots each with the 8 weight in the toe, heel, and center to compare spin numbers. The necessary location will become obvious for most based on their feel, the sound and the launch monitor numbers.

Fit for the shaft next by using the lowest lofted full swing wedge (most likely the 50° wedge), and optimize speed and spin. Paying attention to the transition will help determine the shaft weight and flex. Then come back to adjust for the heavy weight by using either the 4, 6, 8, or 10g weight.

Photos

Wedge Face at Address

edel_sms_wedges_address.jpg

Full Face Grooves for More Spin All Over the Face

"We know wedges are the ultimate utility club and the SMS wedges are designed to enhance the versatility you need. Our full face groove pattern gives you more groove coverage to ensure you get spin when you need it, whether you’re hitting a full shot or a laid-flat flop shot out of the deep rough. The laser engraved diamond texture increases the face texture for even more spin."

C-Grind Versus my Driver Grind (all 54°)

The C-Grind is a Cambered grind with lower bounce (and thus a wider sole) which favors a shallower AoA and firmer conditions.

edel_sms_wedges_c-grind_comparison.jpg

T-Grind Versus my Driver Grind (all 54°)

The T-Grind is a Triple grind sole (with a high-bounce very narrow leading edge, a lower-bounce crescent-shaped middle, and relief in the back), allowing you to open the face without increasing the effective bounce.

edel_sms_wedges_t-grind_comparison.jpg

V-Grind Versus my Driver Grind (all 54°)

The V-Grind is a V-shaped grind with medium-high bounce and is inspired by the DVR (driver) grind from the previous line of wedges. The high-bounce leading edge interacts with the turf quickly, while more severe heel- and toe-relief provide some versatility.

edel_sms_wedges_v-grind_comparison.jpg

D-Grind Versus my Driver Grind (all 54°)

The D-Grind is a Dual-grind sole (also called a "bullet cut" sole) with a channel cut through a moderate bounce plane which provides two effective high-bounce surfaces.

edel_sms_wedges_d-grind_comparison.jpg

Edel SMS Wedge Fitting Kit

edel_sms_wedges_kit.jpg

T-Grind Fitting Weights

edel_sms_wedges_tgrind_weights.jpg

Grinds and BB&F Ferrules (C-, T-, V-, and D-Grinds shown left to right)

edel_sms_wedges_grinds.jpg

V-Grind Lots (50°, 54°, 58°)

edel_sms_wedges_vgrind_back.jpg

Hosel Stamping

edel_sms_wedges_hosel_stamp.jpg

Face Texture

edel_sms_wedges_face_texture.jpg

Options

Two options are available:

• A standard, essentially pre-built wedge (with the shaft, grip, etc. that you order), that has a standard ferrule and loft stamped with no custom stamping.
  • The same standard wedge with custom paint fill colors, an exclusive BB&F ferrule (black and silver or the exclusive Edel red, black, and silver), and stamping for your name, initials, etc. on the back of the wedge in one of three styles (Monogram, Leaderboard, or Scattered).

Many, many shafts are available, with the stock being the Nippon Modus Wedge Shaft. But all 15 options are (graphite shafts are marked as such, others are steel):

• KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115 (R)
  • KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 (S)
  • KBS Wedge 110 (R)
  • KBS Wedge 120 (S)
  • KBS Tour-V Wedge (125g, S)
  • KBS C-Taper 120 (S)
  • True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
  • Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7 (R)
  • Nippon NS Pro 950 GH (R)
  • Nippon NS Pro 950 GH (S)
  • Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Wedge 105
  • Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Wedge 115
  • Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Wedge 125
  • Graphite: KBS Max Graphite Iron 65
  • Graphite: Paterson Kinetic Ballistic KG95

A sixteenth shaft, the NS Pro Modus3 115 shaft is given in a +1" length, too.

The grips will be the Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips.

MSRP

• MAP on the standard wedges (the non-custom ones) is $199.99.
  • MAP on the custom wedges is $225.

The weights, btw, will be solidly affixed to your wedge heads. I've asked if they're still screwed in, but cemented in (with Loctite or something else semi-permanent), or what, and am awaiting word.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Edel SMS Wedges

Sign me up for “eagerly awaiting feedback”. Just picked up a 9.5/10 set of Edel heads on eBay at $40/head. Trapper 50 bent to 51, trapper 56 bent to 55, and driver 60 bent to 59. They’re fantastic- so crisp through the turf.

will be interesting to see the next iteration.

I can’t wait for a fitting in Erie! I’ve never been fit for wedges, only putter and full swing irons and woods. This should be fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Man, these clubs are getting more and more expensive. Sigh.... 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I can’t wait for a fitting in Erie! I’ve never been fit for wedges, only putter and full swing irons and woods. This should be fun.

When you arrive…1A092D39-9094-430D-9503-C3E5E07921DE.gif.9014a266a23d8e50d815286840a1265b.gif

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 5 weeks later...

New wedges delivered!

I got the T-Grind in the 52 degrees and the V-Grind int he 56 and 60 degree. I got the KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 and with the weight towards the heel. 

IMG_1868.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Color me interested in the 54 and 58. I live and die by my 54 wedge in the 40 - 70 yd. range and work the club face for distance control and type of shot. My 54 is 4 yrs old and has been heavily used.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator

I’m happy to put an order in for you if you know your specs @DrvFrShow.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I need to go for a fitting. We have a Club Champion that just opened locally. I can get fit for the wedges there, get my specs, and then order from you. Club Champion's fittings are separate from their club purchases. They're the only Edel dealer in the area.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator

Up to you. I’m charge less but they might give you a small credit.

On 5/17/2021 at 6:48 AM, boogielicious said:

Yup, I'm thinking the same, haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 2 weeks later...

Had some new Edels in the bag tonight, fresh out of the box. Touch shots around the green were excellent, but I need to hone in the distances on fuller shots… flew my only two opportunities a little long. I got a T grind in the 54 and V in the 58 both with C-tapers. Looking forward to getting in the groove with these.

CD145E2A-D17E-4E8D-9877-DBC6D0A75D51.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

I’m waiting for @iacaswhen he comes to Virginia soon to get fitted for new wedges, my current set of Edel wedges are getting very old.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

52 minutes ago, georgep said:

flew my only two opportunities a little long. I got a T grind in the 54 and V in the 58 both with C-tapers. Looking forward to getting in the groove with these.

I liked the T-Grind for full swing shots with the 52-degree. I don't pitch often with that club and like to hit more distance wedge shots. 

I am liking the clubs more I get to practice with them.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Mine came late yesterday and I will note that @iacas did in fact get his delivered first!😜 

Edel (not pronounced EE’-dell ) does a good job of packing the clubs.

142C3470-89AE-4D2E-8935-070F7666F90D.jpeg
9620E636-2776-476D-8CD4-F192912E0B6E.jpeg

5B85AAE9-D50E-4659-9AB5-2B0B755FB5CF.jpeg

I got a 50, 54 and 58 to match my current setup in T-Grind with KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125g stiff shafts. I had them put on GolfPride MCC+4 midsize grips and adjust the swing weight to D4. I verified that.

8304074A-3814-4227-8DC5-24C887C23BBF.jpeg

A6D4F218-75DF-448B-8395-3A116F854325.jpeg

D2A9CFC1-C50F-4434-B84B-FEB25707C4A7.jpeg

5B4525B3-2637-4687-925C-454E40979686.jpeg

They’re shiny!😀

C8DC5B22-53AD-4FDF-ACAA-A3D7711B5271.jpeg

It looks like we can play with the weights. The card says ‘red’ weight, but mine is blue. Maybe they used heavier weight to adjust swing weight instead of a shaft tip weight?

EBE71DF7-0ABF-4DE9-89B0-E0978C6EFB89.jpeg

Can’t wait to hit them!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

But @boogielicious, how can you tell them apart if they’re all named the same? 😆

• Funny 1

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

4 hours ago, georgep said:

But @boogielicious, how can you tell them apart if they’re all named the same? 😆

Just like this!

• Funny 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

The C-Grind is a cambered shaped grind with lower bounce and a wider sole; this grind is optimal for golfers with shallow to moderate angles of attack with a smaller divot. 

This is a shotmakers wedge. 

The extra sole width allows you extreme versatility for bunker play and green side shots in the higher lofts; while being able to work in all turf conditions in the lower lofts.

C Grind
T Grind

The T-Grind is a triple sole grind with three surfaces; utilizing a high bounce leading edge, followed by a crescent shaped lower bounce surface, and extreme heel relief. 

This grind is optimal for golfers with a moderate to steep angle of attack with normal sized divot. 

These three surfaces allow you to open the face without increasing the effective bounce for better performance on tight lies.

The V-Grind is a V-shaped grind with medium-high bounce; this grind is optimal for golfers with a moderate to steep angle of attack with a larger divot. 

Inspired by our most popular DVR grind, this sole is great for golfers with a steeper swing motion. A higher bounce angle closer to the leading edge allows this sole to engage with the turf quickly; resulting in minimal hesitation through sand or turf.

697f031e-0f2d-4eef-9343-dbc2b228c7cc.png
D Grind

The D-Grind is a dual surfaced high bounce option, optimal for golfers with a steep angle of attack and a large, deep divot. A channel in the midsole area creates a dual sole with two separate bounce surfaces. 

The high bounce leading edge allows the wedge to cut through the turf at impact without resistance while the high bounce on the second surface prevents any excessive digging.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!