IGNORED

Sand Wedge Bounce

Note: This thread is 993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry 2 Volkey Wedges 54-11 & 58-12D.

I used to only carry a 56-14, but with my new set of Pings the pitching wedge and U wedge we less lofted and allowed me to bring in the 54 & 58.

I have to say, I am solid with the 58, all day. shot up to 80 yards.

However the 54, which covers the 80-100 ish shot, is just not working for me. I take super divots, so deep I may have to call in the Army Corp of Engineers to build canals and channels with the earth I taking up.

I dont hit the 58 this way, and did not hit the 56, just the 54.
does the bounce have anything to do with this? Or am I just miss hitting this wedge?

I should note that I bought the 54 at a golf sale, so there was not much choice in loft and bounce, aside from it was a Volkey for $80.

And I know someone will say you need to get fitted professionally, however none of the golf shops around here do that. They will tape up the face and let you hit off artificial turf. One pro at the local course told me, I just had to buy a wedge and learn to hit it on the grass, but it was a gamble, once I had it, it is mine.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you mainly use the 60 for partial wedge shots and the 54 for fuller shots? It could be that when you swing more fully, you’re steeper than when you do partial swings. Also, perhaps when you’re doing partial shots, maybe you’re using the bounce really well, but when you go to a fuller shot, you’re using more leading edge. 

Both wedges are D grind. D grind has a good amount of bounce. So, other than what I’ve already said above, I don’t see why you would take more divot with one and not the other. 

44 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Do you mainly use the 60 for partial wedge shots and the 54 for fuller shots? It could be that when you swing more fully, you’re steeper than when you do partial swings. Also, perhaps when you’re doing partial shots, maybe you’re using the bounce really well, but when you go to a fuller shot, you’re using more leading edge. 

Both wedges are D grind. D grind has a good amount of bounce. So, other than what I’ve already said above, I don’t see why you would take more divot with one and not the other. 

The 58 is a D grind and is used for full and partial shots up to 80 yards. I hit the ball really high, so I lose distance.

The 54, which is a spin milled, I use for full shots. It is my 100 yard club, but i have to hit some partial shots to fill the gap with the 58

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

The 54/11 is not a scalpel by any means (Ie: has plenty of bounce for the average player) so it has to be your swing and/or set-up issue. Having the ball a little back combined with some divot anxiety can produce the trenches you are describing with the steep approach. 

• Informative 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Which model is the 54° @Elmer?  Is it an SM4 or just an old Spin Milled? Which model is the 58°? I can’t remember when they added the grinds. 

I have a really interesting thought. What if you matched your Vokey Models and grinds? Meaning get the matching 54° to your 58°.

• Informative 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Just the bounce # alone won't tell you much. How the bottom of the club is design matters more. 

Maybe a bit of swing change work might help you out if you swing that steep. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

Another round, another super divot, twice!!!!!!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

3 hours ago, Elmer said:

Another round, another super divot, twice!!!!!!

If you’re using your wedge as a shovel, it’s not the bounce that’s the problem.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 6/9/2021 at 9:20 PM, saevel25 said:

Just the bounce # alone won't tell you much. How the bottom of the club is design matters more. 

Yes. Would it be correct to say that bounce is only the angle of the sole in relation to the face? It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with 'grind' or 'sole width'.  I have a 54* sw that works great for me. It has a 12* bounce 'but' a wide sole that works well in sand. This is why some manf's (I think Ping) use 'effective bounce' when making their sw's. EB is a combination of bounce and sole width/grind.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

15 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Yes. Would it be correct to say that bounce is only the angle of the sole in relation to the face? It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with 'grind' or 'sole width'.  I have a 54* sw that works great for me. It has a 12* bounce 'but' a wide sole that works well in sand. This is why some manf's (I think Ping) use 'effective bounce' when making their sw's. EB is a combination of bounce and sole width/grind.

It’s spelled “Glide”.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

16 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

It’s spelled “Glide”.

I haven't heard the term Glide before in reference to wedges, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist because I haven't heard it. Just the same oh, here is an explanation of effective bounce, a term that I have heard often oh, and it isn't spelled Glide. 

Find out what bounce is and how to use it to your advantage

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Yes the effective “bounce” is the “glide”. At least if I’m reading LSW correctly.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Do you normally take big divots with your set irons?  What are your set irons, how is the sole width.  
You can get wedges, Ping for example, in standard, wide and thin sole.  Bounce numbers I think you’re reading too much into..... sounds like you should be looking at which sole. If you  are steep and take a large divot, wide sole would work better.  Normal to small divot, standard sole and if you pinch it off the turf, thin sole.  

3 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

Do you normally take big divots with your set irons?  What are your set irons, how is the sole width.  
You can get wedges, Ping for example, in standard, wide and thin sole.  Bounce numbers I think you’re reading too much into..... sounds like you should be looking at which sole. If you  are steep and take a large divot, wide sole would work better.  Normal to small divot, standard sole and if you pinch it off the turf, thin sole.  

That’s the “Glide” I’m talking about right there. You probably need a wider sole wedge. Vokeys aren’t usually conducive to deep divots.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

On 7/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, Typhoon92 said:

I use Ping 425 irons (including Pitch and Utility wedge)
My Volket is a 58-12D

None of these make a divot like my 54
Please note that this picture was taken in my backyard, not the course. But this is the deep divot I get with this club. I am going to over to the local Golf Shop, but I am just afraid they will try to sell me the "new" wedge as a cure to all my issues.

Divot.jpg.png

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Assuming you are right handed, that is a classic over the top, outside in, wide open clubface divot. I would bet you fight one hell of a slice too. You need professional help.

Edited by Esox

34 minutes ago, Esox said:

Assuming you are right handed, that is a classic over the top, outside in, wide open clubface divot. I would bet you fight one hell of a slice too. You need professional help.

I have learned to control the slice by utilizing a strong grip with my left hand. This helps me not to revert back to a baseball swing. 
I also end up with more of a push than a slice.

I tried getting professional help, however the teacher at the local golf shop does not focus on swing path or grip. Everytime I have gone there he focuses on weight distribution and balance. Even when I start to obsess about my take away, hand position and anything else.
"slide your weight forward and finish"
The other guy costs $60 for 30 minutes, but is always booked.

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!