IGNORED

Was it a Hole in One?

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing a local course today. First hole 143 yard par 3. I struck a beautiful 9 iron shot and landed on the foam that is supposed to be in the hole. Unfortunately it rained very heavily making all the foam things float above the hole, making it impossible to actually get in it. 

Would this technically be my first hole in one? 

20210614-172744.jpg

29 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Playing a local course today. First hole 143 yard par 3. I struck a beautiful 9 iron shot and landed on the foam that is supposed to be in the hole. Unfortunately it rained very heavily making all the foam things float above the hole, making it impossible to actually get in it. 

20210614-172744.jpg

So it hit the foam on the fly?  I'd say no, sorry, but that ball might not have gone even if the foam wasn't there.  Even if it rolled up and hit the foam, you still couldn't tell from the tee that the ball would have gone in.  Bit it was still a great shot, so i'll let you buy the beers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Doesn't count, for all the reasons Dave mentions above. But hey, at least now when someone asks you if you've ever had a hole in one, you've got a great story to tell!

• Thumbs Up 3

• Administrator

Did the ball meet the definition of “holed”? That’s your answer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Its impossible to do so as the ball could not fit in the hole  

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

So it hit the foam on the fly?  I'd say no, sorry, but that ball might not have gone even if the foam wasn't there.  Even if it rolled up and hit the foam, you still couldn't tell from the tee that the ball would have gone in.  Bit it was still a great shot, so i'll let you buy the beers. 

Thanks amigo!  That brings up another question then. Where do you draw the line scoring wise if the cup is physically impossible to get in? 

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

I know and read the definition of "holed".   " a ball is not technically holed until it is both at rest within the circumference of the hole and the entire ball is below the level of the lip"

But..

So what I'm hearing:  since the ball wasn't holed, no rounds during covid-19 that didn't have a hole but an inverted cup were legit?  There is a course near me that put up inverted cups around the flagstick to prevent people from getting the ball in the hole.   Are we to assume nobody followed the rules of golf at this course during the Covid variances in rules?  Were these round to be considered practice rounds since nobody "holed" any shot?

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Its impossible to do so as the ball could not fit in the hole.

So the answer is no. Not a hole in one.

A good shot nonetheless.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Are we to assume nobody followed the rules of golf at this course during the Covid variances in rules?  Were these round to be considered practice rounds since nobody "holed" any shot?

There's a difference between widely accepted modifications to playing conditions during a pandemic and wanting to claim a hole in one when the ball didn't go in the hole.

The foam only floats up when it's soaking wet and the hole fills with water.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

There's a difference between widely accepted modifications to playing conditions during a pandemic and wanting to claim a hole in one when the ball didn't go in the hole.

The foam only floats up when it's soaking wet and the hole fills with water.

Yea the entire course had the foam floating. Its been a wet week in Pittsburgh. It is a interesting conversation. How do you score a round when all the foam is floating? If we aren't counting shots outside the green, are all putts which hit the foam considered in? Are there any actual rules on this? 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, wakefield724 said:

Yea the entire course had the foam floating. Its been a wet week in Pittsburgh. It is a interesting conversation. How do you score a round when all the foam is floating? If we aren't counting shots outside the green, are all putts which hit the foam considered in? Are there any actual rules on this? 

Take the flagsticks out.

9 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

As @iacas says, current science says that its safe to remove the flagsticks.  However, the USGA provided this guidance from the early days of the pandemic, when a wide variety of measures were put in place to limit the possibility of passing the disease to others:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rulesarticles/covid-19-rules-and-handicapping-faqs.html

• Informative 2

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Take the flagsticks out.

Not allowed in Norway yet. Hopefully soon though... 

Nice shot OP, but I must unfortunately agree with the rest here: Not a hole in one. I've had a couple of "foam/filler"-outs from some way out myself and, as annoying and unfair it is, I can't count them as in dispite it being impossible to slamdunk a golfball in the cup with fillers/foam in the hole.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

No to the hole in one. Yes to buying a round of drinks! 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

15 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

20210614-172744.jpg

Considering the foam is floating and preventing anything entering the hole, it would be considered holed if the ball was either on top of the foam or leaning against the foam.  Of course, if you are on the green and putting, go ahead and remove it so that you can putt into the hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I feel your pain.  I had 2 balls that most probably would have been hole-in-ones last year with a month of each other that hit the foam, bounced up and stayed out of the hole.  The foam was actually down in the hole but only 1/2 of the ball would be in the hole when you holed a putt/shot.  

• Booooooooo 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

19 hours ago, RickK said:

I had 2 balls that most probably would have been hole-in-ones last year with a month of each other that hit the foam, bounced up and stayed out of the hole.

In normal times, I've had balls that hit the bottom of the cup and bounced out.   Not balls rocketing in from 100+ yards away, short pitches that went all the way to the bottom and back out.  There is simply no way to know that a ball that hits the hole would have stayed in the hole for an ace, especially when you're watching from the tee.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In normal times, I've had balls that hit the bottom of the cup and bounced out.   Not balls rocketing in from 100+ yards away, short pitches that went all the way to the bottom and back out.  There is simply no way to know that a ball that hits the hole would have stayed in the hole for an ace, especially when you're watching from the tee.

DING!

• Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 7:32 AM, DaveP043 said:

Don't disagree.  Neither of mine hit the foam on the fly.  One was first bounce, other was second bounce.  Either way...didn't stay in hole so doesn't matter.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!