IGNORED

Strong Grip and Close Face

Note: This thread is 991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any one play with strong grip? I think I have strong grip, too strong? I tried neutral grip but it messes up my swing and the club doesn’t feel secure in my hand. Another thing is I seem to have close face at address on 7 or lower club (8-9) Ping G-30. Am I gonna be okay with all the “don’t” here. 
Sorry for stupid questions, I’m new and don’t even know where to start. I have played with a couple friends and none can show me the right path, even my instructor that I had when first started didn’t say anything about it until I mentioned about my strong grip.

5BFDB841-C735-4441-BB0D-AB72EE7F7203.png.f5c1d59f77781c9cdecf91e73c46d33e.png

If I’m mentioning a tip that is old school and wrong I apologize. It does seem your thumb and index finger creases aren’t lined up, close to parallel as they should be?283B4FDD-2D18-4598-8652-43CB51660BA2.jpeg.e027dfaf5c56712c8990620b9b56010b.jpeg

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Strong Grip and Close Face
  • Administrator

That is not anything close to a strong grip.

It's on the weak side of neutral for the left hand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

That is not anything close to a strong grip.

It's on the weak side of neutral for the left hand.

I was going to say......:-(

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Thanks, really glad to know. The grip is my number 1 pet peeve that I’m worried and wanna get it right . when I look at other ppl grips seem mine in stronger especially on the right hand. 
Do I have to change anything or can I get that out of my mind and continue other improvements like hip turn.

• Administrator

I don't think it's great right now. I'd actually work on your grip. The hands aren't matched up right now.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In my first (and only, so far) lesson, we primarily worked on grip and stance.  It felt absolutely insane to me when he showed me what a strong grip was.  I legitimately didn't think I could swing a club that way.  It was hard to even position my hands in that way.  It felt impossible.  One suggestion he made that really helped was to pick up a club a dozen times throughout the day and grip the club with my new grip.  Within weeks it became very normal to me.  I need to go back to continue lessons, and I'm curious if he'll feel I've unintentionally gravitated back a bit to a weaker grip.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

8 hours ago, hoonnirun said:

Any one play with strong grip? I think I have strong grip, too strong? I tried neutral grip but it messes up my swing and the club doesn’t feel secure in my hand. Another thing is I seem to have close face at address on 7 or lower club (8-9) Ping G-30. Am I gonna be okay with all the “don’t” here. 
Sorry for stupid questions, I’m new and don’t even know where to start. I have played with a couple friends and none can show me the right path, even my instructor that I had when first started didn’t say anything about it until I mentioned about my strong grip.

5BFDB841-C735-4441-BB0D-AB72EE7F7203.png.f5c1d59f77781c9cdecf91e73c46d33e.png

I would point you to this link:

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, the last few days, I’d been trying the grip as posted above (haven’t hit one single ball, just try to get comfortable).

Please comment if I headed the right way or anything else I need to change. 
My glove.

225B0296-3378-4087-908E-4B4536445D53.thumb.jpeg.5bfd58516a212b126928377b9bc00e4d.jpeg

the grip

49 minutes ago, hoonnirun said:

Guys, the last few days, I’d been trying the grip as posted above (haven’t hit one single ball, just try to get comfortable).

Please comment if I headed the right way or anything else I need to change. 

Left hand needs to be more in the fingers, like you're holding a suitcase or hammer. Notice the difference in where the heel pad sits in yours compared to the other examples.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.03.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.19.32 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

I was going to say the same thing. STRETCH the heel pad over the top.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, hoonnirun said:

Would short fat finger affect the position?😢😢😢

i chocked down about 1-2” from previous grip. 

No, that’s not the issue.

Grip it a bit more on the side.

@hoonnirun make sure when you get your new grip, you are careful not to fidget and regrip before swinging. 

I took a golf lesson from Kathy Whitworth when I lived in TX and she spent a good part of the lesson on my grip. She showed me that I took a good grip to begin with, but that as I waggled and got ready to take the club back, I was regripping the club stronger. 

If you do this, it can be a very strange feeling to take your grip and then concentrate on not moving your hands and fingers around at all as you take your address and start the swing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I felt like I’m going nowhere. Tried to hit the ball last night and pretty bad. This morning is better but I feel like it is the same grip I was using before. Man golf is hard 😔😔😔

I wonder how your ball flight is? That may give a good answer as to whether your grip is to strong or not, especially when your grip doesn't look too strong to me to begin with. I have to believe that everybody is slightly different with their grip, creating the shot they want to create.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I’m in the right direction here or at least better than before. Been trying hard for past few weeks. Please feel free to comment if you feel like helping this newbie.

I’m not sure the shot shape yet, but at least the ball start in direction I aim at. If this grip is good enough, I’ll take it to driving range for better valuation.

BTW according to golf pride my hand length is about 7” and in the border line of standard or under size grip. Should I try undersize grip on some of my clubs? 

8 hours ago, hoonnirun said:

I hope I’m in the right direction here or at least better than before. Been trying hard for past few weeks. Please feel free to comment if you feel like helping this newbie.

I’m not sure the shot shape yet, but at least the ball start in direction I aim at. If this grip is good enough, I’ll take it to driving range for better valuation.

BTW according to golf pride my hand length is about 7” and in the border line of standard or under size grip. Should I try undersize grip on some of my clubs? 

I moved your swing videos to your My Swing thread

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!