IGNORED

Things I Learned from Playing With @iacas

9 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

How did he do it? He got himself back in play and gave himself a great chance to hit the green with his next shot. Sometimes, this meant going for the green. Most of the time, this meant getting out of trouble while advancing the ball down the fairway.

Also, his drives hardly end up in a hazard or OB. Avoiding stroke and distance is a big thing. 

Yea, like he said for par 5's. You need on really good shot to make par. (i think this is close enough). You can hit a bad drive (not OB), maybe thin a hybrid, miss the green, but still get up and down for par. 

Also helps he is a really good putter and has a really good short game ;). 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Also, his drives hardly end up in a hazard or OB. Avoiding stroke and distance is a big thing. 

To be fair, the courses we played did not really have much of either. Although I'm sure you found both... 😛

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Also helps he is a really good putter and has a really good short game ;). 

Number 4 was going to be "putt your ass off," but that's not really a game management thing. @iacasis by far the best putter I've ever seen. Golf is a lot easier if you're making a couple of 30 footers each round, and your gimme range is legitimately 5-8 feet, haha. 

There was far more separation between our short games and putting than there was between our driving and iron play. 

• Funny 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Thanks for this write-up.  This is great advice.

Every time I make a double, I look back and try to figure out why I made the double.  In yesterday's round, I had three doubles, each from different causes.  Only on one hole (all day) did I not have a putt for par.  This was a 1-2-3 tournament and, as the highest handicapper on my team, my plan was to get as many net-pars as I could, knowing I'd sprinkle some pars in there (five, all on holes I got a shot on, too), especially on the par-5s, but that we wouldn't move backwards if I managed to make my plan.   I had 14 holes of net-par-or-better.

A month or two ago, I realized I hadn't really practiced the low recovery shot, so I went to an outdoor range and devoted two dozen or so shots to practicing it.  I don't want to say two dozen shots is sufficient, but I am a lot more comfortable with it now.

I don't know if there's a "related threads" feature, but for anyone else who finds @DeadMan's excellent write-up helpful, @iacasand @mvmac wrote a great similar piece (the advice is not the same tips repeated, so this is also worth a read if you haven't seen it) after the 2015 Newport Cup:  

(5 and 6 on that list are things I really need to put more work into) 

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

In the rounds I played for score I'm not sure I made a 6. I was close a time or two — I had to make a twenty-footer for par on the 13th at Lawsonia Links, for example, for par.

One thing not listed: my ball generally doesn't go offline. I'll thin or fat some shots now and then, but my face is usually pointing in the right place.

Another: my lag putting is good. I can play to the wide, safe sides of greens because I'm far, far more likely to hit a 50-foot putt to two feet than to three-putt it… and not just because of my "tap-in range."

Also, @DeadMan, I shot 55, 54, 53 at the Sandbox, so it's not like I was hitting just awful shots when I'd "try" different things. And part of the reason I was trying those things is that my partial wedge game is a bit off right now given my swing changes/work. So there, neener-head! 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I appreciate the write up @DeadMan. But except for learning some management tips, playing with players like @iacas are pure entertainment for me. You see, they do everything better than me. It would be like me trying to run alongside Usain Bolt and think, ‘ boy..maybe I should get my knees up higher.’ It’s just a different world. 😄

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

One thing not listed: my ball generally doesn't go offline. I'll thin or fat some shots now and then, but my face is usually pointing in the right place.

Another: my lag putting is good. I can play to the wide, safe sides of greens because I'm far, far more likely to hit a 50-foot putt to two feet than to three-putt it… and not just because of my "tap-in range."

Yea I was going to bring these points up. We’ve played a number of rounds together now and while I’ve learned a great deal about course management from you, I’ve also learned that I can’t really emulate your game because the gap in our skill sets can be wide.

I don’t think I’m bad at course management, TBH. I know when to go for it and when to be happy to advance the ball. The problem is not hitting the green with my third shot, then pitching on and two-putting for double.

And then of course there are times I go to lay up and still hit the ball to Timbuktu…

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Things I Learned From Playing With @iacas
1 hour ago, iacas said:

One thing not listed: my ball generally doesn't go offline.

Yes, that bit is a little annoying..😉. Ok, seriously this is the one thing I am determined to clean up.

That's where the bacon is at.

Vishal S.

• 11 months later...

Reading this reminds me of when I get to play along side the old course pro who attends my church.  His game is on a different level and it’s fun to watch him not get into serous trouble.  He’s in his 80’s and still plays with kids in their 20’s (he does tee it fwd as he has lost distance). I’ve learned much from him, mainly to never let trouble get you into more trouble.  Jim, that’s his name, is pretty much a walking example of what is discussed and taught on this site and in LSW.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• iacas changed the title to Things I Learned from Playing With @iacas