IGNORED

Lofted Putters/Chippers

Jack50
Note: This thread is 799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Jack50 said:

What's the deal with more amateurs (male and female) not having these in the bag to use around the green? Am I missing something? 

What do mean by ‘lofted’ putters? My putter has a loft of four degrees. Most putters are around that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

What do mean by ‘lofted’ putters? My putter has a loft of four degrees. Most putters are around that.

I think he is talking about a chipper. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.41.16 PM.png

What's the deal with more amateurs (male and female) not having these in the bag to use around the green? Am I missing something? 

You get way more versatility out of just knowing how to chip and pitch with a wedge to lets say 7 iron. So, you don't need to waste a spot in the bag for a club you shouldn't even use that often. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

As @saevel25 said above, why waste a spot in the bag for a one dimensional novelty when you can use any other club in the bag to do the same thing as a chipper, plus have the ability to do the “regular” shot that the club is for? For instance, I’ll chip with most any club in my bag, depending on the circumstances, plus I get to use those clubs for their regular purpose. I fail to see any utility that a chipper offers that I wouldn’t  get from any other club, and I certainly don’t want to give up a spot in the bag for it either. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

Personally think unless you have a top class short game then the club is beneficial, and worth having in the bag. Hence I made the thread.

You and @David in FL can start a fan club about them, then.

They're one-dimensional and take up a full spot in the bag. Learning to chip with other clubs isn't that difficult.

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You can even use a putting stroke with other clubs, which is very similar to a chipper.  IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

—Adam

On 8/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Jack50 said:

What up and down percentage is claimed versus a more traditional club. If it were really effective, wouldn't you see it in use on men's and ladies tours?

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

On 8/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Jack50 said:

I will simply reiterate what others have astutely observed…they are one-trick ponies which regretfully take a slot away from more versatile clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, Jack50 said:

Personally think unless you have a top class short game then the club is beneficial

Maybe. Sure it’s beneficial, but…

1 hour ago, Jack50 said:

and worth having in the bag.

Absolutely wrong, given the one dimensional component to the chipper vs the versatility of other clubs you could have instead.

As others have said, chipping isn’t that hard to do reasonably. Golf doesn’t require a “top class” short game, just a reasonable one. 

Edited by ncates00

11 hours ago, mohearn said:

What up and down percentage is claimed versus a more traditional club. If it were really effective, wouldn't you see it in use on men's and ladies tours?

Pros (and amateurs playing an the top level) have amazing short games already with a range of clubs. I was talking about people without a top class short game. In particular those bad at chipping around the green. Would love to know the percentage of golfers that carry one. I’m sure plenty of high handicappers in particular would benefit by carrying one.

4 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

Pros (and amateurs playing an the top level) have amazing short games already with a range of clubs. I was talking about people without a top class short game. In particular those bad at chipping around the green. Would love to know the percentage of golfers that carry one. I’m sure plenty of high handicappers in particular would benefit by carrying one.

I agree that many high handicappers could potentially benefit from this club.  I have a few friends I play with who struggle with chipping and shots from under 25 or so yards in.  One tends to play left handed.  Another tends to putt a lot.  Depending on specific circumstances there are players who need a chipper.  However, it isn't a generic club that everybody can use since there are various clubs in the bag that can do a similar job, from a 7 iron to a SW depending on how you play.

In fact, I even have an uncle who has this in the bag.  Uses it from just off the green

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

35 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

In all the rounds I’ve played this year, I’ve seen one player with a chipper. Yesterday Claire had one in her bag and used it during the round. I estimate she was in her 70s. I don’t recall anyone last year having one.

It can be a useful tool, but other clubs are much more versatile. You can chip with any club apart from maybe driver. Yes you can chip with a putter. You can pitch with any iron or wedge. You don’t need world class talent to chip or pitch. You just need to learn good technique and practice. I see lots of people putting on the practice green, but only a few warming up with chips.

If you don’t care to practice, then by all means play with a chipper.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

From what I've seen people who are bad at chipping are bad at chipping. 

I've known exactly one person who carries a chipper. My old man. (BTW-He has like 20 clubs in his bag.) 3 out of 4 chips he hits with it will be terrible. But when ever he hits a good one, he says "See, that chipper works." Or words to that effect. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have a Cleveland smart sole C and I never get people saying these are one trick ponies.  I use mine when under a tree from about 130 in.  Its the perfect club to hit low laser beams when you have no room.

• Informative 1

10 minutes ago, MattM said:

I have a Cleveland smart sole C and I never get people saying these are one trick ponies.  I use mine when under a tree from about 130 in.  Its the perfect club to hit low laser beams when you have no room.

That’s fair; TBH, I would’ve never considered using a chipper for a puck shot, but usually use a hybrid.  What clubs do you have in your bag? (Interested to know what club you’re sacrificing in order to carry the chipper)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Lol...those are always weird statements...Im not sacrificing any club!  I have a driver, mini driver (my 3wood), 9 wood, 5iron through gap wedge, 58 degree, 62 degree, hybrid wedge and putter.  I have no real gaps and didnt need to "sacrifice" a club.  Again I havent sacrificed any club...

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, MattM said:

Again I havent sacrificed any club...

Most people would.

They already have 14 clubs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!