IGNORED

The Match V - Brooks vs. Bryson

iacas
Note: This thread is 869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah I don’t see them setting up the course for BDC. I’m sure they’ll want there to be some holes that BDC can let loose on, but also holes where he can’t just bomb and gouge. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

So much so they’d set the course up for Bryson? That’s more than a stretch.

Just one man's opinion. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Bucks said:

Just one man's opinion. 

FFS, man.

Brooks, FWIW, gets plenty of attention as well. He has 4x the number of majors as Bryson, was just featured in a big interview in Golf Digest (maybe Golf), etc.

I think your first comment is ridiculous. They’re not going to set the course up any differently at all for a 12-hole one-day match. They might choose the tees or the hole locations… that’s almost about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Personally, I'd be more interested in tuning in to these events if they had players with better personalities for TV.  Justin Thomas, Phil (obviously), Peyton Manning was good, etc..  Bryson was painful to listen to at the last one IMO.  Maybe Brooks will be good, but i doubt it.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I will probably pass on this one. The last one was pretty painful to watch and cured me of wanting more.

Definitely a pass in my opinion. If you are going to spice it up for TV make it more entertaining. For example add a shot clock, alternate shot with a real terrible amateur, or a worst ball scramble with partners that have a sense of humor. For these two guys just give them a few "gotchas" each.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

FFS, man.

Brooks, FWIW, gets plenty of attention as well. He has 4x the number of majors as Bryson, was just featured in a big interview in Golf Digest (maybe Golf), etc.

I think your first comment is ridiculous. They’re not going to set the course up any differently at all for a 12-hole one-day match. They might choose the tees or the hole locations… that’s almost about it.

Choosing tee and hole locations advantageous to BAD is how I expect they'll set the course up. Why so upset about another person's opinion? In today's environment, social media rules and no male golfer rules social media for golf more than DeChambeau. He's everyone's foil, the guy we often love to hate. But no other currently playing pro brings in casual fans like Mr. Funny Hat. In any case, it should be a fun match to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Bucks said:

Choosing tee and hole locations advantageous to BAD is how I expect they'll set the course up. Why so upset about another person's opinion? In today's environment, social media rules and no male golfer rules social media for golf more than DeChambeau. He's everyone's foil, the guy we often love to hate. But no other currently playing pro brings in casual fans like Mr. Funny Hat. In any case, it should be a fun match to watch. 

I don’t see anyone being upset here. I too don’t get why you think if BDC is the needle mover the course will be ‘set up’ for him. Whether he wins or loses the impact will be the same. They’re just gonna play 12 holes of golf. Not much else to read in to this. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Bucks said:

Choosing tee and hole locations advantageous to BAD is how I expect they'll set the course up.

What does that even mean? You do realize Brooks plays pretty good golf, too, right? And hits it pretty far?

And why would it matter if Bryson wins? That he's playing is what would matter if your theory was right.

Why so upset about another person's opinion?

Nobody's upset here (unless you are). I just think your opinion is so far from reality that I wanted to reply to it.

In today's environment, social media rules and no male golfer rules social media for golf more than DeChambeau.

Tiger is still ahead of Bryson. Phil might even be. And Brooks isn't far behind. Bryson without Brooks wouldn't be nearly as big of a thing: their "popularity" is quite linked.

And again, if he PLAYS, then he's done his "social media" job. They don't need him to win. If he's the golfer everyone loves to hate, you could make a more compelling case, perhaps, that they should set the course up so it favors Brooks, whatever that means, so he whines about stuff and plays the role everyone wants him to play.

Your take here is just a bad take all around.

15 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I too don’t get why you think if BDC is the needle mover the course will be ‘set up’ for him. Whether he wins or loses the impact will be the same. They’re just gonna play 12 holes of golf. Not much else to read in to this. 

Yep.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

What does that even mean? You do realize Brooks plays pretty good golf, too, right? And hits it pretty far?

And why would it matter if Bryson wins? That he's playing is what would matter if your theory was right.

Nobody's upset here (unless you are). I just think your opinion is so far from reality that I wanted to reply to it.

Tiger is still ahead of Bryson. Phil might even be. And Brooks isn't far behind. Bryson without Brooks wouldn't be nearly as big of a thing: their "popularity" is quite linked.

And again, if he PLAYS, then he's done his "social media" job. They don't need him to win. If he's the golfer everyone loves to hate, you could make a more compelling case, perhaps, that they should set the course up so it favors Brooks, whatever that means, so he whines about stuff and plays the role everyone wants him to play.

Your take here is just a bad take all around.

Yep.

Over the next few years we'll see how it pans out.  I'd wager on Bryson being "the guy" for the next 5 years or so. 

47 minutes ago, Bucks said:

Over the next few years we'll see how it pans out.  I'd wager on Bryson being "the guy" for the next 5 years or so. 

Ok. But please explain why the course would be set up for Bryson. That’s what I’m not getting. What difference would that make?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bucks said:

That’s not what you’ve been saying. It’s not about the future.

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And they're going to tie.  I propose arm wrestling as a tiebreaker.

Brooks has a tender wrist. That’s a no go.

1 hour ago, Bucks said:

Bryson's game is fun (at least watching him bomb driver), but there are a lot of good, young players right now, and I don't get the sense that he is a generational superstar that the PGA Tour is going to latch onto.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Brooks has a tender wrist.

They both have tender egos... so they can't ego wrestle.  Maybe a duel at sunset...

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

They both have tender egos... so they can't ego wrestle.  Maybe a duel at sunset...

Bottom line:  It'll be interesting to see what the TV ratings are like.  That'll show if anybody really cares...

If this is a pay per view event they'd have to pay ME to watch it and even then I'd probably manage to find something more interesting to do, like reorganize my sock drawer or something.

• Funny 1

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Ok. But please explain why the course would be set up for Bryson. That’s what I’m not getting. What difference would that make?

Winners get more clicks. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That’s not what you’ve been saying. It’s not about the future.

Then you've been misinterpreting what I've been saying, or I presented it poorly. If it's the latter, my apologies.

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Bryson's game is fun (at least watching him bomb driver), but there are a lot of good, young players right now, and I don't get the sense that he is a generational superstar that the PGA Tour is going to latch onto.

With his social media presence and recent foray into the long drive championship I disagree, but we shall see what we see.

Note: This thread is 869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!