IGNORED

Electric Push Carts - To Remote or Not to Remote?

A year ago, at this time (almost November), I was saying I would try to get one more year out of my ancient manual push cart and then, when it fell apart, which I felt was immanent, I’d get a new Clic-Gear. Well, it didn’t fall apart. It’s still operational although I am finding it tougher to push, either because I’m getting older or the wheel bearings are rusting, I’m not sure which. Last year I wasn’t even considering an electric push cart, but I’m seeing them more and more on my local golf course and all the owners who I’ve questioned about them seem very enthusiastic, regardless of the manufacturer. Therefore, I’m now starting to reconsider the whole subject.

I did read Iacas’ enthusiastic QOD (non-remote) review. Unfortunately, it seems there are no QOD’s to be bought at the present time anyway and when I checked a few months ago it was the same thing so I’m not sure what’s up with that company. They also seem to be rather pricey compared to other brand’s non-remote versions. At my local course I see a lot of Bat Caddy’s of various ages and models. It seems there’s an east coast distributor and service center not too far away, which to me is a selling point, and all of the owners I’ve talked to about them are very happy with what they bought. They seem to be well built, are reliable and Bat Caddy makes both remote and non-remote versions of all their models.

So, the question here is not so much which one to buy but whether or not the remotes are a hassle, like the QOD website claims, and which I think might be one that has merit. So, for those who have them, regardless of which mfg., are they? Is a remote one more thing to think about, to lose or to break? Do you keep it in your pocket all the time and if so, is it unobtrusive? (I really don’t like to play golf with anything in my pocket other than a tee, a ball marker and a divot tool.)  Also, any tips on what to look for when shopping for these things would be welcome.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

48 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

So, the question here is not so much which one to buy but whether or not the remotes are a hassle, like the QOD website claims, and which I think might be one that has merit. So, for those who have them, regardless of which mfg., are they? Is a remote one more thing to think about, to lose or to break? Do you keep it in your pocket all the time and if so, is it unobtrusive? (I really don’t like to play golf with anything in my pocket other than a tee, a ball marker and a divot tool.)  Also, any tips on what to look for when shopping for these things would be welcome.

As you may have read, I bought a QOD, based on Erik's review.  I had previously used my wife's CaddyTek, with its remote.  For me, the remote was a distraction, I was constantly watching the trolley, constantly adjusting its speed and direction.  Its possible that I would have become accustomed to it, I don't know.   I only used it a handful of times, and ended up operating it manually.  I HAVE seen remote users "butt-dial" their trolleys from time to time, you have to learn to set the remote someplace safe when you're not actively using it.  With the QOD, it doesn't feel like a distraction to keep my hand on the handle, and to manually steer it, manually adjust the speed.  For me, I prefer not to use a remote, even if its available.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'm in Dave's camp: it's easier to get the remote-driven carts in trouble, even if it's just a side-hill area where it's going to tip over, than it is to get a hand-controlled cart.

And most hand-controlled carts will drive for 20 yards or 60 yards and stop automatically, too, so you don't have to hand-control them everywhere.

Plus there's the added expense, the added technical stuff (what if the antenna breaks or something rusts), the added "gear" to keep track of, the added batteries that need to be charged…

The only remote I think I'd ever really consider are the ones that "follow" you, but even then they might be a pain because of the list above and you wouldn't want it following you everywhere and so if you forget just one time… it could be disastrous.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with @DaveP043 and @iacas.

I've had an MGI Zip X5 for about 2 months now, and I don't mind not having a remote at all. I have to say, motorized push carts are awesome. My home course is in the hills with lots of sidehill fairways and steep bumpy cart paths, so I like having a hand on the cart at all times to prevent my clubs from tumbling down a hillside, and I doubt I would ever use a remote, even if I had one. Usually just one hand on the handle is enough to steer unless navigating a sharp turn. On some of the few flatter holes, I can let my hands off entirely and walk right behind (being sure to stay arms length just in case) and it tracks pretty straight.

That said, @Zippo seemed pretty happy with his MGI Zip Navigator with remote control.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

10 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

A year ago, at this time (almost November), I was saying I would try to get one more year out of my ancient manual push cart and then, when it fell apart, which I felt was immanent, I’d get a new Clic-Gear. Well, it didn’t fall apart. It’s still operational although I am finding it tougher to push, either because I’m getting older or the wheel bearings are rusting, I’m not sure which. Last year I wasn’t even considering an electric push cart, but I’m seeing them more and more on my local golf course and all the owners who I’ve questioned about them seem very enthusiastic, regardless of the manufacturer. Therefore, I’m now starting to reconsider the whole subject.

I did read Iacas’ enthusiastic QOD (non-remote) review. Unfortunately, it seems there are no QOD’s to be bought at the present time anyway and when I checked a few months ago it was the same thing so I’m not sure what’s up with that company. They also seem to be rather pricey compared to other brand’s non-remote versions. At my local course I see a lot of Bat Caddy’s of various ages and models. It seems there’s an east coast distributor and service center not too far away, which to me is a selling point, and all of the owners I’ve talked to about them are very happy with what they bought. They seem to be well built, are reliable and Bat Caddy makes both remote and non-remote versions of all their models.

I have a somewhat different opinion from @DaveP043and @iacas. I've got about 270 miles on my Zip Navigator now and I absolutely love the remote. I've tried the cart just using the handle controls but it just does not work as well for me. It might be different if I could dial in the exact speed I needed and if that speed would automatically change when I needed it to with the different conditions but it doesn't. With the remote I can send the cart ahead of me towards the ball at a reasonable speed and then slow it down as I walk up to it. I can run it left or right around dips or sprinkler heads or mounds while I can take whatever path I want. I control the cart, it doesn't control me.

I am so used to the remote now that I can operate it with either hand and seldom have to think about it. It's become second nature and I can carry on a conversation while walking down the fairway and the cart is never in my or my playing partner's way. I can run the cart over narrow bridges using the remote without any problem. I really enjoy being able to slow the cart down as I approach the green and pull my putter with the cart still moving forward and I can send it on around to the side of the green that I'll be exiting from while approaching my ball and reading the putt.  If I decide to exit the green from a different side I can easily and quickly bring the cart around to me.

When at the tee or hitting from the fairway I usually place the remote on the cart seat, pull my driver or other club, hit the ball then put the club back in. I pick up the remote and I'm on my way. Any time I'm going to be away from the cart I either hook the remote clip on the top edge of my pants or stuff it in my pocket.

The buttons on the remote are flush with the surface so you have to push them in to activate a function. There's very little chance that you could "butt dial" a function on the remote but, just in case, there is also a "lock" button on the remote which disables all the cart functions except the "unlock" key. It's now also second nature after I've stopped the cart to push the lock button before it leaves my hands. Then, as soon as I've picked it up my thumb goes to the unlock button and we're off. Again, all this button pushing sounds much more complicated and takes more time to tell you about than it does to actually use it.

As to charging - when I get home I bring the cart battery and remote into the house. The cart battery gets plugged into its charger and the remote gets plugged into a USB cord attached to the computer. I usually also am plugging in my Arccos Caddy Link and my rangefinder as well. The few times I've forgotten (or been too lazy) to plug the cart battery or remote in at night they've still lasted me through the round the next day so it isn't much of a problem.

I'm not sure if you can tell or not but just in case - I love, love, love my remote and, as they say, when I go they'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers!

• Thumbs Up 2

I recently purchased a Bat-Caddy X8R, the R designates remote. I never thought I’d own an electric cart, but I really like it.

My home course is hilly and has undulating angled hills on a lot of the fairways. When I’m on those fairways I keep my right hand on the handle of the cart since I’m fearful of the cart tipping over. I keep my index finger over the stop button, and I control the speed with my middle finger and rest the base of my hand on the T-handle, it’s very comfortable. I also need to help the cart up some steep hills, although for very short distances, just a few inches. I have my hand on the handle 75% of the time.

The first time I took the cart out I didn’t use the remote at all since it was all new to me. I had used the remote in my yard but got comfortable with the cart on the course and what it would do before I let go of it.

On the smooth fairways, whether uphill or not, I use the remote. I’m also beginning to use the remote a little more, although in some places I do not feel comfortable letting the cart run free or not having my hand on it.

One thing I really like about the remote is that if I’m not next to the cart I can send the cart to me or down to a spot where I’m going to be and I can meet the cart at that spot. And I only do that when it’s flat or smooth.

I keep the remote in my pocket, turned off, which is what BatCaddy recommends. One thing I learned quickly is to turn the remote on when I remove it from my pocket. It’s panic time when hitting the Stop button and the cart keeps moving and then realizing the remote if off. I got in the habit of sliding the remote button of when going into the pocket and on when removing it from the pocket.

Could I use the cart without the remote? Absolutely. However, I’m glad I have the option of the remote and I do use it. I keep the remote in my pocket with a ball and it’s fine and not cumbersome at all.

I will say this about Bat-Caddy: it’s a great company to deal with. I placed the order one night and the next morning I decided I wanted to upgrade to the better lithium battery. I sent Bat-Caddy and email asking about the upgrade and within 15-20 minutes I received an invoice with the difference in cost and conformation about the upgrade. I also ordered a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned), and to me it looked brand new. It also came with a new battery, all CPOs do, and a standard warranty. I ordered the X8R on a Thursday night and I had it on Monday via Fed-Ex from California.

I have a Kangaroo remote, and at first, the remote was a bit of a distraction, but now, I really like it. I do use it in the manual mode around water, and on steep hills. That being said, I'd be fine with a non remote, also. I really think you'd be happy with which ever you choose.

• Like 1

Well folks, I'm really going to be struggling making a choice on this one. As I usually do, I'll hem & haw all winter, analyze specs, procrastinate and try to get a first hand live look at the ones I'm interested in, namely (in no particular order:)

• Bat Caddy X4 or X8 Pro - I seems well made (very little plastic) and reliable from what I've heard at my golf course. The "Pro" model comes without the remote but with the ability to add it at a later date if I eventually decide I must have one. Also, their service center is in Bethlehem, PA, about an hour from where I live and has a relatively good price for the features. A negative, from what I can see just looking at the pictures and observing a few of the ones I've seen at my golf course, is the battery is just out there in a canvas bag on it's tray with wires dangling that would need to be plugged & unplugged when setting up and taking down which may or may not be a PIA. 
  • PowaKaddy - Model TBD. An British guy on YouTube was pretty enthusiastic in his reviews of a couple of models. Very clean design with the battery snapping in and the setup/take-down more or less like a manual cart. A bit more plastic than Bat Caddy, from what I can see and the "sales agent" is in Illinois. The website is a bit fuzzy on what to do if it needs service.
  • MGI Zip X5 or Navigator - It's sold retail by Golf Galaxy where I may have an "in" for getting a discount. It seems similar in design to the PowaKaddy with the battery snapping into the bottom rear. Again, more plastic than Bat Caddy. I would need to decide on the remote or manual version up front though.

. It ain't gonna be easy deciding. That's for sure. Fun, yes. Easy, no.

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

7 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

It ain't gonna be easy deciding. That's for sure. Fun, yes. Easy, no.

Whatever you end up deciding, I think you'll be really happy with the motorized cart. After two months with mine, I can't imagine going back to a regular push cart, or carrying my bag. I'm holding onto my carry bag for times when I might travel and want to take clubs along but don't want to deal with packing/shipping the cart.

I love that I can pack as much stuff as I want into my bag and not have to be concerned about bearing extra weight. I was always a minimalist with what went in my bag when I carried/pushed, but now I've got a 40oz water bottle, extra layers of clothing a couple boxes of balls, snacks, etc. and the motor does all the work, while I still get to walk the course.

My only complaint about the MGI X5 (and this may apply to other carts as well) is that the umbrella holder is too narrow to fit my Weatherman golf umbrella, which has a thick handle.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

the battery is just out there in a canvas bag on it's tray with wires dangling that would need to be plugged & unplugged when setting up and taking down which may or may not be a PIA. 

I have an X8R and the battery is in a canvas bag that is strapped to the frame. However, once the battery is installed you don't need to touch it again. The cart is designed to be  folded and set up with out touching or unplugging the battery. There is also a small Velcro flap that covers the charging port and that can be accessed without removing the battery from the cart.

Get the remote. If you don't want to use it you will at least have when you do decide to use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2021 at 5:16 PM, Hohjoe said:

I have an X8R and the battery is in a canvas bag that is strapped to the frame. However, once the battery is installed you don't need to touch it again. The cart is designed to be  folded and set up with out touching or unplugging the battery. There is also a small Velcro flap that covers the charging port and that can be accessed without removing the battery from the cart.

Get the remote. If you don't want to use it you will at least have when you do decide to use it.

Well, based on what I've observed and heard from talking with Bat Caddy owners at my golf course and your comments above I went ahead an ordered an 8XR. The price difference between the 8X Pro (upgradable to remote) and the 8XR isn't that much. I did play around with an MGI Zip Navigator that was in a store and wasn't that impressed with all the plastic pieces and I wasn't certain, when folded up, if it would even fit in the trunk of my car if I had a golf bag in there as well.

I already received an email from them that it's on it's way. I've been reading the user manual and so far the only thing I'm wondering so far, what's the most convenient way to charge the battery? You seem to be saying above to keep everything together (frame, battery in its bag) and bring the whole unit to the charger which I assume would be located near a wall outlet in the garage. I would think it would be easier to remove the battery with it in it's bag to do it. Just curious what do you do?

Also, any other tips?

10 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

Well, based on what I've observed and heard from talking with Bat Caddy owners at my golf course and your comments above I went ahead an ordered an 8XR. The price difference between the 8X Pro (upgradable to remote) and the 8XR isn't that much. I did play around with an MGI Zip Navigator that was in a store and wasn't that impressed with all the plastic pieces and I wasn't certain, when folded up, if it would even fit in the trunk of my car if I had a golf bag in there as well.

I already received an email from them that it's on it's way. I've been reading the user manual and so far the only thing I'm wondering so far, what's the most convenient way to charge the battery? You seem to be saying above to keep everything together (frame, battery in its bag) and bring the whole unit to the charger which I assume would be located near a wall outlet in the garage. I would think it would be easier to remove the battery with it in it's bag to do it. Just curious what do you do?

Also, any other tips?

Good choice.

I currently charge mine at the back of the garage. I have the charger on an extension cord and I just remove the BatCaddy from the trunk (hatchback) and set it down and plug the charging cable in. I don’t park in the garage, but plan to do so and I’ll make room for the BatCaddy. I don’t plan to remove the battery from the frame.

Tips?

Keep an eye on it. I have sent mine down the fairway and looked for my ball and the cart was a little further from me than I expected and was comfortable with. You don’t have to watch it every millisecond, just don’t get distracted.

When I take my hands off the cart I make sure I have the remote in my hand and powered on. That may be me being paranoid, but I let the cart run forward once and didn’t have the remote on and it was a moment of panic between when I hit the stop button and the cart failed to stop and when I realized the remote was powered off.

I wish it had some sort of odometer so I could track the mileage. Since it doesn’t, I created an Excel spreadsheet and when I use it I enter the mileage from my Garmin golf app and I let Excel add the mileage and I track it that way.

It takes about 10-12 minutes to set it up out of the box. It takes about 20 seconds to set it up or break it down at the course.

Prepare to love it and how much easier it makes walking the course.

While this is not a review of the Bat Caddy X8R I’ll comment on the original topic of this post as to whether or not the remote is the way to go. It definitely is.

It arrived yesterday via FedEx. It took all of 15 minutes to put everything together, basically the wheels, scorecard and umbrella holder, and then I spent a half hour in the backyard learning how to “drive”, both with and without the remote although it was a little disconcerting when, after only 10 seconds, I had managed to tip it over, then another 10 seconds later, crashing into the green underground utility transformer sitting on my lawn at the bottom of the driveway. You really do have to learn to finesse the left & right buttons on the remote in order to steer. After just a few minutes though it became pretty easy, just as long as I was walking behind the cart it and there was no danger of mixing up left and right.

I played golf today and initially I was pretty nervous with it, especially in the parking lot and around the clubhouse so I just used it manually until my group teed off. However, once out on the golf course and past the first hole, I found it much more relaxing to use the remote than to hang onto the cart’s handle so I would have to say I’m definitely glad I picked the remote version of the X8 series. When using the remote though you do have to pay pretty close attention to what’s in front of you and the cart, just like if you’re in a car. And like Hohjoe said, I found it easy to flip the switch on the remote to off before sliding it into my back pocket so I wouldn’t accidentally “Pocket Dial” and send the thing off while I was putting.  I do need to get more experience sending it off on its own from a distance but that will come with practice I suppose.

I’ll wrap this up by saying that I’ve never completed a walk of 18 holes with as much energy has I had today. Walking upright, like taking a long walk in the park, not hunched over a handle or having to push the cart up a hill, while certainly would never be considered heavy exercise, nevertheless does apparently take a toll on one’s back, shoulder and arms after 4 ½ hours because at the end of the day today I still felt very fresh and not nearly as tired and achy as I usually am after a round.

I don’t really think there is a definitive answer to the remote/manual electric push cart question. Everyone has their own individual needs but for me, being able to use the cart manually when in tight quarters and the remote when out in wide open space, was the correct choice.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

I’ll wrap this up by saying that I’ve never completed a walk of 18 holes with as much energy has I had today. Walking upright, like taking a long walk in the park, not hunched over a handle or having to push the cart up a hill, while certainly would never be considered heavy exercise, nevertheless does apparently take a toll on one’s back, shoulder and arms after 4 ½ hours because at the end of the day today I still felt very fresh and not nearly as tired and achy as I usually am after a round.

That's the best thing about it to me. I'm not as tired and I don't feel like my arm has been stretched from pulling the cart up hills.

16 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

Walking upright, like taking a long walk in the park, not hunched over a handle or having to push the cart up a hill, while certainly would never be considered heavy exercise, nevertheless does apparently take a toll on one’s back, shoulder and arms after 4 ½ hours because at the end of the day today I still felt very fresh and not nearly as tired and achy as I usually am after a round.

It's incremental, my dear Watson.  Carrying is the hardest.  Pulling is second hardest.  Pushing is easier.  Remote with power is easiest but there is so much to be concerned about.  I have a friend with this setup and sometimes he's still maneuvering his cart and bag while the rest of us are on the green beginning to putt.

26 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's incremental, my dear Watson.  Carrying is the hardest.  Pulling is second hardest.  Pushing is easier.  Remote with power is easiest but there is so much to be concerned about.  I have a friend with this setup and sometimes he's still maneuvering his cart and bag while the rest of us are on the green beginning to putt.

After hearing about all your antivaxxer uncoordinated friends all I can say is you definitely need new friends! 😁

Edited by Zippo

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a friend with this setup and sometimes he's still maneuvering his cart and bag while the rest of us are on the green beginning to putt.

I don’t try to get my cart in the perfect position, just close. Which was what I did with my pull cart. I’ll also walk back to it sometimes because it’s easier and less time consuming than pulling out the remote, turning it on, and steering the cart to me.

I walked 18 last Thursday and I had my hand on the cart 90% of the time. I find it easier and less trouble.

I typically only use the remote to send the cart to me after parking the cart and wondering around looking for a ball, finding the ball, and I’m in-between the cart and green. Then I’ll send the cart to me instead of walking back for it.