IGNORED

Pittsburgh Golf Instruction

ben_pgh
Note: This thread is 770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, but used to read all the time back in the day in high school. I'm now in my mid-twenties living in Pittsburgh and looking for good golf instruction in the area! I'm actually originally from Erie (shoutout @iacas for all the awesome tips on here over the years, another Erieite!) but never got the chance to make it to Golf Evolution in town. I'm a former high school golfer and was as low as a 5-6 when playing my best, but nowadays I'm up to the 16-18 range as I haven't had the chance to play nearly as much in the last 5 or so years.

With that said, does anyone have recommendations for good instruction in the Pittsburgh area? Looking to get back into the single digits and feel confident on the course again. Thanks in advance for the help!!

12 minutes ago, ben_pgh said:

With that said, does anyone have recommendations for good instruction in the Pittsburgh area? Looking to get back into the single digits and feel confident on the course again. Thanks in advance for the help!!

I just recommend making the drive up and see Erik at Golf Evolution in Erie. I live near Akron, Ohio, about 2 hours away from Erie and made the trip up there this past Sunday. I have been going up to Erie for over 7 years now. I went from a mid to upper 80’s golfer to a mid to high 70’s golfer. I tend to play tougher courses now than when I shot higher scores.

Yea, if you live in Pittsburgh, I highly recommend you go up to Golf Evolution. It isn’t that far away and the value you get out of the lesson up there is worth that short drive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to agree with @saevel25. I drive to Golf Evolution from Columbus (3.5 hours).  It’s been well worth it for me. Erik has me playing to an 8 hdcp, down from nearly 12 a few years ago. The new GEARS system is amazing for zeroing on weak spots in your swing and tracking improvements. If I were in Pittsburgh, I’d probably be up there a couple times a month.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

23 minutes ago, ben_pgh said:

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, but used to read all the time back in the day in high school. I'm now in my mid-twenties living in Pittsburgh and looking for good golf instruction in the area! I'm actually originally from Erie (shoutout @iacas for all the awesome tips on here over the years, another Erieite!) but never got the chance to make it to Golf Evolution in town. I'm a former high school golfer and was as low as a 5-6 when playing my best, but nowadays I'm up to the 16-18 range as I haven't had the chance to play nearly as much in the last 5 or so years.

I’m going to second what @saevel25 wrote above and say you should make the trip up to Erie and go to Golf Evolution. I go out there for lessons and it’s a seven hour drive for me. It’s definitely worth the trip.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yes Golf Evolution is the way to go. Great instruction. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I make the trip from Weirton, 45 mins out of Pittsburgh

Check out my swing thread with the before and after, it helped me a ton.

just don’t pay too much attention to the 2 most recent posts on my thread, I got burnt out and didn’t touch a club for like 4-5 months 😀

I have to echo the above sentiments. I’m in Wexford, and I consistently drive up to Erie to see Erik. 

My vote would be making that easy drive (I really think I could make it blindfolded at this point) up to Erie. Erik is worth the trip, IMO. 

just my two cents. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@ben_pgh I live in Columbus, Ohio. Technically a little bit North of Columbus. I've been heading up to Erie to get instruction from @iacas. We also send video to and fro via an easy to use CoachNow site.

I only officially started with him in the fall, but I've been up there pretty regularly, once about every six weeks. I think I've done 3 or 4 lessons now. Plus a GEARS session, and 2 group lessons.

Make the trip. You won't be sorry. Plus, it sounds like you already know the area. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

Well, @ben_pgh, I'd love to have you come up here.

I get that it's a long drive, but…

• I probably cost a whole lot less than a lot of the Pittsburgh area guys.
  • Dave and I were the only people west of State College/Nemacolin on the "Best in State" lists…
  • The drive is a great time to listen to podcasts.
  • You'll have enough to work on with me that you don't need to be making bi-weekly trips or anything like that.
  • You'd have to about five more hours to find another GEARS installation.

Just because you missed out when you lived in Erie doesn't mean you have to keep missing out! 😄

I honestly don't know who I'd recommend in Pittsburgh, or I'd tell you someone.

I used to know a bit about Kevin Shields but haven't heard much about/from him lately, so I don't know what he's up to except that he's at Nevillewood. But beyond that… I don't know who I might recommend. And my recommendation of Kevin is… old, for lack of a better word?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@ben_pgh

I drive to Erie from the Boston area to work with @iacas. I also use Evolvr to continue my lessons from Golf Evolution.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Well everyone, I’ve been convinced! Too much support for me to not do it at this point. Erik, I’ll reach out on the Golf Evolution contact form and hopefully we can set something up soon.

I greatly appreciate the input everyone, thank you!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

In the meantime, start a Member Swing topic?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

In the meantime, start a Member Swing topic?

I’ll need to get some current swing videos, but yes I can definitely get started on that too!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

How was your lesson @ben_pgh?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!