IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

20 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure I really understand the point of the medals and the "points" (I have 2740 I think). Is it only used in the Leaderboards? I'd like to see the Leaderboards before I consent to signing up for them. Has anyone here used them?

leaderboards.jpg

I never even looked at the leaderboard feature until now. I saw the “+” button to add a different leaderboard aside from the default, so maybe groups of people who all own the device can have ongoing competition or something. I don’t see the point of default leaderboards (global/nation/handicap). So now I know I’m in ~3900th place in short game proximity, okay, cool I guess. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I don't like that I can't share rounds like you can on GAME.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I never even looked at the leaderboard feature until now. I saw the “+” button to add a different leaderboard aside from the default, so maybe groups of people who all own the device can have ongoing competition or something. I don’t see the point of default leaderboards (global/nation/handicap). So now I know I’m in ~3900th place in short game proximity, okay, cool I guess. 

I think I signed up for it when I first created my account but haven't looked at it until now.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't like that I can't share rounds like you can on GAME.

Yea that was pretty cool.

I started today's round at about 40% battery (forgot to charge it) and it died on 18. I didn't think anything of it because I have played on consecutive days without charging in between (on purpose, to test battery life) and noticed that I used less than 40% battery each round. I don't really have an explanation for it and I'm simply making an observation.

It did auto-create my 18th hole, which ended up being kind of funny because there's a stream running through it surrounded by a 30 yard wide marsh and Shot Scope put my drive right in the middle of it. Also the hole doglegs left and the two "shots" it had created were directly on a line from the tee to the hole location. But they generously gave me a par for the hole; I bogeyed it. I should have taken a screenshot before I edited.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Okay, so some questions.  Because after today's "failed to upload round," coupled with them deciding to not recognize two greens on my semi-home course, I'm pretty done with GG and I am ready to move on.  

How are the stats they give you?  I really liked GG's "compare to X handicap" for reasonable increments of X.  I liked knowing, for example, that over my round my SG:A was better than the 10 handicap baseline, but my putting was worse than the 20 handicap, or whatever.  Well, I liked knowing, I didn't like being that bad at putting.

How used to tagging the side do you get?  I'm slightly worried I'll hit someone I'm playing with, especially on the putting green.

How easy is it to add/remove a shot in the edit round?  I do have a habit of tagging putts multiple times, or forgetting to tag (like if I miss a 3' and then tap in, I probably forgot to tag one of them).

Any reason to get the laser if I have one?  My impression on this one, from reading the thread, is no.  I think theirs adjusts for slope, which I can't use in a tournament anyway, but I'd kind of like to play a round or two with such a laser since I am still really guessing on things like adjusting club selection for elevation changes, and being told once or twice might help me for future shots.  But that's "borrow someone's laser" territory, not "buy this other one" territory.

Last, is there a TST code like there is with some other cool gizmos?  I think when I bought my Speed Sticks, there was some code and TST got some credit for referring me. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

How are the stats they give you?  I really liked GG's "compare to X handicap" for reasonable increments of X.  I liked knowing, for example, that over my round my SG:A was better than the 10 handicap baseline, but my putting was worse than the 20 handicap, or whatever.  Well, I liked knowing, I didn't like being that bad at putting.

Shot Scope has this feature. In the Performance section, you can select which handicap to compare to.

How used to tagging the side do you get?  I'm slightly worried I'll hit someone I'm playing with, especially on the putting green.

It’s easy. Last round, I almost did it subconsciously. I couldn’t remember if I tagged, but I checked on the unit and I did.

How easy is it to add/remove a shot in the edit round? 

Editing is pretty’s easy once you get used to it. I do it on my iPhone. Deleting extra putts is easy too. If shots are on top of each other due to multiple tags, you tap twice and it selects the one underneath on the screen.

Any reason to get the laser if I have one?

I use both. For approach shots, it’s good to know where the flag is in respect to front to back distance. As you know, at some angles it’s hard to know how close the flag is to the sides.

Last, is there a TST code like there is with some other cool gizmos? 

No code currently. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I use both. For approach shots, it’s good to know where the flag is in respect to front to back distance. As you know, at some angles it’s hard to know how close the flag is to the sides.

Thanks!  One follow-up on the quoted portion:  is there any need for the rangefinder being reviewed if I already have one (a Bushnell I've had for eight or so years)?  I am thinking of getting the H4 system but not the rangefinder, unless there's some reason to get the rangefinder too.

Upgrading my GPS to front/middle/back sounds nice.  My current GPS unit (not much to complain about, I got it from a neighbor for $20) does middle-only.  I charge it and leave it tied to the handle of my push cart, probably reference it a few times a round in case my laser reading seems off.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

19 minutes ago, Shindig said:

One follow-up on the quoted portion:  is there any need for the rangefinder being reviewed if I already have one (a Bushnell I've had for eight or so years)? 

If you have a range finder, there isn't a need to buy another.   I have an older Leupold that works well and just purchased the H4.   

• Thumbs Up 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Thank you, @dennyjones

Okay, last question I think.  Anyone know what happened to ShotScope's SSL certificate?  I'm getting that warning when I try to connect and the "buy now" button isn't working (which is just as well if the SSL certificate isn't valid).  But they have a sale until July 1, so I was thinking of getting one soon...

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

6 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Thank you, @dennyjones

Okay, last question I think.  Anyone know what happened to ShotScope's SSL certificate?  I'm getting that warning when I try to connect and the "buy now" button isn't working (which is just as well if the SSL certificate isn't valid).  But they have a sale until July 1, so I was thinking of getting one soon...

They posted on Facebook they are aware of the situation and working on a solution.

Screenshot 2022-06-26 110002.png

Edited by dennyjones
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Shindig,

I agree with Denny. I have a separate Rangefinder that I use.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

@Shindig,

I agree with Denny. I have a separate Rangefinder that I use.

I still use my Bushnell and/or Leupold rangefinders mostly.

The ShotScope one is fine… except that the eye cup is pretty "deep" so if you wear glasses to play it's a bit of a tunnel, like a rifle scope. You have to be aligned quite precisely to look down it, or else you get a strong vignetting effect.

The slope feature and the measurements seem just fine.

Plus, tapping your club to your rangefinder (if you put the GPS thingy there) is weird… particularly for putts. But you don't have to use it for shot tracking, I guess. You could just enable "GPS" mode.

• Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Hmmm, I wanted to add the back nine I played today when I'd left my ShotScope at home (I hadn't planned to play), but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a round. You could pretty easily fake one on GAME Golf.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hmmm, I wanted to add the back nine I played today when I'd left my ShotScope at home (I hadn't planned to play), but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a round. You could pretty easily fake one on GAME Golf.

I'd like that option. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

How responsive are the ShotScope people to you?  I feel like six or so years ago, GG was very responsive to you, but that might be faulty memory on my part.  Are some of the features you've listed something we might see, such as this or the ability to share a round?

-- Michael | My swing! 

How responsive are the ShotScope people to you?  I feel like six or so years ago, GG was very responsive to you, but that might be faulty memory on my part.  Are some of the features you've listed something we might see, such as this or the ability to share a round?

They only respond via email but my experience and looking at the Facebook group, they respond within hours.   They seem to have a very good customer support team.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Shindig said:

I sent them an email.

The idea of sharing golf rounds on Game was great because I have a couple of friends from college who had game and we used to play remote "tournaments". You can do that with The Grint (entering either manually in the app or taking a photo of your scorecard). I wish that option was available with SS, but my guess is that they'd add a subscription fee. 

I want to share something I learned about the Shot Scope app on Android phones. If you are having trouble getting your SS watch or whatever unit to connect, it is likely the app. You need to uninstall and reinstall the app and then everything will be fine.

What causes this is that when you're done synching and editing your rounds you need to log out of the app instead of just doing something else on your phone and forgetting about the SS app. This was from Shot Scope CS. 

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Has anyone played a course that has two greens for one or more holes, each of which could be used any given day?  If so, does the system recognize both as greens?

-- Michael | My swing!