IGNORED

6'1" Player with 35.5" Wrist to Floor - Should I Use Std or +1" Shafts?

Hi everyone,

Hoping to improve my game, I paid for a fitting session at my local golf course.

I am 6"1 tall and 35.5" wrist to ground.

The fitter said I needed +1" golf shafts but all the charts I look at say that I should use standard shafts or at most +1/2" shafts.

Looking at my game, my pro thinks I need +1" shafts.

What do you think?

Without getting into details, I didn't find the fitter particularly professional.

• billchao changed the title to 6'1" Player with 35.5" Wrist to Floor - Should I Use Std or +1" Shafts?

I would get one club, say a 7 iron, that matches your current 7 iron and make it +1. Then work with both for a week at the range or even on the course and see how it feels. +1 seems a lot for 6’ 1”.

• Like 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

+1" clubs will usually be 2 degrees upright lie. Also, they're heavier in swing weight because of the added length.

Check your local thrift store for a standard length 7i and a +1" length 7i. You may get lucky. Put new grips on them. Go to the driving range and see which one you feel more comfortable swinging.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Thanks for your message.

I mistyped +1" when I actually meant +1/2".

I eventually extended my clubs by +1/2" and midsize grips.

My pro liked my new rig and even advised I could have gone for +1" and grip shorter if needed (at the risk of unbalancing my clubs).

My midsize grips, although much better are still too small. He advised me to add 3 layers on the bottom-half of tape to make them more cylindrical to match my finger length.

I was hitting my clubs much better in any case. Next time I'll go above midsize or add more tape.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JerryGolf said:

My midsize grips, although much better are still too small. He advised me to add 3 layers on the bottom-half of tape to make them more cylindrical to match my finger length.

I was hitting my clubs much better in any case. Next time I'll go above midsize or add more tape.

I'm always circumspect when things get too far to the extreme.  Might be the case of course, but I think the advice above about trying it with one club is good advice. Either way, I'm happy you have clubs that are working better for you!!

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Why don’t you Google the Ping color code chart.  One side of the chart is your height, across the top is your wrist to floor measurement.  Where the 2 intersect will tell you where you should be for a static golf club fitting.

• Like 1

If you want to try a longer length, Tour Edge sells demo clubs that you can get at a longer length and modified lie angle to your proposed specifications.  I'm 6'4" and most static fittings say I should be an inch longer as well, or I'm on the border between 1/2" and 1" (as were my Ping irons).  I purchased a demo iron from Tour Edge to try out at 1/2" longer and 2 degrees upright.  After doing well with the club trying it on the course, I was able to call them to purchase the rest of the set, avoiding purchasing a second 7 iron.  Not sure if other companies do that, but you may be able to locate something to demo from another company or by getting a second hand club.

Something to remember too Jerry is that adding a 1/2” makes the clubs another degree upright.

Also, when we go an inch over we use a lighter clubhead.

Edited by Typhoon92

• 3 weeks later...

The only way to find out is hit balls with the two different club lengths and see how they feel and where they fly. If they have a 

tendency to fly left or right the length probably is not right since the lie is incorrect. 

16 hours ago, colin007 said:

Honest question, how does adding length to the shaft change the geometry of the lie angle?

Adding length would in effect raise the toe of the club making it a steeper lie at address and pointing the face more left. But it also could make the shaft flex a bit more at impact which would flatten it. An inch longer though may be fairly insignificant.

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 8/21/2022 at 6:08 AM, boogielicious said:

Adding length would in effect raise the toe of the club making it a steeper lie at address and pointing the face more left. But it also could make the shaft flex a bit more at impact which would flatten it. An inch longer though may be fairly insignificant.

Ok sure, but it doesn't literally change the lie angle of the club correct? That's what I meant, it doesn't change the geometry of the club head itself

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Ok sure, but it doesn't literally change the lie angle of the club correct? That's what I meant, it doesn't change the geometry of the club head itself

Correct. But assuming your stance is the same, the club will be farther from you and the toe would be slightly up more.

Scott

My Swing Thread

58 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Correct. But assuming your stance is the same, the club will be farther from you and the toe would be slightly up more.

Hmm, I think of it (being a tall guy myself with +1" shafts) as standing just slightly farther away and slightly taller, so the angles remain the same and the sides (my posture height and distance to the ball) and hypotenuse (shaft) lengthen slightly

Colin P.

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

so the angles remain the same and the sides (my posture height and distance to the ball) and hypotenuse (shaft) lengthen slightly

Oh goodness…you went there with Scott? Lol.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge