IGNORED

2023 Ryder Cup

jmanbooyaa

I wouldn’t care if the teams were a combination of players from all over the world. One team can use players from all of Europe. I have little nationalistic feelings for Norway and even less for other countries in Europe. It’s probably different for many Americans since their entire team comes from USA.

Not that I expect this to change. One of the best things about these cups is the team factor and players being more emotionally invested than the typical tournament where a nod after a birdie is the extent of emotions displayed. Some assholes both inside and outside the ropes is impossible to avoid and that’s fine.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You are right there, but the media covers it and in some cases make it the focal points. They’re showing the angry fans and players and not the golf shots.

Then again you’re blaming something else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Ryder Cup without fans would be boring. Even the players said that. They feed off the fans in this event. Yes sometimes people go too far. Sucks but it is what it is. Some people just like to be a dick at an event. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I remember being at Medina and Sergio was walking to the next tee along with whoever he was playing with we are right on the rope as he walked maybe 1 foot in front of us and this dude near me screamed as loud as he could right in Sergio's ear, "You F'n suck!" Sergio didn't react at all just kept walking. I  thought that was a little over the line. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Interesting trivia question. Don’t Google before answering.

Does Tiger Woods have more major titles or Ryder Cup point won?

To help you Tiger has played in 8 Ryder Cups. 

Spoiler

Tiger has won 15 majors, his Ryder Cup record is 13-21-3, which means he has only won 14.5 points in the Ryder Cup.

Incredible!

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael

8 hours ago, mchepp said:

Interesting trivia question. Don’t Google before answering.

Does Tiger Woods have more major titles or Ryder Cup point won?

To help you Tiger has played in 8 Ryder Cups. 

Hide contents

Tiger has won 15 majors, his Ryder Cup record is 13-21-3, which means he has only won 14.5 points in the Ryder Cup.

Incredible!

Tiger frequently looked out of place at Ryder Cups, especially his earlier ones. He didn’t do well with partners, or sometimes his partners didn’t play well with him. His singles record was ok though IIRC

Stevie T

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Beastie said:

Tiger frequently looked out of place at Ryder Cups, especially his earlier ones. He didn’t do well with partners, or sometimes his partners didn’t play well with him. His singles record was ok though IIRC

I think it’s more that his partners tended to suck with him, but there were the occasions when I think he felt pressure to play a little bit more normal golf and that didn’t suit his partners. Tiger made his hay in events where even par was good and in Ryder cups you have to make birdies pretty often.

That and literally everyone he ever played against got up to play Tiger while he got up to play probably almost nobody.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Regarding the fervor and fan behavior. I’m fairly new to golf, come from a tennis background. The Davis Cup doesn’t feel like other pro events. It’s intense, it’s intimidating, it’s very nationalistic. It’s also considered a great venue for players to rise above and face an adversity they would not normally. I love it. Love the Ryder Cup. I’ve never seen anything that crossed the line to dangerous or threatening in a real world way. 

8 minutes ago, colinw899 said:

I’ve never seen anything that crossed the line to dangerous or threatening in a real world way. 

I personally think the line that shouldn't be crossed by fans comes well before dangerous or threatening. 

There are plenty of mean and nasty things said by fans on both sides that are crossing the line but aren't dangerous or threatening. The Ryder Cup is not an excuse to verbally abuse players, caddies, etc so long as it isn't dangerous or threatening.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I personally think the line that shouldn't be crossed by fans comes well before dangerous or threatening. 

There are plenty of mean and nasty things said by fans on both sides that are crossing the line but aren't dangerous or threatening. The Ryder Cup is not an excuse to verbally abuse players, caddies, etc so long as it isn't dangerous or threatening.

I hear you. I’m not the heckling type. I’m too respectful and honestly enjoy watching people succeed. But I have no problem with it. Especially when it’s clever. Soccer fans are good at that. “Hats off to your bank account” was pretty good. It’s part of being an athlete. I’d prefer it not be vulgar in front of kids. But I’ve been to Steelers games….”You suck” is really mild. 

4 hours ago, Beastie said:

His singles record was 4-2-2. Pretty good but not stellar.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger made his hay in events where even par was good and in Ryder cups you have to make birdies pretty often.

In socializing this with friends this is one of the best explanations I’ve heard. I’ve heard the bad partner stuff but his Four Ball record is 5-10, yes you have a partner in four ball but if you play lights out you could still win. But certainly we’ve played with guys who make many birdies and win skins even though their score wasn’t very good. Tiger was more steady, avoiding the big mistakes. 

Michael

2 hours ago, colinw899 said:

I hear you. I’m not the heckling type. I’m too respectful and honestly enjoy watching people succeed. But I have no problem with it. Especially when it’s clever. Soccer fans are good at that. “Hats off to your bank account” was pretty good. It’s part of being an athlete. I’d prefer it not be vulgar in front of kids. But I’ve been to Steelers games….”You suck” is really mild. 

Golf is best played with low adrenaline/cortisol. Constant negative hard stimulation can be hard to overcome for players. Some like Cantlay can actually feed off it but others wobble. Doesn't take much.

I think Lacava/Rory incidence underlines how magnified the crowd effect can get. To a point where 30+ year Tour veteran caddy sort of lost his composure and behaved a bit uncharacteristically. 

Euro players like Lowery constantly tapping into this and riling up the crowds is at some point unsportsmanlike. I guess US crowds probably do the same thing at US home events.

IMHO the 13th man (home crowd) is the difference maker.

Vishal S.