IGNORED

New Snell MTB Prime and Prime X

Snell Golf is excited to launch two new golf ball products, available on presale starting Monday, April 3rd with shipping beginning April 10-12th. Hear...

Good news! Two new balls by Snell. There is a video in the link. 

The new MTB PRIME & PRIME X models, are both 3 piece, urethane cover golf balls with performance profiles to meet different golfer needs. Dean Snell, owner and CEO, says “We listened to our customers over the last several years, and one goal was to separate out the profiles of our models a bit more than our previous MTB models, so golfers could really tell the differences and decide which ball was right for them”.

“In our MTB PRIME model we were really able to get the very soft feel many golfers prefer, while keeping fast ball speeds, low driver spin, and with our FLEX+ mantle, a higher rate of spin on short irons. With the higher iron spin that many amateurs need we made sure to keep flight down and accomplished that with a dimple pattern for lower trajectory, I feel this is going to fit a lot of amateur golfers”.

The MTB PRIME X, also a 3 piece urethane model, has a different profile, aiming for controlled spin iron spin. “Not all golfers want more spin, some already spin the ball too much, and others prefer a ball to release for their playing style, this is where the PRIME X can help”. PRIME X has a firmer feel with the same high ball speed/low spin profile on long shots but uses theFLEX-mantle to keep the iron spin at a moderate level. “With the lower spin rates, we modified the aerodynamics to be a higher flight, ensuring both models still maximize distance and performance with their respective spin rates” says Snell.

The 2023 MTB PRIME golf ball models will be immediately offered in white with optic yellow coming this summer. Pricing for the MTB models will start at $32.99 for ONE DOZEN and offer a volume based pricing structure reducing costs to $29.99/dz for a 5 dozen value pack.

I ordered two test packs on pre-order. But they look to ship in a week or two.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's good. Not that this is an issue at all but I can honestly say I can't notice the difference between the current MTB and MTB-X. I play both alternatively. In general, I love them both. 

Interesting to see if this marked 'bifurcation' will have me clearly favoring one over the other. 

Vishal S.

59 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

That's good. Not that this is an issue at all but I can honestly say I can't notice the difference between the current MTB and MTB-X. I play both alternatively. In general, I love them both. 

Interesting to see if this marked 'bifurcation' will have me clearly favoring one over the other. 

I found both the Black and X firmer than the previous Snell I played. I kind of like the softer feel of the previous one.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I knew this was coming but I also needed golf balls so I ordered 5 dozen Get Sum like a week ago. I’ll use them as my winter/spring ball.

Now I have to figure out which prime ball to play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Snell Golf is excited to launch two new golf ball products, available on presale starting Monday, April 3rd with shipping beginning April 10-12th. Hear...

Good news! Two new balls by Snell. There is a video in the link. 

I ordered two test packs on pre-order. But they look to ship in a week or two.

I wonder if they are worried?

They roll out a new product which may or may not be legal suitable under the new local rule next year. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

27 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

They roll out a new product which may or may not be legal suitable under the new local rule next year. 

Should they be? Who’s going to adopt it? US Am? US Open qualifiers? It’s probably a very small percentage of their overall sales.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Should they be? Who’s going to adopt it? US Am? US Open qualifiers? It’s probably a very small percentage of their overall sales.

I don't know.

That was just kind of my point. There's a lot uncertainty at the moment. Just thinking it might suck for the manufacturers who want to roll new stuff out right now. 

58 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Per the release from the USGA..."If adopted, the proposal would take effect on Jan 1, 2026."  They've got nothing to worry about for the next few years.  I'd be really surprised if Snell isn't taking a look at developing a ball to fit the MLR test method, but I suppose its possible that they won't choose to chase what might be a pretty small market.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Per the release from the USGA..."If adopted, the proposal would take effect on Jan 1, 2026."  They've got nothing to worry about for the next few years.  I'd be really surprised if Snell isn't taking a look at developing a ball to fit the MLR test method, but I suppose its possible that they won't choose to chase what might be a pretty small market.  

Oh gosh, you know what, I didn't exactly think that through. 2026 is a ways off. I'm stuck in the mode of thinking this all comes down in August. I'm a tool. 🤪

I know Dean Snell himself has been outspoken in being against the roll back. His reasoning is financial. He claims that there will be R&D costs associated with creating a new ball. But because the manufacturers can't or won't charge the Tour or the Tour Players for the R&D, the everyday consumer will have to pick up the bill. 

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I found both the Black and X firmer than the previous Snell I played. 

Interesting. That is unusual progression in comparison to most other brands. I don't know the exact construction history here but methinks it was done (make firmer) in an attempt to increase short iron/wedge spin. Finally they seem to have found the construction combo to get both with PRIME. 

I am greatly curious about the MLR ball rollout in general. Snell is targeted primarily for the non-elite. I don't see why they should care. Unless they are mandated to. I don't see that either.  

Vishal S.

• iacas changed the title to New Snell MTB Prime and Prime X
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, mchepp said:

I like the new logo much better than the old one. 

It is.

snell_ball_front_new_-_sqaure_1024px_180

The five-packs were sold out, but I added five Prime to my bag and it gave me the $15 discount, so the pricing was the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just like Snell to under-promise and over-perform, my order from Monday is already on its way.  I believe the initial estimated shipping date was Monday 4/10 at best.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Just like Snell to under-promise and over-perform, my order from Monday is already on its way.  I believe the initial estimated shipping date was Monday 4/10 at best.

Yeah, mine is on the way too. I ordered five separate dozen boxes, and was given the $149.95 pricing ($29.99 per dozen).

I still have a lot of MTB Blacks to lose. 😉

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I got the order confirmation but no email saying it shipped, yet. I ended up picking the Prime X.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, billchao said:

I got the order confirmation but no email saying it shipped, yet. I ended up picking the Prime X.

I got both. They deliver tomorrow.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, iacas said:

It is.

snell_ball_front_new_-_sqaure_1024px_180

The five-packs were sold out, but I added five Prime to my bag and it gave me the $15 discount, so the pricing was the same.

I don't play them unless I find one but the old logo was waaaay better

Colin P.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I don't play them unless I find one but the old logo was waaaay better

We disagree again. 😉 

It's similar to but better than this:

sergio-garcia-logo.jpg

Plus it looks like a golf ball.