IGNORED

Internal Out of Bounds (Yay or Nay?)

saevel25

Internal Out of Bounds (Yay or Nay?)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should courses be allowed to use Internal OB?

• Yay
    • Nay

5 hours ago, RayG said:

Well- in this case, that area on 18 is OB for the Members all the time as part of the course.  I don't see any complaints about the internal OB on the 3rd hole (1st hole for members) that borders the same area.  Why should the OB be 'waived' just because the Pro's are in town? It isn't like they aren't using that area- it's part of the Hospitality Village. 

Because for the members its presumably off limits because they don't want them playing off the practice range?  Since (based solely on the photo posted) it certainly doesn't appear to be a practice area this week - just an area of rough between the fairway and the grandstands - I don't see the need for it.

My personal opinion is OB should only exist where absolutely necessary and I don't see this area as necessary.  That's all.  To each their own though. 🙂

Separately, and speaking of driving ranges; wasn't Speith's iconic shot when he won several years ago off the driving range?  We should continue to encourage craziness like that. 🍻 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Because for the members its presumably off limits because they don't want them playing off the practice range?  Since (based solely on the photo posted) it certainly doesn't appear to be a practice area this week - just an area of rough between the fairway and the grandstands - I don't see the need for it.

My personal opinion is OB should only exist where absolutely necessary and I don't see this area as necessary.  That's all.  To each their own though. 🙂

Separately, and speaking of driving ranges; wasn't Speith's iconic shot when he won several years ago off the driving range?  We should continue to encourage craziness like that. 🍻 

I think you are missing the real size of the OB.  I do agree there is a fair amount between the grandstands and the OB line in the one picture but overall it is a very large area.  This is cut from the artical in the OP.

Screenshot-2023-07-18-at-12.08.30-PM.jpg

• Informative 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

22 hours ago, StuM said:

I think you are missing the real size of the OB.  I do agree there is a fair amount between the grandstands and the OB line in the one picture but overall it is a very large area.  This is cut from the artical in the OP.

Screenshot-2023-07-18-at-12.08.30-PM.jpg

Thanks for the info.  You prompted me to go to google maps and they even give a clearer perspective for this week:

image.png.c990f0e85b6e092b928e5438944a94ee.png

Seems like you (or somebody else) mentioned, it's really not adjacent to the grandstands, but rather the big temporary tents.  Plus they're pros/elite ams in a majors champ, I'm cool for them to have to deal with this lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both the 3rd and the 18th at Royal Liverpool are more interesting with the OB that without. 3 especially without the OB it’s just a blaze away with a driver.  It is quite common for courses ( older courses mainly) in the UK to have areas OB inside the footprint of the property. Not so normal to see in internal OB like  @RayG posted above. 

Did you all see Tyrell Hatton put 2 OB in a row on 18 today, tell me you didn’t enjoy that..

Edited by Beastie

Stevie T

• Administrator

I'll make this point: it's not actually "internal" OB. It's not between two holes, it's on the practice range. Lots of courses have an OB line around the practice range, so people don't go onto it to try to play their ball while others are hitting/practicing.

So, Hoylake doesn't have internal OB.

Internal OB is when you draw an OB line between holes on the course, often when it's OB when playing one hole but has no status playing the other hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/21/2023 at 8:36 PM, iacas said:

I'll make this point: it's not actually "internal" OB. It's not between two holes, it's on the practice range. Lots of courses have an OB line around the practice range, so people don't go onto it to try to play their ball while others are hitting/practicing.

So, Hoylake doesn't have internal OB.

Internal OB is when you draw an OB line between holes on the course, often when it's OB when playing one hole but has no status playing the other hole.

Well, yeah... but that messes with the Media's coverage of the story!!! Not to mention Armchair architects and course critics who miss the point of: "If it's marked OB, don't hit it there... Internal, External, nocturnal, whatever. Don't hit it over the white stakes..."

Unless, of course you can fly it OVER the OB area with a driver off the tee. And if you can, then I think maybe it IS time to roll back the ball...

Oh, as for Spieth hitting off the 'range'- he took an unplayable and took advice from referees and rules officials and took a drop 'NEAR' the driving range.

Explained here on YT- 

Edited by RayG

I'm definitely not a fan.  But wouldn't say nay, they can do what they like. It's their course.  They don't even need a reason or have to explain it to me.

On 7/19/2023 at 2:22 PM, RayG said:

When it is appropriate for the conditions and/or design elements, sure- I have no issues. As many have said- "Don't hit it there".

We have a course with 2 sharp doglegs. Both have Internal OB for the direction of play of those two holes. On the adjacent holes, OB doesn't apply. It's for safety reasons more than anything. But- 90% of people ignore it and play them. One hole has a green tucked into the corner of the dogleg and is a 250+ carry over the green to clear it and the junk on the far side to get to the fairway. And yet, people will just play where it lands when the slice it- sometimes while people are on the green or even FROM the green. See below-

InkedBP13.jpg

InkedBP5.jpg

On 7/21/2023 at 8:36 PM, iacas said:

I have never come across an internal OB as described above. 
If there is a safety concern the course usually puts up metal fencing as a barrier. 
Therefore I am having a hard time fathoming my ball being considered OB when I am on another fairway. 
I Understand for better players who can intentionally play down a fairway, however with my game I am and then play the ball where ever it ends up.

I believe I played an entire season without ever playing on the 15th fairway at my home course. I played the 15th by way of the 14s, 13th or 16th....

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

On 8/1/2023 at 9:13 AM, Elmer said:

I have never come across an internal OB as described above. 
If there is a safety concern the course usually puts up metal fencing as a barrier. 
Therefore I am having a hard time fathoming my ball being considered OB when I am on another fairway.

My home course used to have internal OB on a couple holes for safety reasons, so it’s possible. For one of the holes, it was to prevent people from hitting their 18th tee shot over the 8th green and 9th tee, shortening the dogleg 18th hole. So it is a thing, even if you haven’t seen it done.

Metal fencing would be hard to install up to however many feet (80? 100?) high and the hundred yards or so long to block such a shot. Plus it would be ugly. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 7/20/2023 at 4:30 PM, StuM said:

Sure, no members will be on range this week, it is filled with tents, portable toilets, ect.  Do you really want to have the players playing balls in there?  

Well that makes sense but would also make for some golf and potentially exciting food collection given you’d never know if you’re coming back with a few pints and or a golf ball to the head? 😂😁🏌️♂️

Mailman