IGNORED

How to Kindly Explain on the Course, Furthest Away From Hole Plays Next, on the Green or Not?

TapOut64

I am amazed how many seasoned golfers still play that everyone has to be on the green before you play in order of furthest from the hole.  Do they not watch the PGA Tour or any tour for that matter?  Every round you will see someone putting while their playing partners are in the rough or green side bunker but closer to the hole than they are.  I tend to come across a bit harsh and am searching for a kind, even joking way to explain this situation.  I play a lot by myself so I see this all the time.  How do you explain this situation?

Old habits. I routinely will say, "I will go". The thing that bothers me the most are those who do not prepare to hit while others are hitting. Like, get your club and yardage, or prep for your shot as long as you are not distracting the other person. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it was a just matter of convenience when you had to remove the flagstick to have everyone on the green before removing just once per hole. Personally I prefer ready golf and I will play despite being closer to the hole than a partner if they’re not ready. The only time the order of play truly matters is in match play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Ready golf unless its match play or a tournament. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

1 hour ago, TapOut64 said:

I tend to come across a bit harsh and am searching for a kind, even joking way to explain this situation.

Its simple to say "You're away, but I'll chip on if you're not ready."  That kind of comment might start a conversation about the concept of "away first" where you can explain it further.  But its important to remember that it really doesn't matter in stroke play, there's (usually) no penalty for playing out of turn.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Old habits. I routinely will say, "I will go". The thing that bothers me the most are those who do not prepare to hit while others are hitting. Like, get your club and yardage, or prep for your shot as long as you are not distracting the other person. 

THIS! Oh my goodness! THIS! THIS! THIS! 

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think it was a just matter of convenience when you had to remove the flagstick to have everyone on the green before removing just once per hole. Personally I prefer ready golf and I will play despite being closer to the hole than a partner if they’re not ready. The only time the order of play truly matters is in match play.

This too. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, billchao said:

when you had to remove the flagstick

I have not removed a flag in years, even before the pandemic.
took too much time away from putting and moving on to the next hole.

Who has all day to spend on the course. I play ready golf and move on.....

• Thumbs Up 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

We play first man to his ball hits first regardless of where you are. Same goes on the tee, first man on the box hits first. No honors. Hit one in the bush, might as well hit another one, no one is going to help you look for it, unless they have hit in the same area. We usually are racing the storms so a lot of gentlemanly stuff gets tossed aside. Official tournaments, different story of course. Scenario based, attitudes of playing partners you might not know. There's always Mr. By the Book, who usually wears out his welcome by the 3rd or 4th hole. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Ready golf or GTFO

Please tell me the OP isn't a stickler for going in order of who's farthest away for approach shots either....

Colin P.

My regular group plays “Ready Golf” so I do not see that.

I do think @DaveP043idea is good, it states who is away but also promotes ready golf,

Edited by StuM
Fixed spelling error

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

11 minutes ago, StuM said:

I do think @DaveP043idea is good, it states who is away but also promotes ready golf,

I play with a couple of guys who assume that everyone knows and agrees who is away, and will wait silently for their turn.  I'm a big believer in communication, and my suggestion is just another simple way to communicate.  I get the feeling, based on very little actual information, that @TapOut64 may be a little like my friend, standing silently but getting a little bit irritated each second as they "away" guy on the green waits for someone else to chip on from a closer position.  To me, life is a lot easier if we all just communicate.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas changed the title to How to Kindly Explain on the Course, Furthest Away From Hole Plays Next, on the Green or Not?