IGNORED

Whose Reviews do You Trust?

Lately I’ve been going through various golf equipment reviews, and the cynic in me says all of the reviews are biased because websites want advertisers etc. So while I’ve looked at Golf Digest, Golf, Golf WRX, MyGolfSpy, LeftRough, etc it’s hard to tell if the reviews are biased. Obviously, the subjective elements are opinion and opinions differ. In your opinion (appreciating the irony) are there any websites that offer unbiased and objective reviews?

Thanks in advance 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I guess I don't "trust" anyone's reviews, but I also don't "distrust" anyone's reviews. I really don't care what any of the review sites or magazines like or dislike. 

I am always very interested when new stuff comes out. I like shiny things. And I like to here the story about the technology etc... But I also know that what one person likes another person may or may not like. 

When the new stuff comes out I always read and/or watch reviews. I do so even if I'm not planning on buying anything. But those reviews are more just to hear about what's out there. Not to make buying decisions. If I feel I need or want a new stick or set of sticks, I usually have plenty of opportunities to try stuff out for myself so I really don't need to go based off any reviews. I can just test the stuff out myself. If I like it and feel I either need it or want it, boom, it goes in the bag. 

I look at reviews more as entertainment, maybe with a sprinkle of information gathering. 

Most clubs made by any of the major brands today are pretty good. It may or may or not be the style or type I like, but they are never-the-less pretty good clubs. If I get even a static fitting and definitely if I get a full fitting I am probably going to own clubs which will be good enough where my swing will be a bigger determining factor in the outcome of the shot than will my equipment. 

👍😁👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Reviews are like the weather forecast.   One site will say rain showers soon, another to expect thunderstorms, and maybe a third that says go golf, nothing serious.   I've not put a lot of faith in reviews until I've done quite a bit of research into the product.   

Quite a few guys on this site really like Pure Grips.  They are a great product that lasts almost forever according to the reviews here.  They aren't for me.     

I have a H4 Shotscope and love data analysis.   My friends think I'm crazy.   The reviews on this site were positive and I felt very comfortable purchasing the system.   It was an easy transition from GG.

I guess I don't have a particular website that I ultimately trust w/o reservation for any product.   Golf Spy seems to do well with golf balls but again, I play what I like not the best ball according to their research.

Other sites offer reviews but I don't blindly accept their opinion as a "must buy" for myself.   

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Golf Spy seems to do well with golf balls but again, I play what I like not the best ball according to their research.

This is kind of funny, and shows how subjective all of this can be. 

I've totally stopped reading MyGolfSpy's ball reviews. Because I find them worthless. 

I read MGS's other reviews, but I find their Ball Lab a colossal waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChiTown said:

Lately I’ve been going through various golf equipment reviews, and the cynic in me says all of the reviews are biased because websites want advertisers etc. So while I’ve looked at Golf Digest, Golf, Golf WRX, MyGolfSpy, LeftRough, etc it’s hard to tell if the reviews are biased. Obviously, the subjective elements are opinion and opinions differ. In your opinion (appreciating the irony) are there any websites that offer unbiased and objective reviews?

Thanks in advance 

I think your cynicism is right on the money (I am an extreme skeptic/cynic). I don't think there is much value in equipment reviews from golf websites. I especially dislike MGS, because it comes across as a PR tool for golf equipment manufacturers, even though they claim independent and unbiased reviews. My assumption is that most golf sites have relationships with manufacturers, so there is incentive for favorable reviews (even if the website says there isn't). I still like to read club reviews, because I like new equipment, but I don't consider them when making a purchase.

An example from the Golf Digest Hot List. I recently got fitted into a Callaway Paradym 3-wood high loft (not sure why it's not called a 4W). The Paradym is "Gold" on the GD Hot List. Two other GD "Gold" fairway woods were the worst of the bunch I tried. So the "Gold" rating was meaningless for me, not that I considered it to begin with.

There aren't that many of them, but I think the reviews on this site are trustworthy. TST is a community of common-minded people so dishonest reviews would affect reviewer's community standing. My understanding is that the reviewers don't have anything to gain/lose from the reviews (they're not getting paid for a good review). There is also usually a forum topic where discussion can happen so the reviewers can answer questions, etc. The site owner @iacas has affiliate links for some products, but IMO those are very transparent and Erik has said many times (paraphrasing) he (1) doesn't get much from them, and (2) only has affiliate links with products he believes are good.

• Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

2 hours ago, ChiTown said:

In your opinion (appreciating the irony) are there any websites that offer unbiased and objective reviews?

I enjoy the YouTube channel formerly known as "TXG" but now known as "Club Champion Media" for reviews. 

The seem relatively brand agnostic and AFAIK aren't sponsored by any one club manufacturer like a lot of other golf YouTube channels are. 

They also film some of their fittings and coaching sessions too which I have enjoyed watching. 

Personally I enjoy watching a product review moreso than reading a product review, but that's just my opinion. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Thank you to everyone who’s responded. Your thoughts have been very helpful. I should have mentioned that many times I’m trying to use reviews to reduce the number of choices. For example, if I’m looking for a new gps / club tracker do I go with Arccos, Garmin, SureShot, etc  Or same idea with drivers — short of a fitting — can I get down to two or three clubs that I can borrow from the pro shop.

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I especially dislike MGS, because it comes across as a PR tool for golf equipment manufacturers, even though they claim independent and unbiased reviews.

I can tell you this, if Sub-70 ever comes to a sudden stop, MGS's head will go so far up their ass, they be able to wipe both of their noses as the same time. 

I actually refuse to consider Sub-70 product just because of how ridiculously glowing the reviews of their stuff is from MGS. I think the last review MGS did for Sub-70 irons, they actually said that the irons will cure cancer and that the company protects baby seals from being slaughtered. ... Or at least something like that. Perhaps I'm exaggerating. 

• Funny 3

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

There is also usually a forum topic where discussion can happen so the reviewers can answer questions, etc. The site owner @iacas has affiliate links for some products, but IMO those are very transparent and Erik has said many times (paraphrasing) he (1) doesn't get much from them, and (2) only has affiliate links with products he believes are good.

I make < $1k/year with affiliate links on average, and even get close to or slightly above that that in really popular years (i.e. when the Mevo+ was introduced). And yes, I only link to products I personally use, endorse, and can vouch for.

I could make a good bit more money with affiliate links out the rear to everything, but my reputation is not worth the extra $3k or so I might make for one year or so duping people into thinking that I'm recommending crappy but high-paying products. Plus, $750 x 10 > $3k + $1.5k + $150 x 8.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like shiny things.

Distracting Oh Yeah GIF by maddyshine

I view reviews the same as most of you, as a guide. I still need to try things for myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

52 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can tell you this, if Sub-70 ever comes to a sudden stop, MGS's head will go so far up their ass, they be able to wipe both of their noses as the same time. 

I actually refuse to consider Sub-70 product just because of how ridiculously glowing the reviews of their stuff is from MGS. I think the last review MGS did for Sub-70 irons, they actually said that the irons will cure cancer and that the company protects baby seals from being slaughtered. ... Or at least something like that. Perhaps I'm exaggerating. 

I definitely take the view that I want reviews from multiple sources. I’m also reluctant (actually refuse) to purchase things via direct mail or where I can only try one brand (PXG). About a year ago I did a full bag fitting at True Spec and found that the most helpful. Pricey … but helpful 

2 hours ago, ChiTown said:

I definitely take the view that I want reviews from multiple sources. I’m also reluctant (actually refuse) to purchase things via direct mail or where I can only try one brand (PXG). About a year ago I did a full bag fitting at True Spec and found that the most helpful. Pricey … but helpful 

It may sound hypocritical but I own a bunch of PXG clubs and I really like them. Interestingly enough I actually find them to be one of, if not the easiest clubs for me to test. They are always doing fittings and demo days at a course within 15 minutes of my home. Not a fan of their putters, but I like their irons and fairway woods. So, that's what I play. 

I don't really have anything against Sub-70 per se. I've actually never tried anything by them. But MGS going on and on about how wonderful they are and how affordable and blah blah blah... it just turned me off them. Especially when I priced out a set and to get the same shafts/grips I have on my PXG irons it would have actually been more expensive. 

I'm sure that Sub-70 is fine. After all, in reality its nearly always the archer not the arrow. 

You can find good deals on almost anything if you are patient enough. Lots of companies make great clubs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Like a lot of folks I spend too much time on YouTube getting someones take on whatever. What has influenced me the most is the information I have received here. I am the proud owner of a Shot Scope and I use, after some personal comparisons, the Snell MTB Prime X. I think here at TST there is no agenda, none of us are getting paid to push a product so I value and appreciate it when someone shares their experience with a certain item. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22