IGNORED

Car Shopping Time!

saevel25

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Some, some extensive online research... I am leaning towards. 

BMW 230i
BMW M240i
Audi S3
Audi RS3
Toyota GR86 (probably not, but it will remain here for a while)
Subaru WRX
Toyota Supra 2.0 (though the 3.0 would be fun!) 
Ford Mustang (just because it's fun to mess with the car builder, so many options! probably not going to stay)
Mercedes Benz AMG CLA 35 Coupe (looks fun) 
Mercedes Benz AMG CLA 45 Coupe (it has a drift mode, so honorarily put on the list) 

The issue I am finding is that getting a sportier version of a non-sporty sedan doesn't work out well in the reviews, especially for FWD cars. It is very common to spin out the front wheels or get major drift (left or right) when the turbo is engaged on a FWD car. The list above are cars built around the engine versus just dropping a higher HP engine in a typical sedan. 

I've got an Audi A5 sportback, and really like it.  I had an A3 as a loaner for a day (same size as S3/RS3), and while I was appreciative of having the loaner, I found that there were things in the A4/S4 and A5/S5 lines I like better.  No volume knob other than on the steering wheel. The gear shifter is only a toggle switch. And felt a little too small for my taste, and not as "solid" as my A5. (Some say the A4/S4 sedans are more solid than the A5/S5 sportbacks.)

Perhaps more importantly, check the trunk/hatch space for your clubs.  In my (previous) Infiniti sedan, I could fit two sets of clubs and two hand carts in the trunk.  In my A5 sportback, there's not enough width in the back to fit my clubs sideways--only fits at an angle, and only one set and one handcart fit. (If I get a second player, I can drop the rear seat all the way and then there's plenty of room for a second set, etc.).  I knew this going in, and before purchasing I drove to the dealer with my clubs to see how they fit. (Helped that he was a golfer too.) So check on the trunk width/size for your clubs on the S3/RS3 to make sure even one set fits in with cart, etc.

"Someday" maybe I'll move up to an S4 or S5.  I didn't test-drive one, 'cause I knew I'd probably like it too much.  And my A5 is just as fast as my Infiniti was, maybe a smidge faster.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Well, that list is entirely different than the previous one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In all of the different vehicles I've owned (many), I've found that nothing rides like an Audi. I still miss mine and hope to get another one when my kids move out, haha. If I was in the market for a new vehicle for just me and the family wasn't a consideration, it would be an Audi.

I enjoy my Hyundai Sonata. It's the 2.0 turbo sport model and I think it has 245 hp. It's peppy, and, when in Sport mode, the turbo spools almost instantaneously. 

On the lease vs buy argument, the miles end up being limiting for me. I do about 25k miles per year on my car, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, that list is entirely different than the previous one.

Yep, I might do a 180 as I get closer to when I decide to purchase. 😊

6 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

On the lease vs buy argument, the miles end up being limiting for me. I do about 25k miles per year on my car, unfortunately.

Yikes. That is a lot!!

I put about 16-17K. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

If you're literally going to lease the higher end car, without any real intent to buy, you could do that… and turn it in and trade in your Hyundai and buy your next car in 36 months.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wish I learned to drive stick shift at some point, lol. Some of these affordable sports cars get much better reviews on the manual transmission, but they are being reviewed by people who like manual transmissions. That could play a part. 🤣

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Well, I wish I learned to drive stick shift at some point, lol. Some of these affordable sports cars get much better reviews on the manual transmission, but they are being reviewed by people who like manual transmissions. That could play a part. 🤣

Get a manual if you are serious. It will take you but a week to learn and 2nd nature in a few more. 

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Get a manual if you are serious. It will take you but a week to learn and 2nd nature in a few more. 

Yea, I am trying to find a way to get some lessons in on that before deciding if I want to get a manual car. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, I am trying to find a way to get some lessons in on that before deciding if I want to get a manual car. 

The first car I ever bought had a manual transmission. I had to bring a friend with me to the dealership to drive it home.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am lucky enough to have a friend who is going to give me some practice time. Should at least be fun to learn. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I am as big a proponent of manual transmissions as anyone, but if you drive a lot in an urban or hilly environment, you may rue it over time. I live in a rural area, so I love manuals. 

• 2 weeks later...

Updated on the car, the new engine will be in this month and installed the week of the 22nd! 😁

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Updated on the car, the new engine will be in this month and installed the week of the 22nd! 😁

Are you still going to get something new or just drive that with the new engine?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

Are you still going to get something new or just drive that with the new engine?

Probably get something new. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 1/9/2024 at 2:25 PM, saevel25 said:

Probably get something new. 

With regards to this. I was looking at the cost of ownership between buying new versus buying used, and it isn't clear cut. I know a few people who will say always buy used. I think the reason is that manufacturers are now offering complimentary maintenance for 2-3 years. Just running some numbers, it's not so simple. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

With regards to this. I was looking at the cost of ownership between buying new versus buying used, and it isn't clear cut. I know a few people who will say always buy used. I think the reason is that manufacturers are now offering complimentary maintenance for 2-3 years. Just running some numbers, it's not so simple. 

I don't know about todays market since I haven't purchased a car in 4 years but interest rates are usually higher on used cars too so something to factor in as well.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

17 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Revision on this. I made a mistake in my calcs. 

It still depends on the car, but yea a used car is cheaper in most instances. Especially in the first 5-7 years. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

You might know this already but current year demo/ loaners have to be sold as used but with full warranty. Back in 16 I bought a 16 Corolla loaner for about 4k less than a new one. When I bought my 2022 I bought it right after they took it off the truck so no deal, but at the time they had zero Corollas on the lot and I was there when the truck rolled in the lot and pointed and said Ill take it. I'm shopping now for a Tacoma but hoping the market will crash a bit.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22