IGNORED

First Time Buying Clubs

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm on the hunt for some new clubs and I could really use your expertise in putting together a complete set. Thanks to some generous gifts, I've accumulated a stack of Drummond Golf vouchers from various occasions like Christmas and birthdays. Lucky for me, they offer free fittings, ensuring I'll be properly matched to my new gear.

While I've only been playing golf for about nine months, I'm fully committed and hitting the course regularly—usually two to three times a week. Currently sporting a 25 handicap, I understand that might not scream "need for new clubs," but with all these vouchers burning a hole in my pocket, it seems like the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

I'm willing to invest around $3000, factoring in the value of my vouchers ($1000). In terms of specifics, I'm after a 4-SW iron set, a reliable driver, a trusty fairway wood, a versatile rescue wood, and wedges in 52, 56, and 60 degrees also I will be looking into a putter myself.

Despite my handicap, I'm not looking for something overly forgiving; instead, I'm eyeing a set of clubs that will grow with me on my journey from where I am now to hopefully reaching scratch one day. Longevity and performance are key for me—I want gear that will stick by my side through thick and thin as I strive for improvement.

Any insights or recommendations you can offer would be immensely appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read through this and for any help you can provide. Cheers!

Welcome to TST.  That's great advice from Chet, as always.  

Don't rush to buy the clubs.  Hit many different manufacturers and different lofts. Get some real numbers first.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Australian dollar = .66 US dollar so the budget is about $2,000 US.

To me getting new clubs after 9 months seems a bit rushed unless the current set is a bunch of mismatched old clubs. You know your situation better than I, so best of luck in your quest. Trying multiple brands and sets of clubs is excellent advice. Lessons will often yield better results than new clubs. A year or two old set of clubs costs a lot less than a new set.

• Thumbs Up 2

Brian Kuehn

Hello from Florida. All I would add is that this site is a gold mine of free information. Erik @iacas is a extremely knowledgeable instructor and he freely shares information here. There are other people here that give great advice as well. Take the time and dig around and take advantage of what the site has to offer.  A great example is the "30 Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan" It's under instruction. 

• Thumbs Up 3

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

To me getting new clubs after 9 months seems a bit rushed u

Please refer to @ChetlovesMer item #3.😃

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

17 hours ago, jamesjoshua3 said:

Despite my handicap, I'm not looking for something overly forgiving; instead, I'm eyeing a set of clubs that will grow with me on my journey from where I am now to hopefully reaching scratch one day. Longevity and performance are key for me—I want gear that will stick by my side through thick and thin as I strive for improvement.

@ChetlovesMer made a pretty good post so I'm just going comment on this particular thing. My advice is, don't. Don't buy blades or players' irons with the idea that you're trying to grow into them. I know plenty of good golfers who don't play with your typical "low handicap" clubs. Golf is a game all about skill and while properly fitted equipment matters, it's not as significant as simply developing a better swing and learning how to score. I'm willing to bet Rory can beat me playing with junior clubs.

Get a proper fitting. If you really don't want SGI clubs then explain that to your fitter up front so they don't waste their time and yours trying to fit you into clubs you're never going to buy, but approach the process with an open mind. There's no reason you couldn't play GI clubs as a single digit player.

Forgiveness isn't a bad thing. There's something to be said about still hitting a green knowing you toed the crap out of the shot.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 3/13/2024 at 8:21 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

The question of "which clubs should I get?" is a little like asking "Who should I marry?" The correct answer is different for everyone. 

The first thing I would suggest, however, is take a look at your current gamers. I assume you have clubs as you've been playing for 9 months. Why do you feel those are insufficient?  

There are a few reasons to change clubs. These may include:

1. My current clubs are improperly fit for me.
  2. There is new technology out there that can improve my game.
  3. I like shiny things. 

There are other reasons too, but this is a starting point. Additionally it may be a combination of things. 

The second thing I would suggest is trying a lot of clubs first. I know a lot of golfers, I've played with a lot of golfers, I've met a lot of golfers at the range and on the course. Take a look at what they have in the bag. I find that nearly every time I say "Hey, how do you like those which-ever irons?" the person nearly always response with "I like them a lot, want to try them?" Literally last week I tried two guys' irons that I met at the range. I didn't ask either time, they offered. If they don't offer you can at least ask to take a look at them. The more clubs you try the more prepared you'll be when you start looking for your new sticks. 

The third thing I'd suggest is asking your swing coach for advice. If you don't have a swing coach, get one. Finding the right swing coach is sometimes more difficult then finding the right clubs. But I can almost guarantee you you will make more progress faster by getting a good swing coach then buy purchasing new clubs. 

The fourth thing I'd suggest is be prepared you might not see the miracle results that the fitting companies claim you will see. True Spec Golf is big out where I am and they make all of these outlandish claims that a 32 handicap will save 7 strokes by getting fitted. ... Maybe? ... If the clubs that 32 handicap is using are completely ill-fit. Should you get a fitting? Of course you should. Nine times out of ten if you are buying new clubs it's free anyway. So, yes, get fitted. But be prepared. The fitting may help tame "some" of you bad shots and/or make your really great shots a little better. But don't expect a fitting to do much more than help a bit with the feel of the clubs. 

Lastly I hinted at this before, but I'm a big believer in finding the right swing coach first. If you told me a had to play with ill-fitted clubs but I would have a great swing coach who fit my learning style and helped me improve. Or I could have perfectly fitted brand-new clubs but had to figure everything out on my own. I'll take the ill-fitted clubs and the swing coach. 

Good luck in your journey. Keep posting. We're glad to have you as a member of the forum. 

Thanks for the advice this is great stuff, My current clubs I purchased cheap from Facebook market place, the brand is Koala and i can't find them anywhere online it's a full iron set 5-SW with the 5 having a bent shaft. I am currently a student in University so for the time being getting a swing coach isn't the play for me, I will definitely be looking into it in the future. I will be sure to try a range of different clubs and see what I like. Once again thanks for the advice and the information. 

19 hours ago, snapfade said:

Hello from Florida. All I would add is that this site is a gold mine of free information. Erik @iacas is a extremely knowledgeable instructor and he freely shares information here. There are other people here that give great advice as well. Take the time and dig around and take advantage of what the site has to offer.  A great example is the "30 Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan" It's under instruction. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to look further into this

1 hour ago, jamesjoshua3 said:

My current clubs I purchased cheap from Facebook market place, the brand is Koala and i can't find them anywhere online it's a full iron set 5-SW with the 5 having a bent shaft.

I'm going to go a bit against the grain, here, and suggest if your current clubs are ill-suited for you (don't know that they are and don't know that they aren't), then a fitting and new clubs may not be a bad idea at all.

I have seen comments by coaches, club manufacturer's representatives, and other players to suggest poorly-fitted clubs can not only retard your progress, but can encourage you to poor swing mechanics.

I am currently a student in University so for the time being getting a swing coach isn't the play for me, ...

If you have time to play, you have time to get instruction ;)

Consider on-line instruction. There are several options. I believe @iacas does on-line instruction, for example?

The point here is: At only nine months in the time is now to learn good swing mechanics, rather than having to unlearn them later.

I will be sure to try a range of different clubs and see what I like.

I'm going to suggest you not discount GI clubs out-of-hand. My feeling being that, at only nine months in, the thought that you're going to buy new clubs now, grow into them, and use them the rest of your golf journey for the rest of your life is probably not likely.  Particularly at your age.

I lucked-out.  I was gifted an entire bag.  Everything but the irons was replaced w/in the first year because they were really, really poor clubs.  The irons, oddly enough, actually suit me pretty well.  Even then: If I start playing regularly I expect to replace them.  My current irons are most-closely matched by player's CB irons, these days, so that's what I'd tend to gravitate towards.  But if a fitting shows GI irons can tame my misses a bit and give me a bit more distance--can maybe shave a few strokes off my HC, then that's what I'll get.