IGNORED

Phil One of the 10 Most Hated Athletes

iacas
Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I've known some teachers who have some very harsh and negative opinions about things like "Hooked on Phonics" or Sylvan Learning Centers that do very productive and beneficial work.

I strongly agree with NM Golf - Sylvan Learning Centers are

a huge ripoff . My wife was going to do this as a summer gig last year but when she was told what she'd be doing and what she'd be paid, she nearly laughed her ass off walking out the door. But let's get back to topic (or start another in the off-topic areas of this site).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife happens to be a teacher also, and actually worked for Sylvan Learning Centers for a short time, the summer we moved down to S.Fl.

I don't think it's entirely fair to call them a "ripoff" without citing any specific charge...for kids with ability but no self-discipline they can have a beneficial result, but in truth a motivated parent could accomplish as much at the kitchen table. So, we're not big fans, but for parents who have money but no time or patience they could be an effective babysitter for your middle-schoolers.

As to Phil, I keep hearing from several behind-the-scenes sources that off camera he's an arrogant p***k. As to the "watch" issue, I thought handing the guy a couple of bills was patronizing. Phil was wearing a watch himself; the REALLY decent thing to do would have been to strip it off and give it to the guy. So what if it was a Rolex? It's not like he couldn't afford to replace it, and that would have been great P.R. if nothing else.

I mean, if he wants to play the good guy on camera and all that...

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

Go ahead Tiger give em another slingshot 6 iron and I hope they use it when they stick you up for your Rolex!!!!!!Now lets end this Damn thread and move on PLEASE!!!!!

Not to be petty, but Tiger actually wears Tag Hauer.

You really need to keep track of all of the 7 figure deals these guys have. All of these guys have foundations and most probably do good things for the communities. However, the primary job of the foundation is to give them a tax shelter. Phil or the people around him know that they can make a lot of money by his image. I read his book last year and it was almost nauseating. The way he talked sounded like an eppisode of Leave It Too Beaver. I was just waiting for him to say "Gee Wiz Bones, this putt sure looks like a real doosie." If he does actually talk that way, I like hime even less. He just comes off to me as a little rich boy who has been told to smile and wave so he can make more money.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Administrator
Phil or the people around him know that they can make a lot of money by his image. I read his book last year and it was almost nauseating. The way he talked sounded like an eppisode of Leave It Too Beaver. I was just waiting for him to say "Gee Wiz Bones, this putt sure looks like a real doosie." If he does actually talk that way, I like hime even less. He just comes off to me as a little rich boy who has been told to smile and wave so he can make more money.

The few times I've overheard Phil talking to Bones, it's been kinda rude. I remember once time Phil had a ball nestled down in the rough and he wanted to kinda punch it with the 4W he was carrying. It wasn't a long shot, but he had to get down to the ball. Bones said "I think if you cut the 3W it'll work" and Phil said "Are you listening to me? I said I thought the 4W would get me there. Give me the 4." It wasn't said in the nicest tone, and they'd just started making the decision, so it's not like Bones was contesting Phil after he'd made up his mind.

The few other times I've heard him it's always kinda been the "gee, what a prick. Bones must just like the money" variety.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The few times I've overheard Phil talking to Bones, it's been kinda rude. I remember once time Phil had a ball nestled down in the rough and he wanted to kinda punch it with the 4W he was carrying. It wasn't a long shot, but he had to get down to the ball. Bones said "I think if you cut the 3W it'll work" and Phil said "Are you listening to me? I said I thought the 4W would get me there. Give me the 4." It wasn't said in the nicest tone, and they'd just started making the decision, so it's not like Bones was contesting Phil after he'd made up his mind.

Thats the exact conversation I spoke about earlier in this thread. The tone of voice on Phil was disgusting.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

Thats the exact conversation I spoke about earlier in this thread. The tone of voice on Phil was disgusting.

You know if you are going to like or dislike Tour guys by how they treat their caddies you'll sure end up not liking most of them. Caddies are employees and part of their job is to put up with what their employers mood swings. Bones and Phil are friends, a lot of caddie/golfer combos out there are purely business partnerships. Those caddies know what they are getting into when they take it up, and they get paid pretty well for doing it. Like Phil or don't like Phil noone really cares but to base your dislike on his relationship with his caddie?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

You know if you are going to like or dislike Tour guys by how they treat their caddies you'll sure end up not liking most of them...

That's probably true enough: I suspect that quite a few of the tour players are arrogant, self-absorbed, spoiled little brats. That really doesn't excuse the behavior, however.

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

You know if you are going to like or dislike Tour guys by how they treat their caddies you'll sure end up not liking most of them. Caddies are employees and part of their job is to put up with what their employers mood swings.

I'm starting to see NM Golf's point here. Let's consider the facts for a minute. Bones and Phil have a professional and established relationship, where Phil is the boss, and Bones an advisor/helper. Just like my job. My boss has spoken to me in much worse tones! But has anyone ever heard Phil speak to Bones like a regular human being, or take Bones's good advice? I'm not saying it happens or doesn't happen, I wouldn't know. But things such as those tend to be mentioned far less... ?

Personally, I don't like Phil. But NM makes sense. What would be evidence though, is Phil "frog-splashing" senior citizens, then the Phil-bashing is ON! (iacas, I think you're right about the thread going off-topic now. Hmmmm...)

In the bag
Driver: MP001 10* Aldila NV
Hybrid: Tour Edge JMax Bazooka 27*
Irons: x12
Putter: Tour Edge BackdraftBall: MoJo

What would be evidence though, is Phil "frog-splashing" senior citizens, then the Phil-bashing is ON!

I don't see Phil as the Frog-Splash type. I don't think he could climb to the top rope. I see him as more of the Haystacks Calhoon style. Just sitting on his opponent. Now we are officially off topic. Anyway, like him or hate him. I tend to be neutral, leaning towards disliking him. His play lately is very good for the game. Now that he is a legitimate threat to win majors, it will only make the game more compelling if he can step up to challange Tiger. Not to write him off (as much as I would like to), but it looks like Vijay's run may be tapering off (I can only hope and pray). Ernie is still not 100% and to often publicly acknowledges that Tiger is better than everyone else. Retif is a solid golfer that can win any week, but is about as exciting as flat white paint drying. Phil is probably the second most visible golfer on tour and hopefully he will be able to go head to head with Tiger for a while. Then again, lets see how he does if he is paired with Tiger in the Final round of a Major.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• 9 years later...
Really cool!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Phil Mickelson leaves 6-year-old a $99 tip at his lemonade stand

At least it's confirmed once again that when it comes to tips, Phil beats Tiger every time.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I, for one, have never understood the Phil haters........

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I think they're all Eldrick fans.  Maybe it's one of those things like if you're a Houston Texans fan you automatically hate the Dallas Cowboys and vice-versa. :-)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

There is a reason he is known as FIGJAM-And his agent does him no favors and phoniness is not a great quality.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Very interesting read... Some guys never realize that the money, fame, and attention can sink you. It takes an incredible amount of self-centeredness to not see this even after years. Some guys are asses to start with and all the attention does nothing but intensify it.

Bill Cosby heard someone say that cocain intensifies your personality. Cosby asked, "Yeah. But what if you're an ass-hole?" Same goes with fame and $.

I hope Phil got his ship headed in the right direction after all these years.

;-)

Now for this Cosby fellow.... :whistle:

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Bill Cosby heard someone say that cocain intensifies your personality. Cosby asked, "Yeah. But what if you're an ass-hole?" Same goes with fame and $.

And then he had a sandwich and some rape.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!