IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for 2 months. I've taken 2 lessons and am picking it up extremely quickly. I will add I am very athletic and naturally have a very smooth swing. For reference I can hit my 9 iron 150 yards sky high( that's only 3 out of 10 times, other 5 its 135-140 sligjtly mis hit, other 2 either topped or low liner). Ok so onto my driving. I have no idea how far I carry my drive but its pretty consistently 270-285 total. I'm about a 20 handicap. How is this? Well first off ill hit about 3 out of bounds a round. Now onto irons. Ill top a few a round. Now onto chipping around the green. I duff a few and it will go 6 inches, or ill hit it and it will be a low liner across the green. On long par 3's it can get very messy very fast if I don't hit a good tee shot. If im in a trap who kmows what will happen. Now onto putting. This is where I really struggle. Just today on an easy par 5 I reached the green with a 3 wood and 3 putt. Another par 5 I had a 10 foot birdie put and it never had a shot. Just because I csn drive it far doesn't mean I'm consistent. My strong point is I can hit my 3 wood of the deck dead straight every time which really helps me pick up strokes on par 5's. the reason I suck so much is Im not consistent at all. I know I just started but for me getting a bogey pretty much every hole is pretty dam good. Edit: I will say that distance is when I hit the ball great. Otner times its In the 230-250 range on a miss hit. I'd say I mis hit about 30% of the time so my average is prob 260

You, my friend, will definitely be called on that. "consistently 270-285"? out of 16 fairways, how many do you actually hit? There are distinct correlations between handicap and # of fairways and green hit. With the description in your own words of your own game, 20 would be a REAL stretch.

Originally Posted by RayG

You, my friend, will definitely be called on that. "consistently 270-285"? out of 16 fairways, how many do you actually hit? There are distinct correlations between handicap and # of fairways and green hit. With the description in your own words of your own game, 20 would be a REAL stretch.

16 fairways?  What kind of course do you play on?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Machmood

I've been playing for 2 months.

I have no idea how far I carry my drive but its pretty consistently 270-285 total.

My strong point is I can hit my 3 wood of the deck dead straight every time which really helps me pick up strokes on par 5's.

Seriously.......where do these people come from?

It's getting more and more absurd.

What I find particularly aggravating is that this person, who has been playing for 2 months, asks us to ponder why he is about a 20 handicap, as if it's bad.

Fact is, a person who has been playing for 2 months who played to 20 would be making absolutely astonishing progress.

Therse people have never seen a proper golfer playing and invent all kinds of crap.

It's not enough to be a necomer enjoying the game and makinhg steady progress, they have to have statistics and ridiculous claims like being able to hit 3 wood off the deck dead straight EVERY time.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

What I find particularly aggravating is that this person, who has been playing for 2 months, asks us to ponder why he is about a 20 handicap, as if it's bad.

Fact is, a person who has been playing for 2 months who played to 20 would be making absolutely astonishing progress.

Therse people have never seen a proper golfer playing and invent all kinds of crap.

It's not enough to be a necomer enjoying the game and makinhg steady progress, they have to have statistics and ridiculous claims like being able to hit 3 wood off the deck dead straight EVERY time.

1. "They" are one and the same person with multiple identities. to wit: Amongamus or whoever.

2.  It is a secret society formed for the sole purpose of "needling" people on golf forums, getting them to react e.t.c. for their own amusement.

3. They have a code name called    "Metuwannabe".

4. Many of whom have been expelled from other forums such as WGC golf (or whatever its called).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I thought he was explaining why he sucks, not asking?

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Originally Posted by Shorty

Hard to believe this is still going on, have to agree with you Shorty, where do they come from?

No life and way to much time to think this crap up, I guess I really suck I hit my driver 220 and happy with that!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by smellysell

I thought he was explaining why he sucks, not asking?

Exactly.

You don't "suck" at golf after 2 months.

You are trying to make decent contact.

You aren't scoring and you certainly aren't a 20 handicapper.

You also are not consistently hitting it 280 and you are not hitting your 3 wood "dead straight off the deck every time" as this guy claims.

My point is that in addition to making stuff up - these people seem to think that after a few weeks you "suck" if you aren't as good as all the other internet liars.

THEN......they post about how they are in a "slump" because they had a bad round or are wondering why they had a bad range session.

Expectations get out of control.

It's like a teenage boy thinking that girls who are photoshopped and with fake everything are normal and real girls don't measure up. Reality bites.

These guys will eventually play with a real golfer after talking themselves up, saying "I'm about a 12" and will score 120 and say "I don't usually hit it like that".

And they ask for advice on clubs based on their "handicap"  - or worse still, manufacturers direct certain products at certain "handicaps".

So....the 30 handicapper who think's he's a "12", or the 25 who thinks he's a "6" is forever in a cycle of delusion and disappointment.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by RayG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If you have only 1 par three per side... that leaves 16.

Never seen an 18 hole course with fewer than 4 par 3 holes.  Not in 40 years of playing.  That has to be very rare.

Rick

Me neither...but if a first time golfer can hit 300 yards I'm sure a course like this must exist!!!

I've been trying to teach a coworker of mine all summer to golf, he's not even good enough to be worrying about a handicap yet. A double bogey for him is good, that's not really the point of this though. We were playing the other day and the course we play on has a par 3 ranging from 180-190 to the center of the green. Well the tees were back and the pin was in the back of the green causing it to play close to 200. I feel more comftorable using a 5-iron then a 4-iron so I hit my shot to about the center of the green. Not really enough club with a 5-iron, anywho, my friend decides since I used a 5-iron he's good enough to use his. Not only was it one of his best shots I've ever seen it ended up being about 10 yards passed the green. The point of this story is I believe a lot of these fools when they say they can hit the ball 300+, I've seen new golfers do it. But hitting the long ball once isn't "consistently" hitting it that far.

You guys crack me up. I don't hit my 3 wood off the deck dead Straignt? Friday I played with a 65 year old guy, wasn't long at all. On a 135 yard par 3 he hit an 8 iron and I hit my wedge as a reference . He hit his drives about 230-240. We both played bogey golf, although we were giving eachother some not so gimme putts. Whats so hard to believe about that. As far as fairways I hit i already said ill hit 3 out of bounds a round . I think the course i play has a lot to do with it. To me it seems very easy. Wide fairways to hit, greens aren't guarded etc. the course is twisted dunes in NJ. I've played a course called sea gate in south jersey and this course was much harder. I wil post a video of my irons and driver and u can be the judge. Is bogey golf with maybe 1 or 2 doubles really tnat hard?

[quote name="Fourputt" url="/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant/810#post_884486"] Never seen an 18 hole course with fewer than 4 par 3 holes.  Not in 40 years of playing.  That has to be very rare. [/quote]Fourputt, I thought the exact same thing when I read it too. Then I re-read and although it still doesn't make a lot of sense, I think he was saying that he hit two provisionals, and hit them well, then somehow managed to find his "provisional worthy" originals in the fairway along with said provs. That would put you at 16 fairways on a standard course. Doesn't mean he's not still full of malarkey, but I believe that is his math.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Quote:

Never seen an 18 hole course with fewer than 4 par 3 holes.  Not in 40 years of playing.  That has to be very rare.

Fourputt, I thought the exact same thing when I read it too. Then I re-read and although it still doesn't make a lot of sense, I think he was saying that he hit two provisionals, and hit them well, then somehow managed to find his "provisional worthy" originals in the fairway along with said provs. That would put you at 16 fairways on a standard course. Doesn't mean he's not still full of malarkey, but I believe that is his math.

Since you can only count a ball in play, the provisional ball isn't a fairway hit until it becomes the ball in play, and if that happens, it negates the other ball which obviously didn't hit the fairway.  Any way you look at it, he either plays a course with only 2 par 3 holes, or his logic is suspect.

Rick

Originally Posted by Machmood

You guys crack me up. I don't hit my 3 wood off the deck dead Straignt?

I think they took exception to the "every time" qualifier.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Lol ok ill accept that. I hit my 3 wood well of the deck. Usuasly keep it straigt, occasional drifter to the right And prob top one every so often. If anyone here knows the course twisted dune and knows the 9th hole par 5. Easy driver then 3 wood to the green or a sand wedge . Easy to pick up birdies .

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!