IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its pretty much arm length only. I just couldn't find anything related height to arm length (shoulder to hand), so i was guesstimating. But i think 3" difference is not a bad number to assume for an 8" height differential. But still, that's assuming a lot their. But arch length does make a difference, as well as swing type. I am assuming a lot just to isolate the height. It does have an advantage.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So basically this means that height is only usually an advantage due to having a proportionally larger arc to the swing since wingspan usually correlates with height?

Also, wouldn't a more narrow back be an advantage to having a larger swing arc rather than a detriment? If your back is shorter, wouldn't it stand to reason that a greater percentage of their armspan would be "usable" in the sense that their arms would be lover than someone who had broader shoulders with the same wingspan?

Interesting thought, what is the best build for long driving?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Typically I'd say flexibility trumps just build.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Not really sure but there are are many different factors that you can get distnace from. Smash factor. And clubhead speed cause by strength, leverage, flexibility or a mix of both. I don't get much leverage but I am fairly flexible strong and have good smash factor

I guess it's one thing to brag about it on a forum and it probably not be true, but completely different if it is true.  If you are a 20 handicap and hit it 300y, that's believable.  Not sure why anyone would rant or care about that possibility.

I'm in the camp that distance capability does not necessarily equate to skill level.  Just because Jim is bigger, stronger, and/or more flexible than you doesn't mean he has the short game or control that you do.

In fact Tee it Forward was created on the premise that you should pick a tee/course distance that corresponds to your DRIVING DISTANCE, not skill level.  So even the people that know a little bit about golf and create initiatives like that understand distance and skill do not necessarily go hand in hand.

So yes, absolutely there can be 20+ handicappers that hit the ball 300+ yards.  And I would guess they are more annoyed by the OP ranting than the OP is annoyed by them. :-D

Typically I'd say flexibility trumps just build.

I agree. I think it was Miller that said today's long hitters are golfing Gumby's. Daly was a good example in his prime.

Dave :-)

Not really sure but there are are many different factors that you can get distnace from. Smash factor. And clubhead speed cause by strength, leverage, flexibility or a mix of both. I don't get much leverage but I am fairly flexible strong and have good smash factor

Yes, a good swing will overall produce consistent usable distance. You can train distance as well. A person who is more fit, is naturally going to hit it farther. People ask, "How can i hit it farther". The answer is two fold. One, get a better golf swing. Two, work out more. Its not a hard concept to understand.

I agree. I think it was Miller that said today's long hitters are golfing Gumby's. Daly was a good example in his prime.

Daly had incredible hand eye coordination, and had good wrists. He wasn't overly flexible. To me the most flexible person on tour is Dustin Johnson, that guy gets crazy torque. Its the reason why his swing looks not as fast as Bubba, who lashes out, yet his ball just gets crushed. Look at the difference, Daly had to overswing, and time his swing, and Dustin can go to parallel and bomb it farther than Daly.

How can we believe a 20 handicap can hit it 300 yards. Well if he's physically capable, then yea he can. The only thing we doubt is the swing mechanics. Now does hitting 300 yards 10% means he can't hit 300 yards. I don't think it does. That's why say ball speed is the number one indicator. If you can get a ball speed above 165 mph your going to be in the 300 yard range.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There is also a negative to a larger swing radius, and that is returning the center of the clubface to the ball.  The longer the arc, the more difficult that is.  That's why many amateurs actually hit the ball better when they shorten the driver shaft... it's then easier to find the ball with the sweet spot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

There is also a negative to a larger swing radius, and that is returning the center of the clubface to the ball.  The longer the arc, the more difficult that is.  That's why many amateurs actually hit the ball better when they shorten the driver shaft... it's then easier to find the ball with the sweet spot.

Yep. Also one of the reasons a 9 iron is easier to hit than a 5. Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I guess it's one thing to brag about it on a forum and it probably not be true, but completely different if it is true.  If you are a 20 handicap and hit it 300y, that's believable.  Not sure why anyone would rant or care about that possibility.

I'm in the camp that distance capability does not necessarily equate to skill level.  Just because Jim is bigger, stronger, and/or more flexible than you doesn't mean he has the short game or control that you do.

In fact Tee it Forward was created on the premise that you should pick a tee/course distance that corresponds to your DRIVING DISTANCE, not skill level.  So even the people that know a little bit about golf and create initiatives like that understand distance and skill do not necessarily go hand in hand.

So yes, absolutely there can be 20+ handicappers that hit the ball 300+ yards.  And I would guess they are more annoyed by the OP ranting than the OP is annoyed by them.

This is not true on many levels, but I'd simply like to point out that Tee it Forward is based on a combination of length AND skill.  The two are used in conjunction, for example, when they say that a "bogie" golfer from xxx distance is not likely to hit the green, thus you should tee it up from "xxx" set of tees.

And nobody reduced the argument to the level of "skill level = xxx driving distance."  Instead, there is a threshold where a specific skill level or above will not generally be able to average a specific driving distance or above.

The other discussion going on is very interesting and probably even deserving of it's own thread.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I think the overall thread is a good one, but maybe the 20 handicap is too low a thresh hold as that's almost like saying that no one who can bogy every hole they play hit it 300 yards, when technically it is easy to imagin.. I don't think anyone who has played and has heard stories would argue that people will generally overstate how far they can hit the ball because it does effect ones ego.. Also, it is an easier way of making your self feel good since you can always say to someone "ya, I was bombing it today, but my short game let me down" than it is to say "I was hitting crisp shots that were going straight" as the first might explain your ballooned score while the second almost necessitates a good score.. I do have to admit i generally take away at least 25-30 yards from anyone's claim right from the start :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Diet is a very important variable for hitting bombs with the driver. I rely on a consistent supply of miller lite and bacon. It does the trick!

Don't forget the lumberjack cheeseburger, and shot of whiskey.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Shot a 93 my first round in 8 years today. I have no handicap yet, but I'd imagine I'm 20+. My drives were in the 240-260 range today and actually hit 5 FIR. I could see someone hitting longer, without scoring well.

Don't forget the lumberjack cheeseburger, and shot of whiskey.

Good call! I think we just came up with a dirty combo for hitting monster drives! Before your next range session....enjoy a tasty lumberjack bacon cheeseburger and wash it down with miller lite and a shot of jack. There is just so much manliness in that, no way you will hit a drive under 300!

Shot a 93 my first round in 8 years today. I have no handicap yet, but I'd imagine I'm 20+. My drives were in the 240-260 range today and actually hit 5 FIR. I could see someone hitting longer, without scoring well.

That's exactly what I feel. Plus having a couple occasional playing partners who hit that far and wild, convinces me. :-) :-) :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Good call! I think we just came up with a dirty combo for hitting monster drives! Before your next range session....enjoy a tasty lumberjack bacon cheeseburger and wash it down with miller lite and a shot of jack. There is just so much manliness in that, no way you will hit a drive under 300!

Just wait till you take that 18th shot (whiskey and drive) :-).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This is not true on many levels, but I'd simply like to point out that Tee it Forward is based on a combination of length AND skill.  The two are used in conjunction, for example, when they say that a "bogie" golfer from xxx distance is not likely to hit the green, thus you should tee it up from "xxx" set of tees.

Where did you read that?  I hear people say that all the time, but all it takes it a simple visit to PGA.com to read that is not accurate.

Shouldn't golfers select tees based on their handicap?
Not in this approach. The idea is to help golfers play from tees that allow them to hit more lofted clubs for their approach shots.

Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!