IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

if you want to know your swingspeed shoot me a pm, i can get you hooked up with a device that will measure your ss, 120mph average and you are probably hitting 300 yards average.

its on ebay now - £99 buy it now - f ing bargain.

kenny

i was a 20 handicapper once that hit the ball 290-310. a lot of times i would be in the rough or if i had a great lie i'd simply just miss the green. from there i might blade a 60 across the green, chunk one from off the fringe and 3 putt. it really isn't that hard to believe. hitting 300+ yards isn't as coveted as it once was. but to be honest with you...i don't hit 300 yd drives as much as I used to because I simply don't go after it like I did before, but i do hit fairways and greens consistently. :)

the reality is that they hit the ball 300 yards once out of 12-14 holes they use the driver.

any 20 handicapper is probably also spraying it all over the course. so they see the one drive that ends up in the fairway after hitting it downhill / downwind and they think they are the next comming of tiger. piece of advise to those that like to speak highly about their own driving distances... better to underestimate than over estimate. additionally - stuffing a 75 yard wedge shot to 5 feet and getting in from there is much more impressive than hitting 1 bomb out 10 attempts. and much harder to do might i add.

sorry but 300 yards drives are something most golfers will never achieve without significant help - unless you swing at around 120mph faster than the average tour pro you aint going to be averaging 300 yards.

You DO NOT need to swing 120 mph to hit the ball 300 yards. On tour there are not many if any players that swing 120 in tourneys and there are plenty who hit it over 300 yards.

ON subject I have also noticed the mid-high handicappers telling their Long drive stories and I think it's funny. If you can hit the ball 300 yards DON'T practice hitting driver. Work on your short game. I would be embarrassed if I hit 300 yard drives from the stories so called "consistently" and couldn't barely break 90, or 80 for that matter. If you can make solid enough contact to hit the ball 300 yards you have no business being on the golf course making consistent bogies.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

Being that I average around 210-220 yards only off the tee, all bad shots included, and my handicap is a 19.4 at the moment, I'd say it's pretty damn pathetic that there are people who can pound it 300 yards on average, and yet I can beat them. Cracks me up just thinking about it.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if you want to know your swingspeed shoot me a pm, i can get you hooked up with a device that will measure your ss, 120mph average and you are probably hitting 300 yards average.

cant you just go to a golf shop with a launch monitor and get your ss for free... just by demoing some clubs?

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

cant you just go to a golf shop with a launch monitor and get your ss for free... just by demoing some clubs?

ABSOLUTELY. Any golf shop worth their salt will have a SS on their monitor in their cage.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

The shop I went to had a ball speed monitor, not a swing speed monitor. My Ball speed went from 148 to 153 with 151 being about average. I dont know what that translates to...not 300 yards on the course, that's for sure! Sometimes it does, but it's more like 1 in 50 than 1 in 20.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I've hit one drive in my life over 250 yards. It went 275, the last 50 of which were downhill, and I had a 30 mph wind behind me. If I can get 12-14 drives to average 200 yards and not be more than 10 yards off the fairway I'm thrilled.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Im lucky to break a 100 and i cant drive the ball consistanly over 250.

Those two go hand in hand.

If you have the fundamentals to break 90 you can hit it 250 (typically). If you have the fundamentals to break 80 you can hit it 275 (typically). If you have the fundamentals to break 70 you can hit it 300 (typically). There are exceptions of course with little tiny fellas that just can't generate the swing speed. The whole point is that the same fundamentals that give you very good consistency with your irons will allow you to pound the driver which is why people who routinely hit the ball 300 and yet can't break 90 are generally full of shit.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

I hit a 325 yard drive with about a 5 yard draw this week downwind. Measured it with my Bushnell and double checked with google earth. 2 holes later I shanked it 50 feet off to the left, lol.
My average drive is about 260 with about a 10 yard fade.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Pfft, I don't know what your deal is. I'm a 30 handicapper and I hit 325-350 regularly.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

Those two go hand in hand.

wow... where'd you get that from? dont tell the single digit senior group at my club those stats... half of them barely reach 200 with driver...

heck ive broken 80 more than a few times and consistently break 90 alot of the time and im in the 220-230 range driver wise... just because a guy can generate high swing speeds doesnt automatically make them a low scorer... i played with 2 guys yesterday that had horrendous all arm baseball swings... they outdrove me on every hole but were always in trouble... i know they didnt break a hundred cuz they never got any girs whereas i was getting girs dinking and dunking... they couldnt chip/pitch/putt... all they could do was bomb balls in the general direction of the hole
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Are you smoking something today I shot a 79 and I dont typically hit the ball 250

Depends on the course and depends on the person but in general if you are a single digit handicapper you can hit the ball at least reasonably far.

The reason being that in order to hit a driver a long ways you need a flat left wrist at impact, a good plane line, good lag throughout the swing, and so on and so forth. In order to consistently hit good approach shots from 125 in you need a flat left wrist at impact, a good plane line, good lag throughout the swing, and so on and so forth. Hell in order to be good around the green you need the same fundamentals too. It isn't rocket science and I would love to see a legit single digit handicapper that doesn't have those proper fundamentals. If you do not have a flat left wrist, good plane, and good lag it is virtually impossible to be good at anything in golf aside from putting. You will not reach a single digit legit handicap without those fundamentals which I mentioned and with those fundamentals virtually anyone can hit it 225+ consistently.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Depends on the course and depends on the person but in general if you are a single digit handicapper you can hit the ball at least reasonably far.

While there are some exceptions to the rules, I believe that you have hit this one on the button.

Note: This thread is 1543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!