IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think you misunderstood. I have my on-course carry distances down. I know a decently hit iron goes - on average - a certain yardage which is between flush and so-so strikes. What I don't do is actually track distance of every shot I hit on course - including big misses - so that I would know what my actual in-field average distance is on each shot (e.g. my average drive would be significantly shorter due to the occasional top). I don't know how I would even play to such a distance. If I clubbed based on my actual club average on course including the really poor shots, I would end up hitting a lot of shots well beyond my distance target (i.e. off the green). I guess I don't see how the actual distance including the real clunkers would be helpful.

It's not useful for playing, but for tracking your improvements.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's not useful for playing, but for tracking your improvements.

I think I get you now - for consistency of strike with each club.

Is one non-tech way of doing this by noting on the scorecard which club you hit on an 'awful shot' and a note for full, sand, pitch, or chip? As the number of awful shots come down then your impact consistency is improving.

example of 4 awful shots: D-F, 4i-F, SW-P, 8i-C

Kevin

I think I get you now - for consistency of strike with each club. Is one non-tech way of doing this by noting on the scorecard which club you hit on an 'awful shot' and a note for full, sand, pitch, or chip? As the number of awful shots come down then your impact consistency is improving. example of 4 awful shots: D-F, 4i-F, SW-P, 8i-C

I've even had negative tee shots. 100 yards forward and 120 yards backwards. Those really pull down the averages. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On the same tee shot? How's that work?

Ball hits tree, tree gets pissed off and throws it back at you.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Ball hits tree, tree gets pissed off and throws it back at you.

I haven't had a negative that I can remember but I did have one a few years ago that came back and off to the right to about 60 yards from the tee box.

The hole is only 290 and the freak (and yes I call him that to his face) I was playing with drove the green. I went to my ball and as I got ready to hit my second shot I noticed he was already on the green sizing up his putt.

If it was anybody else I probably would have waited them out until hopefully they realized they were in my way. Since you couldn't hurt the freak with a 20 lb. sledgehammer I went ahead and hit my shot from 240 out.

It ended up between his ball and hole as he was looking at it. I thought that will teach him to ignore me and think I'm out of a hole. ;-)

That's a hell of a perfect collision if you average 230-240.

It was probably one of my 250-270 yard drives gone wayward. ;-) I'm not using my steel shafted clubs much any more, so distances are a bit longer than my 220 average.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 4 weeks later...
Update: Driver: 250 carry 265 total 4-wood: 228 carry 242 total 1-iron: 230 ground 240tee 2-Iron: 220 3-iron: 207 4-iron: 197 5-iron: 185 6-iron: 174 7-iron: 163 8-iron: 151 9-iron: 139 PW (49°)127 52d. 90-110 58d. 75 and in... I refuse to hit my 58 full, I don't even hit my 52 full, really to be honest from 7-iron-the wedges I don't use more than a 10x-1x swing

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• 1 month later...

Why is it I have a slow swing speed (100-102mph) in this forum but the vast majority of people I play along with I hit it the furthest? Could someone explain this to me?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

My 3baysGSA numbers - these are carry numbers

PW 110 - 112

9 iron 122 - 126

8 iron 133 - 135

7 iron 142 - 147

6 iron 154 - 156

5 iron 162 - 165

4H 174 - 176

3H 186 - 188

5FW 198 - 205

Driver 213 - 216

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Why is it I have a slow swing speed (100-102mph) in this forum but the vast majority of people I play along with I hit it the furthest? Could someone explain this to me?

Hahaha. Easy!

For internet purposes, say with a driver, for a given day you (not you specifically, but an internet long hitter) take a huge lunge at one, get lucky and it goes 280. You duff 5 others, they go 75 yards each. 5 others go 175 maybe. 2 go 230 but 1 is 40 yards off line. Therefore, you will now say you drive the ball 280, or you can say that you average 260 when you get decent contact (which means you average 260, right?) :-)

But it makes entertaining reading, eh?  I have an even slower swing speed than you and rarely get consistently outdriven (wild foul balls don't count). Outdriving me only once or twice doesn't count, either.

I still have yet to meet anyone over a 7 or 8 handicap that averages over 250 off the tee at sea level. Only been playing 40 years, I'm sure to meet one any day now, I'm sure. I lead a sheltered life :-)

Steve

All values are approx., at sea lvl and decent temperatures: Driver: 250 carry 265 total 3-wood: 235 carry 250 total 2-hybrid: 225 4-iron: 200 5-iron: 188 6-iron: 177 7-iron: 165 8-iron: 155 9-iron: 145 PW (46*): 135 GW (50*): 122 SW (54*): 105 LW (58*): around 85 but hardly use it for full shots These are values from last season, switched my whole bag after 8 yrs. so will see what happens :-)

I still have yet to meet anyone over a 7 or 8 handicap that averages over 250 off the tee at sea level. Only been playing 40 years, I'm sure to meet one any day now, I'm sure. I lead a sheltered life

This is a very common belief so there's got to be a lot of truth to it, but I know someone who hits all his clubs very long and still plays double-bogey golf. It pisses me off too because I'd love to get within two clubs of what he hits.

My son doesn't play very often - just a few times per year - and hitting longer than everyone else is what he enjoys doing (to each his own). The thing is, I've seen him play with some real touch around the greens so I believe he has the ability to score low. Being somewhat of a perfectionist, he simply chooses not to take on the frustration of taking the game seriously. He's always been smarter than his old man.

Jon

I play at sea level also and think you've hit the nail on the head. Big hitters at this altitude hit it about 220-230 on an average day. Summertime, dry and hot, they can hit it out there 290-310 sometimes, but that's just the luck of the conditions. Heavy air here. The low scorers here are the great putters on wet greens..

There could be some internet inflation of distance, but giving the benefit of the doubt to the majority of posters I would say it's due to selection bias. More serious or challenge addicted golfers are forum members. The typical player that you encounter doesn't bother with internet research or often with even a handicap.

Also, you could also be hitting with a positive angle of attack with driver which would make you more efficient in distance produced for your swing speed than the average golfer.

Kevin

Driver: 250-260 (Carry); roll is anywhere from 0 - 30 yards depending on conditions.  Usually it's about 10-15 yards.

4+ Wood: 235

2i: 205

3i: 195

4i: 185

5i: 175

6i: 160

7i: 150

8i: 140

9i: 125

PW: 115

52: 100

SW: 85

Note: This thread is 991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!