IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think Highdata is the only one posting best hit ball distance.   In field, I rarely see anyone "averaging" 250+ yards.  And yet, this thread is full of players hitting 280+ yard "average" drives.  Come on, folks.   I played 100 - 150 rounds per year for the last 4 years.   I've seen only one guy who averaged 280 yards.  What gives?

My good drives average about 240+ yards.   When I count the bad ones, it drops to 210 yards.   The discrepancy may be smaller for lower handicappers, e.g, 280 yard good drives and 270 yard average.

True story:

I was playing with these two young guys.   We were on a par 4 tee which has a short cut across water to the green.   Ball has to carry 240 yards over water.  These guys step up and aim over the water, full of confidence.   Guess what?  They both put their ball in water.    It's not like hitting range balls, ball after ball, is it?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Remember, though, that this is true for everybody ... Including you. ;)

No argument there :)

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Umm, that makes you no more athletic than me, and it has no bearing on how far you can hit a golf ball.  It's not like the NFL is overrun with guys who average 320 yards off the tee.  Guys who think that athleticism is the main correlation with driving distance are usually giving away just how much they know about the golf swing.  That is what's amusing here

Your swing is what matters, not how fast you run or how much you lift.  Your ability to transfer that fast-twitch to the ball with speed and power is a function of mechanics.  You either have them or you don't, and only a couple swing videos would be necessary to verify it.

Will disagree with what you are saying to the extent that athleticism will, in my opinion, define the upper limit of what is possible with a well choreographed execution (mechanics etc). Athleticism can limit what is possible with excellent mechanics just as poor mechanics limits what is possible as a result of excellent athleticism. We can argue in circles all day about this one.. these two factors are inexorably interrelated when it comes to distance.

I should have also mentioned that I am 6'3" / ~215lbs and have a lot of flexibility in my shoulders - I have a great mechanical advantage over people who are stronger than me. I just happen to be decently strong, have lots of fast twitch, am tall and also have good flexibility.

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

So? I'm 5'9" 160 lbs, and even my midget ass can deadlift 350. Doesn't help me hit it 400 yards. I also played wing (fastest guy) for the college Rugby team, have played football, baseball, and tennis all my life, and can blow most people off the line in a race. Again...doesn't help my golf game.

One of my golfing partners is much stronger than me, and I can hit my 3 wood farther than his driver.

The typical video excuse is a lame one, and only further validates the fact that you're full of shit. If you were truly that athletic, you'd have no problem putting YOUR money where your gigantic mouth is.

Clever use of expletives.. If you ask me, the only thing validated here is that you are probably suffering from small man's syndrome. Do you still wear Nike Air Max with the 1" heels to parties?

BTW, I've never seen a 3 iron carry over 250, and end up with a distance of 255. That may be the most impressive part.

I mean, your 3i hits the fence on the fly, which is 250 yards out. Which means it would carry what, 252-253? Maybe if you get your deadlift up to 350, you'll get more than 2 or 3 yards of rollout.

I should have worded that differently.. my 3i sometimes hits the fence on the fly, in which case I would be looking at something more than 255 yards. Sometimes I roll into the back fence.. I have absolutely no trouble with the statement that a 3i stroke wherein I make solid contact will travel 255 yards on average.

I'm done with this thread.. I have been suckered into an argument over e-penis size with a bunch of anonymous people on the internet. I lose on that basis alone.

Although it might have been interesting to have my gf film a few swings at the range.. I don't think I would actually get any constructive comments on how to improve, based on the commentary in this thread. Shocking as it may seem, that would be the only reason for bothering.

Take it easy gents

Playing for a about a year and 3 months, score avg is around 99-105 now. My 3h-P are Adams a30s clubs, my SW and 60* are no namers. My driver is the Bridgestone J40.

Driver- Avg is 200 yrds for the last few months, on a great shot (once a round) I'll hit it 230-239

3h-175 (never get a great shot with this thing)

4H 170 ( I love this club)

5H-160-165

6i - 150 ( Always pull this club to the left, really not sure why)

7i- 140+ ish

8i 135 club all day

9i 125

P 110-115 ( I've been getting more distance with this club, one of my favorites in the bag)

SW 85 yards (huge gap from my sw and P )

60* (really inconsistent with this shot if I had to guess maybe 35-50 yards) If I skull it to the moon aka someones house.

putter- as far as I can throw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Remember, though, that this is true for everybody ... Including you. ;)

No argument there :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Umm, that makes you no more athletic than me, and it has no bearing on how far you can hit a golf ball.  It's not like the NFL is overrun with guys who average 320 yards off the tee.  Guys who think that athleticism is the main correlation with driving distance are usually giving away just how much they know about the golf swing.  That is what's amusing here

Your swing is what matters, not how fast you run or how much you lift.  Your ability to transfer that fast-twitch to the ball with speed and power is a function of mechanics.  You either have them or you don't, and only a couple swing videos would be necessary to verify it.

Will disagree with what you are saying to the extent that athleticism will, in my opinion, define the upper limit of what is possible with a well choreographed execution (mechanics etc). Athleticism can limit what is possible with excellent mechanics just as poor mechanics limits what is possible as a result of excellent athleticism. We can argue in circles all day about this one.. these two factors are inexorably interrelated when it comes to distance.

I should have also mentioned that I am 6'3" / ~215lbs and have a lot of flexibility in my shoulders - I have a great mechanical advantage over people who are stronger than me. I just happen to be decently strong, have lots of fast twitch, am tall and also have good flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

So? I'm 5'9" 160 lbs, and even my midget ass can deadlift 350. Doesn't help me hit it 400 yards. I also played wing (fastest guy) for the college Rugby team, have played football, baseball, and tennis all my life, and can blow most people off the line in a race. Again...doesn't help my golf game.

One of my golfing partners is much stronger than me, and I can hit my 3 wood farther than his driver.

The typical video excuse is a lame one, and only further validates the fact that you're full of shit. If you were truly that athletic, you'd have no problem putting YOUR money where your gigantic mouth is.

Clever use of expletives.. If you ask me, the only thing validated here is that you are probably suffering from small man's syndrome. Do you still wear Nike Air Max with the 1" heels to parties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

BTW, I've never seen a 3 iron carry over 250, and end up with a distance of 255. That may be the most impressive part.

I mean, your 3i hits the fence on the fly, which is 250 yards out. Which means it would carry what, 252-253? Maybe if you get your deadlift up to 350, you'll get more than 2 or 3 yards of rollout.

I should have worded that differently.. my 3i sometimes hits the fence on the fly, in which case I would be looking at something more than 255 yards. Sometimes I roll into the back fence.. I have absolutely no trouble with the statement that a 3i stroke wherein I make solid contact will travel 255 yards on average.

I'm done with this thread.. I have been suckered into an argument over e-penis size with a bunch of anonymous people on the internet. I lose on that basis alone.

Although it might have been interesting to have my gf film a few swings at the range.. I don't think I would actually get any constructive comments on how to improve, based on the commentary in this thread. Shocking as it may seem, that would be the only reason for bothering.

Take it easy gents

To be fair you brought it upon yourself posting those ridiculous numbers. If you were such an avid golfer as you make out, you would instantly know posting numbers like that would cause a ruckus. If you averaged those distances, you would be a scratch golfer. You sure post like one. Also, not sure if it is the same in America, but in the UK a typical range will hold balls that travel 75/80% the distance of real balls.

Originally Posted by Highbeta

Take it easy gents

You'd be very surprised.

I'm yet to see anyone post a video asking for constructive comments and get bashed for it. Most of the people here are helpful, and give great advice...regardless of whether or not they think you're full of it in other threads. Myself included.

You can't come in here with claims that you're the biggest hitter on the PGA tour and not expect people to think you're full of it. It's just the way it is...

And for the record, I have no Nike air max shoes...I have no issues with my height. Hasn't hurt me in my career, golf game, or love life, so I don't see it as an issue.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

It amuses me that guys who are tall and "muscular/athletic" automatically assume that means they can hit the ball further than those that don't necessarily fit that description. You wouldn't think looking at me that I'd hit as far as I do, but at the same time that doesn't mean I'm a good golfer either. I'm very similar in length of shots to Slice and Savael but with much less consistency at this point due to not playing/practicing enough. In my opinion, hitting the ball far is not the hard part, it's putting it where you want that is. Many people on here doubted I had the ability to hit drives out to 300 yards due to my handicap, but it's not handicap that dictates the ability to do that.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

It amuses me that guys who are tall and "muscular/athletic" automatically assume that means they can hit the ball further than those that don't necessarily fit that description. You wouldn't think looking at me that I'd hit as far as I do, but at the same time that doesn't mean I'm a good golfer either. I'm very similar in length of shots to Slice and Savael but with much less consistency at this point due to not playing/practicing enough. In my opinion, hitting the ball far is not the hard part, it's putting it where you want that is. Many people on here doubted I had the ability to hit drives out to 300 yards due to my handicap, but it's not handicap that dictates the ability to do that.

Yeah, I can account for it. I personally saw this guy hit a PW 160 yards, and drive it 300. And he's a terrible golfer.

(Though in his defense, we were just all terrible that day)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Yeah, I can account for it. I personally saw this guy hit a PW 160 yards, and drive it 300. And he's a terrible golfer.

(Though in his defense, we were just all terrible that day)

I may be a terrible golfer, but I was consistent to my handicap . I've never had illusions about how good I am at golf, I am somewhat illusioned about how good I could be at golf though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Highbeta

No argument from me there.

Now, you may possess this ability.  And I'd have no problem admitting you hit it much further than I.  However, you need to realize and/or appreciate the weight of your claims.  Do you concede that if you were on a track and field forum and a guy posted claiming to be an amateur sprinter, but having run sub 9.9s 100m times, that you would be skeptical?  That would put him in the top 1% of all sprinters and somehow being unknown.

Now, I'm not saying that somebody who hits their 3i 255 yards has to be on tour or popular, but that is definitely a 1% type elite distance that is bound to draw plenty of skepticism.  I remember seeing Tiger hit his 3i 270 yards last year and my jaw dropped (and stayed that way for a while).  With your distances, you are claiming to be at that level, and most anybody familiar with the game would be taken aback from those sort of claims, for good reason.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

It amuses me that guys who are tall and "muscular/athletic" automatically assume that means they can hit the ball further than those that don't necessarily fit that description.

Last night they were showing some celebrity skills challenge on the golf channel.  Two ex-football players, baseball players, basketball players and olympians:

The Ace Hardware Shootout field includes World Series Champions David Wells and Gary Sheffield, Super Bowl Champions Richard Dent and Otis Wilson, NBA All-Stars BJ Armstrong and Otis Birdsong and Olympic Gold Medalists Mark Spitz and Chad Hedrick. The event also features two-time RE/MAX Long Drive Champion Jamie Sadlowski in addition to hosts NFL Hall of Famer Steve Young and World Series Champion Kevin Millar.

The longest drive of the 8 of them belonged to David Well, and it was in the 240-ish range, I believe.  Jamie Sadlowski came in for a couple of mulligans for the teams that couldn't hit the fairway and his 2 drives were 330-ish and 315-ish.  And it's pretty easy to tell when he's standing next to all of those other athletes that he is NOT a very big guy.

Interesting tidbit from his wiki page:

Sadlowski is able to generate such massive lengths far beyond those of some of the more powerfully built professional golfers because of his unique flexibility and leanness of build, remarking, "Because I'm lean, I can get in positions other long drivers can't." [5]

Last night they were showing some celebrity skills challenge on the golf channel.  Two ex-football players, baseball players, basketball players and olympians:

The Ace Hardware Shootout field includes World Series Champions David Wells and Gary Sheffield, Super Bowl Champions Richard Dent and Otis Wilson, NBA All-Stars BJ Armstrong and Otis Birdsong and Olympic Gold Medalists Mark Spitz and Chad Hedrick. The event also features two-time RE/MAX Long Drive Champion Jamie Sadlowski in addition to hosts NFL Hall of Famer Steve Young and World Series Champion Kevin Millar.

The longest drive of the 8 of them belonged to David Well, and it was in the 240-ish range, I believe.  Jamie Sadlowski came in for a couple of mulligans for the teams that couldn't hit the fairway and his 2 drives were 330-ish and 315-ish.  And it's pretty easy to tell when he's standing next to all of those other athletes that he is NOT a very big guy.

Sadlowski is able to generate such massive lengths far beyond those of some of the more powerfully built professional golfers because of his unique flexibility and leanness of build, remarking, "Because I'm lean, I can get in positions other long drivers can't."[5]

Yeah, he's just a little shorter than me and has about 5 or 10 lbs on me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Sadlowski is able to generate such massive lengths far beyond those of some of the more powerfully built professional golfers because of his unique flexibility and leanness of build, remarking, "Because I'm lean, I can get in positions other long drivers can't."[5]

Any idea if Sadlowski was using regulation equipment?

Any idea if Sadlowski was using regulation equipment?

No idea.  I will say, though, that they were posting Trackman numbers for the other guys and on David Wells 240-ish yard drive, Steve Young announced his smash factor as 1.51!?!?!?!?!

His driver didn't look ridiculously long or anything, but I couldn't really say for sure what the specs were.

No argument from me there.

Now, you may possess this ability.  And I'd have no problem admitting you hit it much further than I.  However, you need to realize and/or appreciate the weight of your claims.  Do you concede that if you were on a track and field forum and a guy posted claiming to be an amateur sprinter, but having run sub 9.9s 100m times, that you would be skeptical?  That would put him in the top 1% of all sprinters and somehow being unknown.

Now, I'm not saying that somebody who hits their 3i 255 yards has to be on tour or popular, but that is definitely a 1% type elite distance that is bound to draw plenty of skepticism.  I remember seeing Tiger hit his 3i 270 yards last year and my jaw dropped (and stayed that way for a while).  With your distances, you are claiming to be at that level, and most anybody familiar with the game would be taken aback from those sort of claims, for good reason.

To add to this, "1% of all sprinters" bit, only 1% of all people can run track varsity in high school and only 1% to 2% of them can run in college with some potential for 9.9s times. Not a large number, less than a few hundred athletes around the world can do it or have done it?

However, I think driving the ball 300 yards is not really like running a 9.9 100m (The record for 100m is something like 9.58 by U. Bolt, and the record for drives is 550 yards by M. Dobbin), it might be more like breaking 10.2 (which a lot more people can do). That is still pretty good, but possible by many more people.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The sprinting thing isn't a very good analogy considering you likely couldn't sprint to an elite time via luck or favorable conditions. The golfer incapable of hitting long drives consistently that pokes one out there on occasion rarely does it without help. I don't believe the guy's claims of averaging better than PGA stats.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Lihu

To add to this, "1% of all sprinters" bit, only 1% of all people can run track varsity in high school and only 1% to 2% of them can run in college with some potential for 9.9s times. Not a large number, less than a few hundred athletes around the world can do it or have done it?

However, I think driving the ball 300 yards is not really like running a 9.9 100m (The record for 100m is something like 9.58 by U. Bolt, and the record for drives is 550 yards by M. Dobbin), it might be more like breaking 10.2 (which a lot more people can do). That is still pretty good, but possible by many more people.

I agree that hitting a ball 300 is nowhere near 9.9s.  But hitting a 3i 255 yards regularly (the example I was going for) is much closer to that level of elite ability.  And remember the average drive he was claiming was in the 320-340 range, which is also significantly greater than 300.

For full disclosure, I was originally going to amend my post to read a 10.4s 100m, but had already left for work and couldn't edit by the time I got to a computer.  Besides, I was simply going for an illustration that would relate to a fellow sprinter, so I figured the finer details wouldn't matter too much.

I'm 14, 5'2" no idea how I get my power 62*-75 56*-105 52*-115 47*-130 Pw-140 9- 150 8-160 7-170 6- 180 5- 190 4-200 4h-215 3w-230(4inches short for accuracy...gonna change) Driver-280(not consistent)

Note: This thread is 988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!