IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My only point is that being big does not equal able to hit 315 yards. Having really good feel has much more to do with distance than size.

That being said, I'm glad you're posting again.

I think for the most part we are agreeing on that, my only point is I think with the same mechanics it makes it easier.  Hence while there is people of all sizes on Long driving, the average guy does seem above average size.

But besides all of that thank you glad to be back

klarkus, If they are down the middle, I bet many would trade distance for accuracy. My distances were just like yours a few months ago. You'll get longer with confidence and muscle memory.

My irons are very straight and I don't remember the last time I did a 3 putt lol

Saying that my driver has always had a bad fade sometimes slice. I am working on it and now that I have a new driver it goes further and is easier to hit. Just need to work on the fade/slice. If I aim slightly left my driver starts left but ends up in the middle of the fairway. I just lose 20+ yards because of this lol.

Klarkus, try standing more upright in your driver swing. I almost stand completely upright. I hit longer and have a nice draw.

Callaway X-Hot Driver

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 3,4,&5 Hybrids

Callaway FT I-Brid Irons and Wedges

Odyssey Two Ball Putter

• Administrator

Klarkus, try standing more upright in your driver swing. I almost stand completely upright. I hit longer and have a nice draw.

Or, rather than do that, look at this thread: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Check out Paul Runyan v. Sam Snead, Corey Pavin at Shinnecock, Justin Leonard, John Cook, Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, Steve Stricker, .... short game, short game, short game, .... the distance will come if you can give up being a control freak, fear of a mistake .. Seve had it right, "I hit it, I find it, I hit it again," or something like that .... in golf sometimes the harder you try, the worse it can be .. I know, counter-intuitive ...  Dave Stockton was never a long hitter, either, but 'man could he putt ... See a trend here? Great chippers, pitchers, and putters.

• Administrator

Check out Paul Runyan v. Sam Snead, Corey Pavin at Shinnecock, Justin Leonard, John Cook, Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, Steve Stricker, .... short game, short game, short game, .... the distance will come if you can give up being a control freak, fear of a mistake .. Seve had it right, "I hit it, I find it, I hit it again," or something like that .... in golf sometimes the harder you try, the worse it can be .. I know, counter-intuitive ...  Dave Stockton was never a long hitter, either, but 'man could he putt ... See a trend here? Great chippers, pitchers, and putters.

There's really no trend. You named major winners spanning decades and your list isn't that long. Two things remain true:

1. Distance is an advantage.
  2. The long game matters more than the short game.

P.S. John Cook? Steve Stricker? Never won majors. Tiger alone has won more than the short hitters on your list.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Check out Paul Runyan v. Sam Snead, Corey Pavin at Shinnecock, Justin Leonard, John Cook, Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, Steve Stricker, .... short game, short game, short game, .... the distance will come if you can give up being a control freak, fear of a mistake .. Seve had it right, "I hit it, I find it, I hit it again," or something like that .... in golf sometimes the harder you try, the worse it can be .. I know, counter-intuitive ...  Dave Stockton was never a long hitter, either, but 'man could he putt ... See a trend here? Great chippers, pitchers, and putters.

The guy in your avatar pic doesn't hit it short ;-) Yes all the guys you mentioned have good short games but they also were awesome ball strikers in their prime.  Ben Crenshaw's putting might be similar to what it was in his prime but his ball striking sure isn't.  Same goes for Justin Leonard.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Or, rather than do that, look at this thread: ​  .

That is the main thing I do wrong in a bad swing...look down. Main reason is my stupid glasses. When I take a few practice swings feels great but during the last one my glasses slip down a tad and I forget to push them up because I don't want to regrip. I know as soon as i've hit a bad shot this is the main reason lol

I reckon I do lean over a tad too much with the driver...every other club my posture is pretty tight.

• Administrator

That is the main thing I do wrong in a bad swing...look down. Main reason is my stupid glasses.

I really suggest you read that thread. "Chin up" is bad advice. Your glasses probably HELP you to make a better swing than you realize…

That is the main thing I do wrong in a bad swing...look down. Main reason is my stupid glasses.

Yes suggest you read the thread, won't find too many hall of famers with their "chin up", leads to a lot of bad stuff.  If you have any questions about posture, please post it in that thread :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Florida carry yardages, most of the bermuda grassed courses i play dont give any roll so its pretty easy to get yardages dialed in...

D 45.25"       260

3w 43.00"     240

2h 41.50"     222

22*h 40.50"  205

5i 24* 38.00"187

6i  28*          172

7i  32*          157

8i  37*          145

9i  42*          133

47 35.50"     120

52 35.25"     104

57 35.00"      88

62 34.75"      72

*my 5i is juiced +2*, my 6i is +1*, and my 9i is -1* weaker than they came std. This makes my iron gaps a lil bigger, but allows me to carry a 62* instead of a 4i

Yes suggest you read the thread, won't find too many hall of famers with their "chin up", leads to a lot of bad stuff.  If you have any questions about posture, please post it in that thread

Looking back it's funny how many people always told me I was all wrong by having my eye line where you guys say is correct. Good thing I was stubborn enough to always totally ignore them.

One guy suggested I play without glasses because he thought that was the reason I did it. I told him I do exactly the same thing whether I have glasses on or not because I can hit the ball better that way, and it had nothing to do with the glasses.

Really funny part was that few of those wannabe coaches trying to give me unwanted advice could even hit the ball as well as I did in the first place. (Probably why I ignored them).

Driver: 290+
3W: 270
3H: 245
4i: 220
5i: 210

6i: 200

7i: 190
8i: 175
9i: 160
PW: 150
50*: 135
56*: 120
60*: 100

*these are total, not carry. i can/will answer any questions (no, i'm not lying...these are real distances)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Driver: 290+

3W: 270

3H: 245

4i: 220

5i: 210

6i: 200

7i: 190

8i: 175

9i: 160

PW: 150

50*: 135

56*: 120

60*: 100

*these are total, not carry. i can/will answer any questions (no, i'm not lying...these are real distances)

When do you go on tour?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

When do you go on tour?

I have amateur events on schedule for the spring/summer. I've put in a lot of work in my game this year so, I'm hoping for good results. Thanks for asking. If it was a sarcastic remark...that's cool too. I know it's the internet is full of liars and whatnot, but I play off the back at every course and feel free to look up my GHIN 1194646.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I have amateur events on schedule for the spring/summer. I've put in a lot of work in my game this year so, I'm hoping for good results. Thanks for asking. If it was a sarcastic remark...that's cool too. I know it's the internet is full of liars and whatnot, but I play off the back at every course and feel free to look up my GHIN 1194646.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR GHIN. The ability to confirm a low handicap with long distances makes me believe you! Good luck in your golf and tournaments :)

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!