IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 1006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im 5"5 130 pounds and have been considered a long hitter since i started as a kid (am 22 now). my average drives: 300 yards, 320 on a good shot. starting at Pw: 140 yards, and add on 10 for every club you go down. people i golf with are always surprised to see a small guy who looks 15, hitting 300 consistently on the course (with at least 60-70% accuracy onto the fairway). my problem is that i tend to fade my drives and long irons, when i swing a long iron and look at my divot the divot isnt pointing to the green, but about 30 degrees to the left of the green. (if that makes sense) i know thats a fade swing but even when i dont want to fade the ball, it just happens. anybody reside in calgary ab? just found this forum looking up the average driving distance of rickie fowler

im 5"5 130 pounds and have been considered a long hitter since i started as a kid (am 22 now). my average drives: 300 yards, 320 on a good shot. starting at Pw: 140 yards, and add on 10 for every club you go down. people i golf with are always surprised to see a small guy who looks 15, hitting 300 consistently on the course (with at least 60-70% accuracy onto the fairway). my problem is that i tend to fade my drives and long irons, when i swing a long iron and look at my divot the divot isnt pointing to the green, but about 30 degrees to the left of the green. (if that makes sense) i know thats a fade swing but even when i dont want to fade the ball, it just happens. anybody reside in calgary ab? just found this forum looking up the average driving distance of rickie fowler

Welcome to TST. :-) Look forward to your video.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

im 5"5 130 pounds and have been considered a long hitter since i started as a kid (am 22 now). my average drives: 300 yards, 320 on a good shot. starting at Pw: 140 yards, and add on 10 for every club you go down. people i golf with are always surprised to see a small guy who looks 15, hitting 300 consistently on the course (with at least 60-70% accuracy onto the fairway). my problem is that i tend to fade my drives and long irons, when i swing a long iron and look at my divot the divot isnt pointing to the green, but about 30 degrees to the left of the green. (if that makes sense) i know thats a fade swing but even when i dont want to fade the ball, it just happens.

anybody reside in calgary ab? just found this forum looking up the average driving distance of rickie fowler

If you fade your drives 300 yards and hit the fairway the majority of the time that is pretty impressive.  You have good hips I'm sure.  Are your irons fitted?  I had wonky divots and they said that my clubs were not fitted and I was hitting the toe on the ground first every single time.

im 5"5 130 pounds and have been considered a long hitter since i started as a kid (am 22 now). my average drives: 300 yards, 320 on a good shot. starting at Pw: 140 yards, and add on 10 for every club you go down. people i golf with are always surprised to see a small guy who looks 15, hitting 300 consistently on the course (with at least 60-70% accuracy onto the fairway). my problem is that i tend to fade my drives and long irons, when i swing a long iron and look at my divot the divot isnt pointing to the green, but about 30 degrees to the left of the green. (if that makes sense) i know thats a fade swing but even when i dont want to fade the ball, it just happens.

anybody reside in calgary ab? just found this forum looking up the average driving distance of rickie fowler

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see your swing up soon.

On taking divots, read up on this thread, http://thesandtrap.com/t/53952/divots. You will find divots don't give you much information .

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I didn't state that I swing the club 135mph today.  In high school, yes I did.  I did break a lot of clubs and have considerable back problems.  I was 6'1 about 160 pounds.  The change in technology has allowed me to have a slower swing and hit the ball further.  At some point I will go to a simulator and do a screenshot or something.  In simulator I tend to hit the driver further than in real life.  I would say relative to my driver my iron distances are the real point of wow factor.  Do any of you live in Portland, Oregon area?

I didn't state that I swing the club 135mph today.  In high school, yes I did.  I did break a lot of clubs and have considerable back problems.  I was 6'1 about 160 pounds.  The change in technology has allowed me to have a slower swing and hit the ball further.  At some point I will go to a simulator and do a screenshot or something.  In simulator I tend to hit the driver further than in real life.  I would say relative to my driver my iron distances are the real point of wow factor.  Do any of you live in Portland, Oregon area?

Hey, send a screenshot of your swings. My reputation is riding on a thread for speaking up for you. B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My driver is typically 225-240, 3 wood is usually 210-220, 3 hybrid is a consistent 200 club. Starting with the 4 iron (TaylorMde Burner Plus) I hit 180 and each club going down to the gap wedge is a 10 yd gap. Full 54 degree wedge is 65-70 and full 58 degree wedge is 50-55 yds.

60 - 60 56 - 80 52 - 110 P - 130 9 - 150 8 - 160 7 - 170 6 - 180 5 - 195 5h - 210 5w - 220 3w - 230 D - 230+ I spent a lot of time working on my distances leading up to summer so know I have pretty uniform gaps between all my clubs. However all that is changing this week as I have new bats on the way so will have to start again with working my distances out. But I will say that even as a high handicapper knowing my club distances has been invaluable. Regards Mailman

Mailman

I know someone who insists he hits his 56 degree wedge some 140 yards but I keep telling him it's because hes hitting off a mat and the club is sliding or bouncing into the ball and the lead edge is hitting just under the equator( you can hear him hit the mat first then ball) of the ball giving him a false sense of distance, when he happened to hit the ball first the ball only went about 80 yards but he dismissed it as a mishit,  I'm like 99.9% sure I'm on the money because he does not possess even a remote chance of swinging that hard what do you guys think?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I know someone who insists he hits his 56 degree wedge some 140 yards but I keep telling him it's because hes hitting off a mat and the club is sliding or bouncing into the ball and the lead edge is hitting just under the equator( you can hear him hit the mat first then ball) of the ball giving him a false sense of distance, when he happened to hit the ball first the ball only went about 80 yards but he dismissed it as a mishit,  I'm like 99.9% sure I'm on the money because he does not possess even a remote chance of swinging that hard what do you guys think?

If the flight is low then you're right. If his ball goes 150 feet up in the air he's right.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'm not sure its that simple,

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I'd say he is going to hit it 200 yards, not 225. Your data says 290 or averaging 200. So odds are the latter. No reason to think he is going to on the high average. Another way to look at it is that, at leadt for me, I have never met anyone who can average 290 30% of the time. I've never played with anybody who can hit the ball 290 and haven't even seen anybody other than myself do it, and when I do it such involves an elevated tee or a bounce off a cart path. At the same time, people who frequent this group aren't your average golfers either, so just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. But to change sides yet once stain, I can type that I average 290 quite well.

I'd say he is going to hit it 200 yards, not 225. Your data says 290 or averaging 200. So odds are the latter. No reason to think he is going to on the high average.

Another way to look at it is that, at leadt for me, I have never met anyone who can average 290 30% of the time. I've never played with anybody who can hit the ball 290 and haven't even seen anybody other than myself do it, and when I do it such involves an elevated tee or a bounce off a cart path. At the same time, people who frequent this group aren't your average golfers either, so just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. But to change sides yet once stain, I can type that I average 290 quite well.

My dad said that he's hitten 300+ yard drives when he played against his boss (CEO of the company) on some Italian golf course. I wasn't there of course so I didn't see it myself :-D

My dad is close to 60 years of age so that's quite good for him I think.

If my dad practiced more with his irons, I think he wold lower his hcp even further down. His short game and putting are quite excellent but he still has these meltdown holes and difficult shots from the rough, it seems.

I'm 60 myself, and I hit a 285 yard drive yesterday. From an elevated tee. And I knew that if I hit a high shot to the right that carried 225 or so, it would land on a downslope that would kick it forward and back to the left. But my drives were in the range of 240-250 average yesterday and that was a very good day for me. So, yeah, it can be done. But averaging a distance is very different from doing it one time or even one day. My average is probably around 230, but I don't keep close track. I wasn't saying anything other than 1) there seem to be claims for distances that rival pro distances and 2) I have never seen, much less played with, anybody at that level. Are they out there? Sure. I made my first eagle by driving a green that had to carry around 280 to the fringe and ended up over the green in the fringe. From what you say, your dad could do it. Don't doubt it at all. And my second point was just a note that it didn't make sense to choose 225 from the data presented.

If my dad practiced more with his irons, I think he wold lower his hcp even further down. His short game and putting are quite excellent but he still has these meltdown holes and difficult shots from the rough, it seems.

Your dad and I sound similar. My long approach shots are very weak. The course I generally play states 5,950 yards, but it feels shorter. Most par 4 holes are such that I am left with wedges from 65 to 110 yards out. My chipping is mire than decent and my putting quite good. I broke 80 there for the first time 5 weeks ago and have since had three more rounds under 80 with a single 84. Low score now at 75. But the Japanese courses have tight fairways either OB areas everywhere. The are concerned about raking in cash and the OB areas speed up play. Nobody looks for lost balls to any real degree. And a large percentage of those OB areas are totally to speed up play. Go 15 yards right of one green and OB. Ball in plain view, no need to hold up play really, but the area adjoins the adjacent fairway. On drives, even on par 3s, OB has a drop zone to move you along where you are playing 4. This hurts on par 3s. So my point is that in spite of the shorter distances, if you can't control your ball, your score can sky rocket quickly. And since I can control my driver, I play driver/wedge and avoid my weak area. Now, these guys who can consistently drive 300+? They could tear this course up if they have tight dispersions. If not, well, they best bring a lot of balls.:-P

I'm not sure its that simple,

Right, if he thins his wedge 140 yards that's pretty undersirable. I don't really understand people who claim to hit wedges that far in a manner inconsistent to the club. :-D On the other hand, I have seen it done. 150 yard 52 degree wedges, but the ball flies into orbit and nearly sticks the green. Those golfers that do it are usually good D1 college players or mini-tour level players. Pretty sure any PGA pro could as well, but not sure they would.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Right, if he thins his wedge 140 yards that's pretty undersirable. I don't really understand people who claim to hit wedges that far in a manner inconsistent to the club. :-D On the other hand, I have seen it done. 150 yard 52 degree wedges, but the ball flies into orbit and nearly sticks the green. Those golfers that do it are usually good D1 college players or mini-tour level players. Pretty sure any PGA pro could as well, but not sure they would.

I recently switched to NS PRO950GH HT shafts and am getting really high trajectories. Whith a solid strike they travel a bit further. I gave a 57 but 85 yards is about all I can get. The first club I can get 140 out of is a 9 iron. The friend should be asked to demonstrated this ability on the course and reminded that he's hitting a wedge and the call should approximate some sort of sticking section when it lands. (I hit a wedge onto a par 3 a while back on a rainy day and we all tracked the ball to what we thought was the green, then lost it. Overcast, rain, well,...... Finally found the ball. Top of the ball was almost level with the green. Talk about buried.)

Note: This thread is 1006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!