IGNORED

Why No Pull/Push Carts?

mako224
Note: This thread is 1417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What I hate is courses that require you to ride but restrict the carts to cart paths only. I think you walk twice as much from the cart to your ball than you would if you walked the course to begin with,

Dont even get me started..... If its going to be cart path only FORCE everyone to walk. Excluding health issues of course

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

What I hate is courses that require you to ride but restrict the carts to cart paths only. I think you walk twice as much from the cart to your ball than you would if you walked the course to begin with,

For some reason every time I play under those conditions all my shots end up as far away from the cart path as possible.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Now THAT'S a slow round. Plus if you are keeping the pace up, you are always carrying a 7,8 & 9 iron to your ball (or any 3 clubs).

I have played in a few tournaments where we had to walk. The pace of play guidelines were based on the holes only and did not include the walk between holes. I have never been so tired in my life. We got warned during the round for being behind our time. When we were finished I asked if we were the only ones.. turned out that everyone was behind time. I made mention that they did not account for the mile and a half walk between holes and keeping time was impossible. I am the fastest player I know. If I can't keep time, something is wrong with the time table.

Pace of play should have nothing to do with riding or walking. Most of the courses that have a carts only policy do so for money.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Carts do not speed up play. My group plays in 3 1/2 hrs every sat/sun and we all walk. Slow play is caused by a bunch of factors...walking isn't one of them.

I totally agree. . .but the guys who run the course would probably disagree. Honestly, I don't play that particular course too often. It was just an example of something similar locally that we were discussing.

I do think, if everyone in a group is a good, solid player, and they are all in carts. . .they could save some time vs. walking. But there are so many factors involved--others on the course, whether or not you and your cart buddie are on the same side of the fairway, etc.

• 11 years later...
On 12/7/2008 at 10:42 AM, iacas said:

Two reasons. One's legit, one's not so much.

1) Lots of people with pushcarts drive them everywhere. Right on the fringe or even on the greens. Not cool. 2) Takes away from course revenue.

How is a cart with wheels on the fringe worse with say 25 lbs per wheel if a two wheeled cart divided by about a 3 sq inch contact patch (8-12psi) an issue vs. s human weighiing 200 lbs who is walking which means at a some point in the stride there is 200 lbs on about 6 square inches(one foot in the air for step, weight on toes of trailing foot at 45-40psi?

(Sorry to revive this thread, just saw the original posting date.Don't see delete option)

Edited by topoftheline89

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

A different take on push/pull carts....

I have been playing golf for 52 years.  When I started I tried a pull cart once and hated using it.  I have used a buddy's push cart once and hated it.  I probably walked and played for over 20 of those 52 years and I carried my clubs more often than not.  I don't do that any more due to bad knees and ankles.  But, I have gotten older and have become much more familiar with what it cost to keep golf courses the way most of us golfers prefer them to be...it takes money and lots of it.  So, I don't begrudge golf courses for banning push/pull carts.  Rental cart revenue surely helps pay some of those expenses keeping the course they way we like it to be.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

52 minutes ago, RickK said:

A different take on push/pull carts....

I have been playing golf for 52 years.  When I started I tried a pull cart once and hated using it.  I have used a buddy's push cart once and hated it.  I probably walked and played for over 20 of those 52 years and I carried my clubs more often than not.  I don't do that any more due to bad knees and ankles.  But, I have gotten older and have become much more familiar with what it cost to keep golf courses the way most of us golfers prefer them to be...it takes money and lots of it.  So, I don't begrudge golf courses for banning push/pull carts.  Rental cart revenue surely helps pay some of those expenses keeping the course they way we like it to be.  

So, why not charge for the push carts? That is, unless you bring your own. The local metroparks courses invested a pile of money in a bunch of new Sun Mountain push carts, which have turned out to be very popular! There are more people walking the courses than I have ever seen before! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must lead a "sheltered" golf life, as I don't think I've ever been on a course that didn't specifically allow trollies.

I played a course, or two that didn't allow walking, so in retrospect I guess that would include trollies too. So maybe I have. 

I suppose loss of revenue for a no added cart fee is probably the biggest reason. Chalk it up to greed I guess.

My home course is going with one person to a cart right now. $35 in the AM, $25 in the PM, but those prices include walkers/trollies too. Golfer's choice. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Why No Pull/Push Carts?
On 5/25/2020 at 8:52 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

So, why not charge for the push carts? That is, unless you bring your own. The local metroparks courses invested a pile of money in a bunch of new Sun Mountain push carts, which have turned out to be very popular! There are more people walking the courses than I have ever seen before! 

They don't?  Well, back years ago when I started playing golf, they had those pull trolleys at most public courses and they charged for them.  Cannot tell you about today.  Rarely ever see them, don't look for them.  

Edited by RickK

On 5/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, topoftheline89 said:

How is a cart with wheels on the fringe worse with say 25 lbs per wheel if a two wheeled cart divided by about a 3 sq inch contact patch (8-12psi) an issue vs. s human weighiing 200 lbs who is walking which means at a some point in the stride there is 200 lbs on about 6 square inches(one foot in the air for step, weight on toes of trailing foot at 45-40psi?

(Sorry to revive this thread, just saw the original posting date.Don't see delete option)

And how about a massive mower that is on the green everyday. 

I don’t drive my push cart over the green, but I do drive it over tee boxes if they are in my way.

The only reason is that a lot of them are battery driven and they might spin out on the green doing some damage that way if the user is not careful. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:07 AM, RickK said:

They don't?  Well, back years ago when I started playing golf, they had those pull trolleys at most public courses and they charged for them.  Cannot tell you about today.  Rarely ever see them, don't look for them.  

Yes they still have them and charge some for them. But they are crap and most of the people have their own and many are battery driven. 

Edited by Killa

Torrey allows them and play seemed to speed up during a period when riding carts were not allowed.

Torrey South in particular with elevated greens and a lot of green side bunkers, I can see the 2 - 3 foot area off and around the edge of the greens getting extra wear from all the push/pull cart trafic.  With a push cart and the course setup all the walkers with push carts are funneled into these small pathways as they keep the carts off the green and avoid slowing play down by making trips back to their carts if they leave them back at the fairway.  It's pretty much okay as the Kikuyu grass is so tough, otherwise it would be a problem.

They should just allow and encourage players to just walk the carts right onto the green.

Edited by No Mulligans

On 5/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, topoftheline89 said:

See my post above.  It's about managing foot traffic and not having everyone funneled down the same path.  It's not the cart wheels it's all the footsteps circling the green with the push carts.  Without the hand carts players don't circle the edge of the green.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, RickK said:

Yes, they do. But in your previous post that I quoted, you seemed to imply that only riding cart revenue helped the course. All revenue helps the course. You said you didn't blame courses for banning pull or push carts. You did not specify if they were owned by the golfer or not. FWIW,  if a course did that around here, and I owned my cart, I would no longer play there! So, how does my lack of revenue help that course?

19 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes, they do. But in your previous post that I quoted, you seemed to imply that only riding cart revenue helped the course. All revenue helps the course. You said you didn't blame courses for banning pull or push carts. You did not specify if they were owned by the golfer or not. FWIW,  if a course did that around here, and I owned my cart, I would no longer play there! So, how does my lack of revenue help that course?

From what I have seen in the past few months, there are people trying to get tee times who cannot.  So loss revenue from you is probably being paid by someone who has no problem with carts.  Just guessing, of course.  

Note: This thread is 1417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!