IGNORED

Do You Play for Money?

RMD
Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The standard bet between me & My Man Mike: A Snickers bar.

I bet that's the best damn tasting snickers bar EVER when you win!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

I bet that's the best damn tasting snickers bar EVER when you win!

Got that right!

Amazing how much you'll grind over a 6-footer on the last hole for a damn Snickers bar!

Got that right! Amazing how much you'll grind over a 6-footer on the last hole for a damn Snickers bar!

And I don't want the 75 cents.... I want you to go buy the bloody thing and deliver it to me with the deference appropriate to the ass whuppin' you just got! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Me and my buddy always do 5 bucks for least amount of putts. We recently did our first round with strokes now that he has a handicap and that was also for 5 bucks. I choke a lot but lately have been clutchin' it up which got me tied with his putts last round but choked on the strokes. He always tells me, "Ahh! No better money than Rob's money!" We laugh, I tell him to **** off and we laugh more.

I can't wait to beat his ass this upcoming weekend! I need some gloat in my life, lol.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by David in FL

I've always said, I'd rather win $5 from one of my golf buddies than have you hand me a $100 bill!

No doubt - playing for small stakes is a blast.  Even with a dollar on the line, it's a lot more fun.  It makes everybody focus on the game - like getting sucked into a really good movie vs just sitting in front of the tv texting.

My friends at work and I play for quarters. Greenies (no par required though) on Par 3s, Sandies, skins (individual because I give them each different strokes), etc.......It definitely makes it more fun and with it just being quarters, no one gets their feelings hurt. Hell, I use my winnings to buy them a beer after the round.

I let them lock in their shots per side or adjust on the back.

One guy has taken some money from me just a couple times so he keeps the quarters he wins on his desk like trophies.

Remember that line from the movie 'The Color of Money' where Paul Newman says 'Money won is twice as sweet as money earned'. Yep............

Originally Posted by Pablo68

My friends at work and I play for quarters. Greenies (no par required though) on Par 3s, Sandies, skins (individual because I give them each different strokes), etc.......It definitely makes it more fun and with it just being quarters, no one gets their feelings hurt. Hell, I use my winnings to buy them a beer after the round.

With one of the regular groups I play with, the money won goes in the pot at the 19th hole for drinks and munchies.  It just means that the guys who win during the round don't end up as much out of pocket as the losers, but nobody ever goes home with the winnings, so it's really a win for everyone.  That's why I say if you wager on golf, keep it affordable and keep it between friends and that way no one gets hurt.

In this group of guys (there can be up to 15 or 16 on a given Wednesday - never fewer than 7) we all carried USGA handicaps and strokes were given, but not always right to the number.  We know each other so well that if a guy is struggling he might be given a break, while another one is on a tear and gets reduced a stroke or two.  We play quarter skins, greenies with validation, and usually have a $2.00 round robin match going within each fourball.  It's all good fun and a heavy loser might drop $10.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It depends.  If I play with my family/relatives, always.  If I play with my buddies, maybe for a drink.

When I play with my brother and my parents/uncles/aunts, we play for $5 per hole.

When I play with my brother-in-law we play $20 per STROKE on the front nine and $40 per STROKE on the back nine.  Both he and I are adrenaline junkies.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

It depends.  If I play with my family/relatives, always.  If I play with my buddies, maybe for a drink.

When I play with my brother and my parents/uncles/aunts, we play for $5 per hole.

When I play with my brother-in-law we play $20 per STROKE on the front nine and $40 per STROKE on the back nine.  Both he and I are adrenaline junkies.

$bling$ $bling$ big balla, haha.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

No, not interested, don't want to.

You guys that do like to, no problem, knock youselves out, stop being so pushy about it.  It's really obnoxious.

I've told people no, and they still want to, and then just say, "yes you are" and act the whole round like it's really happening.  I refuse their money at the end of the round and tell them not to be such asses about it next time.

Golf is fun.  I don't need anything else going on.

edit:  just read the thread - betting seems idiotic to me.  I always play against myself, for personal best and scores to get more of those sweet hits.  If an external stimulus is needed as a motivator, I don't really get that.  Apparently that's not the norm.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

No, not interested, don't want to.

You guys that do like to, no problem, knock youselves out, stop being so pushy about it.  It's really obnoxious.

I've told people no, and they still want to, and then just say, "yes you are" and act the whole round like it's really happening.  I refuse their money at the end of the round and tell them not to be such asses about it next time.

Golf is fun.  I don't need anything else going on.

edit:  just read the thread - betting seems idiotic to me.  I always play against myself, for personal best and scores to get more of those sweet hits.  If an external stimulus is needed as a motivator, I don't really get that.  Apparently that's not the norm.

Ironic.

Bill M

There is a group of guys at our club who I studiously avoid. I like to play for money, but these guys are nuts. They have a thing they call "Schedule A", which includes just about every kind of bet you can imagine. I don't know how they manage keep track of it all, as it looks like it requires an accountant. When I do get in their group, I do an ala carte paring of the bets on their "schedule" that I am willing to go along with (which is usually quite a lot by normal standards) and they bitch at me the whole round. They are my friends so I take the ribbing for what it's worth. These guys are all good players under pressure and it is obvious why. They grind out every shot in the 18 holes because every shot can be worth something.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

I do an ala carte paring of the bets on their "schedule" that I am willing to go along with (which is usually quite a lot by normal standards) and they bitch at me the whole round.

so you don't choose to bet their way and they bitch at you the whole time because of it

hey phan52 - maybe I don't understand your comment about 'ironic'.  can you elaborate?  because this is what I'm talking about

Bill - 

Ironic.

I'm not being pushy here, I'm saying that:

"hey - how about we have some wagers on the round?"

"no, I don't bet"

(if they stopped right here, it would be fine - but it doesn't.  That's the comment)  The thread title is "Do you bet"  not "only those that bet can answer comment"

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

so you don't choose to bet their way and they bitch at you the whole time because of it

hey phan52 - maybe I don't understand your comment about 'ironic'.  can you elaborate?  because this is what I'm talking about

I can handle the ribbing because they are my friends. Like I said, I take it for what it's worth. If they were not my friends I would never play with them under the circumstances. If the people who are giving you a hard time are not your friends and  they bug you, why are you playing with them?

Bill M

Not good enough to ever win much more then $1 here and there. But I did play with a nice group of Scottish/English guys for a bit. Certain holes paid close to the pin, or farthest putt, long drive so on. All this was paid into the pot when paying for your round. On the 19th hole all winners would be announced and for the most part put right back in for drinks.

But now that i have come back to the game it is just fun now, so a beer or soda but nothing more, but thats just me.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I can handle the ribbing because they are my friends. Like I said, I take it for what it's worth. If they were not my friends I would never play with them under the circumstances. If the people who are giving you a hard time are not your friends and  they bug you, why are you playing with them?

If it happens chronically, I probably would stop playing with them.  I admit, my position isn't the norm, so I have to allow for that.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!