IGNORED

ProV1's - Enough Already

Note: This thread is 3468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I play MAXFLIs, people who I get paired up with me look down on me, disrespect me, walk on my putting line with utter disdain and talk behind my back. But Pro V1s on the other hand beget me great admiration and respect from the same people. A look of awe and envy when I place the PRO V1 logo visible on the tee is not at all unusual. I get invited for beer, labor day weekend parties and even weddings.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love that hackers play them. I can go in the bush and get them free.

This perfectly sums up my feelings about hackers playing Pro V1s/Pro V1Xs

oh wow this thread is 6 years old

-Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Who buys them new?  I paid $10 for a three pack of them the other day before my golf league championship (clubhouse guy gave me $2 off) and that is the first time I have paid for new golf balls in 5 or 6 years.

You can find ProV1s or any equivalent on the course or buy the found ones cheap if you know where to look.

Since they are a little darker than a newer looking Top Flight they are still in the .49 cent bin at my course if you get there on the right day....then the pawn shop a few towns over sells found golf balls for a quarter a piece...or ProV1s for a dollar....so I load up on the perfect looking ProVs and especially the equivalent balls that the guy doesn't know are pretty much the same thing.

Long story short, I play ProV1s/ProV1Xs and I never pay $4 a ball...and I don't think I know many people that do.

There is a huge difference between the pro v1 and other balls. I bought some pd long balls for a scramble and off the tee they were just as good, but I couldn't get them to check whatsoever. The ball would run 15 feet from 60 yards and my prov1s less than 5. And 10 dollars is cheap for 3, I had to pay a staggering 16 dollars last time I bought a sleeve new, I usually buy a specific brand refurbished prov1

There is a huge difference between the pro v1 and other balls. I bought some pd long balls for a scramble and off the tee they were just as good, but I couldn't get them to check whatsoever. The ball would run 15 feet from 60 yards and my prov1s less than 5. And 10 dollars is cheap for 3, I had to pay a staggering 16 dollars last time I bought a sleeve new, I usually buy a specific brand refurbished prov1

You're comparing apples to oranges here. The prov1 is a ball designed to soon more, and the PD long is meant to spin less by design. You would have to compare the prov1 to the Nike rzn platinum or black to get an accurate comparison. It's like expecting a prov1 to do the same thing as an NXT.

Who buys them new?  I paid $10 for a three pack of them the other day before my golf league championship (clubhouse guy gave me $2 off) and that is the first time I have paid for new golf balls in 5 or 6 years.

You can find ProV1s or any equivalent on the course or buy the found ones cheap if you know where to look.

Since they are a little darker than a newer looking Top Flight they are still in the .49 cent bin at my course if you get there on the right day....then the pawn shop a few towns over sells found golf balls for a quarter a piece...or ProV1s for a dollar....so I load up on the perfect looking ProVs and especially the equivalent balls that the guy doesn't know are pretty much the same thing.

Long story short, I play ProV1s/ProV1Xs and I never pay $4 a ball...and I don't think I know many people that do.

I find them all the time on Craigslist.  Guys got them as presents or won them in an outing.  The going rate is about $30 a dozen.  I have not paid retail for any this year.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You're comparing apples to oranges here. The prov1 is a ball designed to soon more, and the PD long is meant to spin less by design. You would have to compare the prov1 to the Nike rzn platinum or black to get an accurate comparison. It's like expecting a prov1 to do the same thing as an NXT.

Not remotely, I beleive that most other balls that spin more like the rzn and such create spin mainly by perimeter weighting, which creates too much spin with the long clubs. While high quality balls like the prov1 create spin by a soft cover, which creates spin around the greens when you want it.

Not remotely, I beleive that most other balls that spin more like the rzn and such create spin mainly by perimeter weighting, which creates too much spin with the long clubs. While high quality balls like the prov1 create spin by a soft cover, which creates spin around the greens when you want it.

Alright, I'm not going to argue on this since it would be kind of pointless (you appear quite set in your opinion), but I will say that on my previous testing the rzn balls spin less off the tee than prov1's do. This was with the 2014 prov1 and whatever rzn ball was on the market at the time. I actually had not enough soon with the rzn ball off the tee, which caused me to lose distance slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

It is because they hit one and only one great spinning iron and stick it right next to the pin.  They would really benefit more from a mid tier ball with decent spin.

Putter:  Classic Black Platinum 1

Driver:  R1 Stiff flex

3 Wood:  AMP - Regular flex, 15 degrees

3 Hybrid:  Baffler T-Rail - Regular flex, 19 degrees

Irons: :tmade: MC Forged - PW-4

Wedges: :cleve: 588 RTX 2.0 Tour Blade Black Satin - 52.10 and 58.10

Ball:  Pro V1x

I'm not sure what you mean by a soft cover.  I thought most of the top tier golf balls used a Urethane cover.  If Titleist uses a softer cover on the Pro V's, wouldn't the pro's (given their swing speeds) cut and scuff them more than other golf balls in that category?

Joe Paradiso

I swore by prov1's, and posted it. Last week, playing with my hickories and hitting a Wilson duo I was flat no roll stopping it with my niblick(9iron) and it has no grooves at all. Saying ditch the expensive balls.

I'm not sure what you mean by a soft cover.  I thought most of the top tier golf balls used a Urethane cover.  If Titleist uses a softer cover on the Pro V's, wouldn't the pro's (given their swing speeds) cut and scuff them more than other golf balls in that category?

Idk about the rzn but most of the other Nike balls have a firmer cover, and yes the pros do scuff up the titlest. That's why they replace them every 4 holes or every time they hit a wedge. Lower class balls have a firmer cover and are more durable. They also have a worse balance between greenside spin and driver spin. If I had to guess I would say the prov1 has a slightly heavier cover than the prov1x

This perfectly sums up my feelings about hackers playing Pro V1s/Pro V1Xs

oh wow this thread is 6 years old

Yes! This is so true. Love that higher handicaps insist on playing Pro V1s because it means I never have to buy them. :dance:

I'll play a Pro V1 if I find one, but I don't like them very much. It's the only ball that actually spins backwards for me on approach shots and I'm just not used to that yet. I'm sure I could get used to it if I played them consistently, but there's no point, I'm not a pro. Every other ball for me either sticks or has about 5-10 feet of forward roll...I can work with that.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Marketing, and personal egos are a few of the culprits for buying this PV-1 ball for players who probably won't see an improvement using them. I have played them to no advantage, and I even tried that Penta  ball from TM. Played the same with both of them, which was also the way I played with my Bridgestone balls that  were much less expensive.

I think the PV-1 is a good ball, and in the right person's hands gives that person an improved score. To them the extra money is worth it.

On another note, folks who lose a more expensive ball, will most likely spend more time looking for that more expensive ball than a cheaper brand. I have found a few lost ones, and put them into play when ever possible.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!