IGNORED

does a trimmer midsection improve play?

Note: This thread is 5551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could stand to lose 20 lbs in the middle and although I dont feel off balance in full swing, my greens play might suffer from strainingg to lean over a putter. Does anyone here feel it imperative to keep the weight down? for consistent play... I have yet to walk an 18 but plan on it once the weather clear, hopefully thats a start along with better diet.

Trimmer and stronger will definitely improve your play, prevent injury to your back, permit greater stamina throughout the round, etc. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Working on that myself this winter, down 12, targeting 15 more by end of April, expecting it to pay dividends all summer. Pretty much my entire motivation for losing weight and getting back into the shape I used to be in is golf-driven, and so far, so good, but I'll be backsliding bigtime come 5:30 central on Sunday. I walked a lot last summer, and while I wasn't losing weight at the time, I sure felt better.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I personaly don't see how a trimmer waist would help promote a better swing unless it is a huge drop in weight like 100lbs. I myself have been finally getting back into shape and have lost 10lbs and will hopefully loose another 40lbs before July to look like a golfing spartan!! But I don't think it will effect my swing too much.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

Thinking back a few years, this was a debate amoung the Daren Clarke camp. He seemed to spank it solid when he was beefier.

It does seem as if you'd be better off on virtually any endeavor being trimmer....Lord knows I need to be. Injury prevention is a huge benefit.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Thinking back a few years, this was a debate amoung the Daren Clarke camp. He seemed to spank it solid when he was beefier.

The swing doesnt seem to bother me at all with my 20lbs it is the putting that makes me uncomfortable bending over. I put much like arnold palmer crouched over a bit and with the weight hanging directly under my spine it makes me want to get out of position asap. better just lose the gut. My wife will be angry, i was supposed to lose it for our wedding 8 years ago, but instead I wait to lose it for golf.

My wife is far from angry, whatever the motivation, plus she knows I'm happier when my golf is in a happy place. Like I said, I believe trimmer AND stronger --- strengthening your "core" will have great benefits. Even just trimmer, if you're talking 20 lbs. and taking it off the middle will pay dividends in endurance, etc. and if you're walking the course, your legs get stronger, may help your swing, etc. Just sending some encouragement. Don't believe carrying a bunch of extra weight is good for your golf, not true.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I know being in shape helps my game. I gained 40 lbs from the time I graduated college until 2 summers ago. I noticed a definite loss of distance. I was 20 yards shorter with driver and at least a full club shorter with my irons. Last year, I did Nutrisystem and bought a bowflex. I dropped 30 lbs and gained my distance back. I think it actually has less to do with the trim midsection, and more to do with the strength and flexibilty. Look at John Daly. Very overwheight but still extremely limber. My problem was that I wasn't still limber with the extra weight.

One of the guys in my local league always jokes about "all the flat-bellies knocking it past him". That probably has more to due with age though since he's in his late 60s.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

yes, rotation, stamina, the back nine endurance will allow you to make better decisions and score, also, walking 18 holes is great way to enjoy your round and get some exercise even if you use a pull cart.

try pilates beginner mat work with Ana Cabana for building the core muscles and adding flexibility.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

A 7 handicapper i´ve played regularly with for the last 5 years lost over 35 pounds last year. Got fit. Stronger, leaner... and has not shot under 90 since !!!!

He has had to re-learn the swing completely from zero.

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

He'll live longer, so he'll have plenty of time to get his swing where he wants it to be!

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I believe the excess weight around my midsection makes it harder for me to get to the ball from the inside.
Additionally I think my position at address is not good, because my arms are not falling down freely, but kinda touch my belly.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

that's a great question. I lost about 40 lbs in the first few months of last year and have managed to keep it off since. Shortly after my handicap started to drop pretty significantly, think I dropped 4 shots in just under 3 months. I don't think there is a correlation, but stamina at the end of the round is obviously going to be better.

Let's be clear, I didn't drop 4 shots because I had lost weight, I made a concerted effort to practise more and work harder on my golf game and it paid off.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I don't know if it will improve your swing but it will definitely change it (requiring some adjustments)...

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Losing weight is never a bad idea (well....) but make sure you do plyometric exercises to keep your balance in check. That could be a major factor in adjusting to your "new" swing.

Driver: Adams 9015 proto (ozik matrix shaft)
3w: TM V-Steel 15* grafalloy blue (42 inches)
3-pw: Miura Tournament Blades w/ rifle 5.5
wedges: 588 Clevelands 47* 51* 56*
putter: Scotty Cameron oil can (97)

This is a big yes. You will be more flexible, stronger per pound and able to turn more not only because of the improved flexibility but because you will lose weight in your chest area and be able to generate better shoulder rotation. You don't need to be Tiger like in your conditioning but staying relatively tight will change your game immensely.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

Will a trimmer midsection improve more than just play? make you happier, lighter, healthier. Those 3 things will help your play.

Look at CStadler. not in great shape, hit lots of golf balls to get his hands to work around his stomach Fast, and has been having a great career.
DDuval. #1 in the world and decided to get fit but had other demons in his locker. It wasn't the fitness that made him lose his top spot.

JRollins lost 30lbs. Maybe he just made the switch to light beer. Whatever it is that's helping him, I hope it sticks around.

We always hear about players getting in shape. I can't think of any players who got in worse shape and still competed. Jack at the '86 masters wasn't in peak shape...physically.

Note: This thread is 5551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!