IGNORED

Groove Sharpening

Note: This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are a few good lessons over at GolfWorks . There are also lots of good videos on YouTube .

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Thanks,  looking forward to the read.

Your knowledge of the force is greater than mine....for now.   new to the game, new to the site.

I checked into those and found them helpful.  Does re edging the grooves cause the club faces to rust?

Crushalot

Yes and no. It depends how much material you remove. I sharpened some old Nike wedges and they didn't rust, but they had a bit thicker chrome than most wedges. Chrome is only 0.005 inches or so. If you remove more material than that, you'll expose the carbon steel and it will rust unless you take really good care of it.

Much of a club's feels as actually due to the chroming process. Mizuno uses a nickel plating and thus their clubs are very soft. That's why Titleist irons with the same material type feel more 'clicky'. Titleist uses chrome, Mizuno uses nickel. The type and thickness of the chrome drastically changes the feel of a club. The softest coating possible is no coating. That's why you'll see a lot of wedges in an oxide or raw finish; it makes them feel softer.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I have older A3OS irons/wedges and a no name flop wedge...what kind of grooves do I have? I tried a google search and a search on Adams' website to no avail.

:)

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

So I had a wild hair and thought to see if my irons/wedges conformed to the new USGA rules. So ... It looks like I have to ditch my 6h (boxer) ... man....

Informational Club Database
The ATR (Additional Testing Required) indicator in the "Meets 2010 Groove Rules" column signifies that, based on the samples submitted, there was insufficient information available to provide a definitive answer regarding the status of the club or set of clubs relative to the New Groove Rules. As a result, the player assumes the risk that his club or set of clubs does/do not comply if the player chooses to carry the club or set of clubs when the Condition of Competition requiring conformance to the New Groove Rules is in effect, unless the player has the individual club or set of clubs tested and they are found to meet the New Groove Rules.
Club Type: Irons and Wedges
Manufacturer Product Name Loft Club # Markings Meets Pre-2010
Rules of
Golf
Meets 2010
Groove
Rules
Adams Golf Idea a3 Boxer 6 View Markings YES NO
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 3 View Markings YES YES
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 4 View Markings YES YES
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 5 View Markings YES YES
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 6 View Markings YES YES
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 7 View Markings YES ATR
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 8 View Markings YES YES
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS 9 View Markings YES YES
Adams Golf Idea a3 OS PW View Markings YES YES

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

Originally Posted by Mike Mossey

Wow i am amazed at the negative reaction to a groove sharpener.

I have played golf for 44 years and i never saw anyone checking the legality of golf clubs.

I needed a new set of wedges, i have 4 because the grooves were bent and knocked about, i was shocked to find out that i would spend $430 on these, but the only thing no good was the grooves.

I looked around and found (www.groovesharpener.net) last year, i purchased one of their groovers

it has a wedge shaped end that stops you digging to deep it made my old wedges good enough to not need the new ones, my wifes happy too she got a new dress from the saving of not buying new wedges.

Maybe most of these guys on here can afford new wedges every now and again.

I would much prefer keeping my old wedges up to scratch and have a happy wife taboot.

My name is Mike this is my first post, good golfing everybody.

excellent first post man

we will miss you, lol

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

• 1 month later...

When I find my "ultimate" wedges... I am sticking with them. The groove sharpener keeps em fresh? so be it. I am not looking to dig a trench. :)

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about purchasing the X6 Groove Sharpener, but have some concerns about groove sharpening in general.

Have any of you had issues with rusting after sharpening your grooves? I would think that this tool would take off the finish inside the grooves and cause some rust problems.

Specifically with the Cleveland Black Pearl/Gun metal finish wedges, which are already prone to rusting. I have 2 of these wedges and while mine are still in good condition/rust free after 6 years I'm concerned that groove sharpening would really open these wedges up for rust.

I actually just bought a cool tool off ebay called the groove sharpener it allows you to do v grooves or square grooves, it was like 20 bucks and has a handle like a screwdriver pretty handy tool!

• 3 weeks later...

So I purchased the X6 Groove tool.

I'm not sure this thing is legal or perhaps I over did it? I only used it on one of my wedges and took it to the range. This wedge is now grabbing the ball so much that it's taking pieces of the cover off the ball. Granted these are old range balls, but still...wow, never had a club do that.

Never found groove sharpening to work - tried it with Scratch - nada

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

if you by a sharpener that is designed to sharpen/reshape/clean grooves to USGA standards then it will never take those grooves past the maximum limit allowed

Unless you are determined to cheat and you mis-use the tool to seriously guage out the grooves past their limit,..in which case shame on you,..

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by carpediem4300

if you by a sharpener that is designed to sharpen/reshape/clean grooves to USGA standards then it will never take those grooves past the maximum limit allowed

Unless you are determined to cheat and you mis-use the tool to seriously guage out the grooves past their limit,..in which case shame on you,..

I have to disagree with this.  None of these tools limit the depth or side to side motion of the cutting edge so there is nothing stopping you from making grooves wider or deeper than the rules require.  This is even more true for post 2010 grooves if they have a rounded shoulder.  I don't see how any of these tools will recreate the correct rounded shoulder after it's been flattened with use.   I personally don't have any problem with people using these tools, but assuming you're getting perfectly legal grooves is a mistake.

My irons are about 4 years old and definitely don't generate anything close to the spin I used to get.  I ordered the x6 tool from http://www.par70.com/ last weekend and it arrived quickly.  Seems like a nicely made tool with U and V cutters.  When I started on my clubs, the grooves on my wedges were so flattened that the U (I have a old U groove irons) shaped cutter wouldn't even pass through the groove at all.  After a few light passes (w/ motor oil) the tool passed nicely down the groove so it does seem to work well.  I haven't tried them on the course yet but I expect a big improvement.  FYI I don't play competition golf at all so I don't care if they're a little out of spec.

Besides, if this tool lets me spend my $$$ on other things instead of new irons this year I'll be very pleased.  Assuming this to be true, I promptly went out and bought a RocketBallz high loft 3 wood...

USGA-Wedge-Golf-Grove.jpg

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

• 5 months later...
No way, most of those tools gouge out the grooves.. simple wooden tee works in cleaning the grooves along with a brass brush. I've seen clubs from people who do this, some places won't even resell them.

Does anyone know of a good groove sharpener? Do they make them for specific makes?

:titleist: 913 D3 9.5* Diamana 72g X-flex neutral

:titleist: 913 FD 15* Diamana 82g X-flex neutral

:titleist: AP2 712 3-PW S-300

:vokey:51-08/ 55-11/ 59-08 equal length shaft

:cameron: Select Newport 2

Typically sold for U or V grooves. I have a couple and they are similar. I use both ends, the U side to sharpen and the V side on the course to clean clubs.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!