juanrjackson

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

222 posts / 55083 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

isnt it a hassle to keep taking off and putting on the iron covers? i barely have the patience to fiddle with the covers on my woods and hybrids... heck during a round i usually put the hybrid covers in my bag pockets... id be too frustrated with iron covers... lol

wow. you guys are pretty sensitive. You guys can keep your iron covers...I'm really not that worried about it.

Hurt our feelings?

I just can't believe the absurdity of your statements. Let's see? Anybody who uses iron covers is a hacker who can't hit a ball. Is that right? I'm guessing you you are trying to be popular with the "low handicap crowd", is that right?

How did you not pick up the reason of removing clatter?

I don't mind it.

I also don't mind nicks and dings on my irons.

I don't mind it.

The point was never to get you to use them, but to explain why we use them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

let's face it -- we're on the internet posting on a freaking GOLF FORUM.

Guilty as charged.....I'm a 40 year old married guy.....what's your excuse?????

I don't use them, it protects the head too much when I fire the gap wedge down the cart path after a 70 yard fattie.

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are!

Seriously though guys, I don't think people are trying to be rude about iron covers, its just that if you spend much time around golf you just realize certain things are just kinda goofy. I mean use your iron covers there's certainly nothing wrong with them. Just like there is nothing wrong with wearing a plaid button up shirt and brown high water slacks to high school. Its just chances are with either one your not gonna date the prom queen. You know what I am saying? :-B

Yeah, but there are not any prom queens on my golf course.

I take notice of what people wear, those coming in jeans and college sweater looks kinda weird, but I don't judge them for it. I like people not following every single rule in this game. By that I don't mean the golf rules, but the "rules" of clothing, equipment etc. All I expect from people is to be polite, not rave around on the course, follow the general behaviour etiquette of golf. They can wear any clothes and use any equipment they want. I can't help looking at them and wondering if I should give some heads up, but I don't make fun of them or make a point of it.

If I ever reach single digit hcp I'll play a round in some tournament with other good players and wear something way out of the ordinary just for the hell of it. I'll even get a ball retriever, my irons are probably covered already.

This is kinda like the discussion about players like John Daly and Boo Weekley. They don't fit in the game of golf in matters of behaviour and clothing, but they still play in the PGA tour. I root for these players. Not that I support hitting a tee shot off a beer can or raving around like Daly did on some occasions, but not being as streamline shaped like Love III give the game some fresh air.

If anything, iron covers give me some attention if my play doesn't.

I rodered some neoprene iron cover on ebay. Like $5 total with shipping. I used them for 1 round and got fed up with putting them on and off. I guess I don't care if you have them, but too much trouble for no real reward. Besides it hides my new Blue paintfill on my Clevelands.

I played with a German guy a couple of weeks ago, and he had every single club in his bag covered, from driver to putter. When he took a shot with an iron, he would get the club out, take off the cover and stuff it in his back pocket, take the shot, clean the club then re-cover it.

I usually clean the club every 2 or 3 shots, but I never use head covers, not for irons or even woods.

I played with a German guy a couple of weeks ago, and he had every single club in his bag covered, from driver to putter. When he took a shot with an iron, he would get the club out, take off the cover and stuff it in his back pocket, take the shot, clean the club then re-cover it.-

Exactly the same way I do, and beside what some think, it doesn't slow down my play. I move when I can and get ready as soon as I can, it's not the time spent pondering over a shot that slow down play. I put the cover into the pocket before I'm back over the ball and taking my adress position.

After the shot I clean the club, put the cover back on and put it into the bag. In this time, the next player has usually gotten up to his ball and getting ready to take the shot. I want my club to be ready when I pick it up, by cleaning it after every shot, I know that I don't have to worry about picking up a club with dirt in the grooves.

Wow. I've never thought to judge people on weather they have Iron covers and ball retrievers. I Golf with two guys whom both have Iron covers. One's a scratch handicap and the other is a 6. I don't see them scuffing it across the course or shanking it into the water.
Huh, I guess I need to worry about what others think I'm thinking of them. Other wise they should feel meaningless.

Now, I know my next X-Mas gift to all my Golfing buddies.......HEAD COVERS!

C'mon people. We use these pieces of Metal to whack things with. They hit turf, rocks, sand, oh and those little white chunks of plastic.

I don't mind the noise, but when I walk I rest my arm on the top of my bag and my hand stops the clinking. I'm fairly sure that pros and caddies know whats best for their equipment. I really wouldn't want to deal with pulling it off, keeping it somewhere, putting it on, especially with the pros that pull 3 irons before they make their final selection.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • @ what some of the people have posted as their dreams. I respect that. I was thinking about this thread earlier today. I knew I'd get backlash when I posted it and I also thought it would be a fun little project, where people could watch my progress. Maybe I just haven't positioned it as such but 90% of the replies to this thread have been useless, people telling me to quit, people telling me im delusional, people telling me all kinds of shit. Have I really received any value from this? Not really. There was a few posts at the start that helped me but after that I've got nothing from it.  I don't need people telling me I won't make it, or that I don't have the talent or how HARD it is or how good the players are. Look, I've watched pro the Canadian Open and Mackenzie Tour events + lesser pro events (club pros). I know what they can do, I know I'm not close but I know I will make it. I watched the players on the Mackenzie Tour hit their long irons 245 yards uphill into the wind on a par 3, my jaw dropped. I've seen how good they are. I'm not going out there, shooting 1 under and going well I think I can go pro soon. You guys can shut the f*** up about it.  Everyone here knows some guy who didn't make it, "I know a guy who tried, he was really good but didn't make it." It's always some guy. My response? I don't give a f*** if some guy you know didn't make it. I will. These posts are useless.  Ever heard of the phrase you are the product of the people you associate with? Has associating with this forum made me a better player? Not really. I get close to 0 value here and I say close to 0 because some people have helped me, which I appreciate. Right now. I don't see the point in continuing this but I'm willing to give it one more shot however if people just want to talk shit and tell me shit I already know, as if they are being helpful and insightful. Then I'm out. Maybe you can prove me otherwise and I'm the one that led this thread down the path that it went. Maybe I should post more about golf and let the naysayers go f*** themselves. Anyway, with that said let me give you an update.  _________________ I've been reflecting on my good rounds last year and what I was working on specifically during the time I shot those scores. Here's a break-down of the stand-out rounds. 71 - When I shot this, I know I was working on starting the swing with the lower body and I was also working on keeping the head relatively still. I shot this right after going to watch a Mackenzie Tour event. The main thing I noticed during the event was how stable their bodies were during the swing. Their heads didn't really move much (vertically) and it looked solid.  I think before we go further, I should clarify what I mean when I say their bodies were solid. They swung around themselves, they didn't sway, they stayed in one spot and pivoted around their bodies to hit the ball. Whereas before with myself I would sway thinking it would give me leverage but all it does it ruin your shotmaking. Think about the golf swing, if you're just using the arms and you aren't really rotating at all. There's no power because you're not turning around the ball. So when I got back I was inspired to work on that. I also was working on a one-piece takeaway, maintaining the triangle formed between the arms and the body for as long as possible and swinging on an upright plane. 69 - I never drove the ball better during this time, it was the main reason I shot what I did. What I was working on at this time was again stability (stance) and maintaining the triangle between the arms and body for as long as possible in the backswing without feeling stiff. 72 - Again, a similar theme of keeping the head still and I was really working on starting the downswing with my lower body. I don't think it's a coincidence that my best rounds had similar thoughts. I should also note that during these rounds I was experimenting with letting my right foot lift a little off the ground in the backswing, which gave me more leverage on my longer irons. I could really get "behind" the ball when I did this. Here's a few swings from around the times when I shot the above scores. If you notice, my body is relatively still during these swings. I don't think this a very complicated thing to answer why having less unnecessary motion is good. There's a famous painter Henri Matisse who said in regards to painting that "Everything that is not useful in the picture is, it follows, harmful. A work of art must be harmonious in its entirety: any superfluous detail would replace some other essential detail in the mind of the spectator." I agree with Matisse, I also love that quote in regards to the golf swing. Removing unnecessary motions to create one, smooth, poetic swing that is in harmony.  You should also notice that in my pre-shot routine, I was taking the club back and forth, this is where I was focusing on maintaining the triangle. The reason this helped me with ball striking was that it makes sure that I make a full shoulder turn and I don't bring the club back too shallow. (which is a problem of mine). I noticed I played better when my swing plane was more upright and less shallow, and this helped me stay connected + relatively upright. I also think it just helps with consistency, the more sturdy and stable you are in the swing, the more consistent. At least that's what I found. Starting the downswing with the lower body, I knew I had an over - the - top action in my swing. I think when I worked on starting with the lower body and rotation of the hips, it made it harder to come over the top. I was able to stop my right shoulder from taking over and wanting to chop at the ball but this was I think a bandaid solution to a bigger problem. Which is something I will be working a lot on this year. Watch this swing. See something weird in the downswing? Look at my head. It dips and as one pro said, it looks like I'm trying to keep my head down. And it's 100% true. Remember the old guy that took me under my wing when I was younger that I talked about in a previous post? He told me to keep my head down. He drilled it into me. And I think that's why I come over - the - top. I'm so focused on the damn ball that I drop my head and when my head drops, I can't really drop the club onto a proper line. I have to come over the top to re-route the club onto the back of the ball.  I remember a long time ago, when I was like 16 or 17 that I had considerably better ball striking when I allowed myself to not worry about "watching" the ball. I also remember that my ball striking was a lot better when I swung with my eyes closed, I felt "free" and that I was able to swing through the ball and not at it. Watch Sams swing here, notice how he isn't trying to keep his eye on the ball and also notice how his head doesn't move and there is no big dip. He's able to get the lowerbody into the swing. Now watch this video of me. Look at my downswing motion. It's f***ing terrible. It looks like I'm chopping wood and I think it's because I'm trying to keep my eye on the ball. My head doesn't move much laterally but vertically it dips like crazy and when I dip it like that, I can't get my lowerbody into the shot and I screw myself in consistency and accuracy. It's a very cramped motion.  I need to go to range and work this motion out more but that's one major change I am making to my swing. I'm removing the over - the -top motion and allowing my head to be free. I'm not going to worry about what my head does, I'm just going to worry about swinging through the ball and using the lower body. I definitely don't think I use my lower body enough which is robbing me of power and consistency and as far as my knowledge is concerned, this stems from trying to watch the ball. Now, doesn't this sound contradictory? I'm allowing my head to move, but I kept it still last year and shot my best rounds?  I think keeping the head still, helps me with not swaying but I'm still putting too much attention on the ball and it's causing my over the top motion. It's sort of hard to explain but I'm thinking of swinging around my head, the head doesn't really matter but it shouldn't move like crazy because then you're changing all of the angles you started with at address. By freeing my head, I think I will start to cure my dipping problem, combined with focusing a lot on the lower body to start the downswing. So bottom line. Remove my dip in the downswing. Stop coming over-the-top. That's what I'm working on swing related right now. Btw, here's a cap of my handicap.    
    • Perhaps go to a pro shop or sporting goods store with a larger hitting area on their simulator.  Unless of course you live in an area where there are very few simulators
    • Do others have the same issue I seem to have.  Today when I was at Dick's, I decided to try a driver in the simulator stall.  It felt really odd, like I was hitting a ball inside my house.  I kept holding back, getting tense, and after I shanked a shot directly into the launch monitor I decided it was best to not continue. Years ago I hit in one when I was buying a driver. But thinking back on it, that was a much larger stall.  I think the issue is the distance from me to the drop cloth that stops the ball.  The one I was able to hit at years ago felt like 10+ feet to the drop cloth, whereas this felt like it was half that.   Anyway, I can't hit in a stall.  Bummer too cause I kinda wanted to see all the stats from my shots. Now... before my driver experience I did hit a 6I and 4I with little problems.  However my shots were coming up about 15% shorter than than they do when I play.  I'm not sure if I'm holding back in the stall, or if the clubs I was trying (Mizuno MP-25s with stiff steel shafts - I play regular graphite Taylormade R9s).   If I felt more comfortable in the stall, then I can better use it to evaluate my swing.  As it is now, then thing scares me....
    • No, and let me tell you why. I don't like how the bet is framed. Because I know at least here in New York even if you max out you must be paroled out of prison. And parole even on max outs is a mandatory 1 year here in NY.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. gerald463
      gerald463
      (37 years old)
    2. golfmoor
      golfmoor
      (39 years old)
    3. jlafond
      jlafond
      (21 years old)
    4. MattGreg
      MattGreg
      (25 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...