IGNORED

"Secrets of the Short Game" by Phil Mickelson

iacas
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got the dvd! Pretty cool so far, does anyone have that putting tutor thing he talks about? Seems like a good training aid but its kind of expensive for a little piece of plastic with two marbles on it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a putting tutor myself, here's the thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/44231/selfmade-putting-tutor-howto

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

• 6 months later...

Phil's methods seem totally different from Dave Pelz's "Short game Bible", but supposedly Phil and Dave work together.  Something seems wrong here, because Dave is not teaching what Phil says he does, and Phil is not doing what Dave teaches.

Ping G10, 9 deg, Graffaloy ProLaunch Red 65 stiff

KZG CH III 17 deg 4W

KZG 22 deg hybrid

Ping i15 4-9 Dynamic Gold R300

Vokey 46 (custom), 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold R300

Odyssey white hot #5

Originally Posted by lipout

Phil's methods seem totally different from Dave Pelz's "Short game Bible", but supposedly Phil and Dave work together.  Something seems wrong here, because Dave is not teaching what Phil says he does, and Phil is not doing what Dave teaches.

I thought that arrangement was short lived and very much past tense.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Isn't Phil working with Stockton now for his putting?

Since 2009 I believe. Stockton though was at a loss for words when Phil went to the belly. Stockton is now learning about the belly himself as a result. Phil went back to the standard putter for the President's Cup, and I think plans on using the standard to start the 2012 season.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 7 months later...

Loved the DVD.  Experienced immediate results.  If you have any issues with your short game, buy it.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

• 9 months later...

Just got the DVD two weeks ago and have already seen good results on the course. That hinge and hold is awesome, but I've just got to dial in the distances better. Oh, and that backwards shot is ridiculous. Haven't tried that one yet.

Originally Posted by Anthony7994

Just got the DVD two weeks ago and have already seen good results on the course. That hinge and hold is awesome, but I've just got to dial in the distances better. Oh, and that backwards shot is ridiculous. Haven't tried that one yet.

lol The backwards shot is hilarious. The funniest part of the YouTube video is when he goes "Ohhh, man... I read the green wrong!". Cracks me up.

Distance and muscle memory should come pretty quick with the hinge and hold. I started being comfortable with it after about 3 months of practice and still use it to this day 2 years later. I haven't found anything that works as well to date.

• 9 months later...

I still have the DVD and watch it even 2 years later.

There's a lot of good stuff in it. I like how he shows his specialty , the flop shot.

In it, he describe how it's an "indirect impact" by hitting the ground, more a fun shot than a scoring shot.

I think I finally understand the concept now, as the wedge has to make contact undernealth the ball .

a last resort shot ,better to use when short sided and no green to work with.

Mickelson hits his flop shot really"heavy" with the force of full swing.

I notice that I can do something similiar if I have a perch lie with air underneath but the ball goes miles over the green as the force isnt transfer to the ground.

For those shots I tried to hit the ball "light" by releasing grip pressure at impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started reading it, and I like it so far.  It's probably just my brain, but I do have a tough time with the fact that he's a lefty and I'm trying to read instructions as a righty.

Just started reading it, and I like it so far.  It's probably just my brain, but I do have a tough time with the fact that he's a lefty and I'm trying to read instructions as a righty.

Now you know how most leftys must feel...lol

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

I been finding that his hinge and hold technique for chipping is very similar to his forward press of his hands when putting,

Im fairly certain its the same motion.

Im not a fan of just forward pressing the hands, but if it works for you then good.

I do however forward press my at my elbow sometimes , that would be my "hinge".

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!