IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5W
4H
56*W

On par 4's I'd manipulate the 5W so that I'd get 175 to the green, then hit the 4H, any misses the SW will clean up. Putt with the 4H.

Par 5's would be 5W, 5W, 56*

On par 3's less than 175 but more than a 56* I'd use a punch shot with the 4H. More than 175, hit the 5W high.

Sounds like fun, I'll have to try it!

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Good call fourputt,I played in a 3 club match,I used 3, sw and putter The guys that scored the best putted with either their driver or 3 iron.Now I know the score next time Id go for Driving Iron (putter) 7 and SW

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

The pro who does lessons at our local range is still playing on the British seniors tour,and he told me that he and two others did a 3 club challenge.

He used his hybrid,5 iron,and a PW.

The hybrid he used as a putter.He's long with his hybrid,so he could use a mid iron for his second shot.Apparently he got round in par.

Obviously a very skillful golfer,but sounds like a lot of fun,I would like to try it on a smaller course.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

i have never done it myself, but i saw a guy named "Roy McAvoy" par out the back nine with only a 7 iron. he was rock!

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

• 2 years later...
We about once a year have a 3 clubs tournament, in which you are allowed to choose any 3 clubs to play with.

For me that is a 5i, 8i and putter.

5i because I can hit it dead straight (or with an intended draw or fade when needed) about 175 yds and 3 of our Par 3's are in that range. I use an 8i for all my chips, etc. and who doesn't need a putter.

I have tried before with something else as a combined putter/distance club, for instance a 2i or 2h or 5W and using that as a putter aswell , but my lowest score sofar came from 5i/8i/putter.

What are your choices and why ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

3 wood, nice drives plus par 5s.
7 iron, i practice it more than any other club
Really would want to add 56* wedge here, but putter it is otherwise I guess the 3 wood might work.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

4hybrid, 8 iron, putter

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

I would look up the golf course, but if its the golf course i play each week.

The longest iron i hit on a par three is a 6-iron

So,

5-iron (200 yards)
PW (135 yards)
Putter

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would use my driver, 7i, and 56* wedge. I can shape my 7 very well and choke down on a short par3. Or i can go after it and hit it 175+/-. On a long par 3 i could use my driver. I am actually pretty effective on partial swing with my driver. And i could putt with my driver. The reason i didnt pick a putter and picked a wedge is because i have a knack for being off the green to a short pin with no green to work with and i really doubt i would be hitting many GIR so sticking a wedge close and tapping in with the driver seems like a good strategy.

Would love to try this one day but i am too concerned with scoring well.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

for most of the courses I play, 4H (avg 180 yds), 9i ( avg 110 yds), putter

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

4 Hybrid: Good for long par 4's and 5's
7I: Good for chipping, short play and andthing else
Putter: It's not really needed, but it's there just for good luck Ha!

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I'd go with the 5i (or hybrid in my case), PW, and putter.

The 5h is long enough for me that I could get on most holes in regulation (well I'd stand about as good of a chance of doing that as I do normally). My PW is my usual chipping/pitching club and I could possibly deloft it on purpose and get something like 150-140yds out of it, and it would fill in nicely if I found any greenside bunkers. The putter is necessary because I wouldn't want to try and putt with another club and potentially give up any strokes unnecessarily.

This sounds like a really fun format to play in a league setting, although I imagine the better players would excel at this due to their overall higher skill level, and ability to use such a limited selection of clubs for all their shots.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

3h, 8i, putter

3h can be my 180-220 club, 8i chipping all the way to 170, and putter for, well, putting

It wouldn't be pretty though, especially trying to hit my 8i that hard.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

This sounds like a really fun format to play in a league setting, although I imagine the better players would excel at this due to their overall higher skill level, and ability to use such a limited selection of clubs for all their shots.

The surprise is that most decent handicappers don't play much from their handicaps. The winner is mostly a guy or girl playing arond his/her handicap.

We also have sometimes another nice tournament, in which you get a stroke for each club you don't take with you in the course ..... so if you have handicap 10 and you decide to play with 7 clubs, you start from handicap 17 ......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 1317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!