IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New peeves for me

the guy that lines up his shot, takes 4 or 5 practice swings, relines up his shot, another 2 practices swings, finally addresses the ball and hits a bad shot and then claims it was a bad shot because he was rushing.

Guy who waits for the green to clear on a shot he couldn't reach the green on if his life depended on it.

This is the guy who just hit a 220 yard drive off a tee, and is now standing 270 yards out waiting with a 3W in his hand.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is the guy who just hit a 220 yard drive off a tee, and is now standing 270 yards out waiting with a 3W in his hand.

That was you behind me the other day?

Was waiting for the party in front of me to clear the fairway about 250 yards out (almost exactly at the spot I hit the last time I played the hole) when a couple comes up behind me. The guy yells for me to tee off because there's no way I can reach. I yell back that two minutes won't hurt anything, the party clears the fairway and I hit a 200 yard slice. Dope!

I wait for him to catch up after finishing the hole so I can explain, but he promptly apologizes - tells me his wife was giving him a hard time about saying something to me. We laugh it off and shake hands. But I know what he was thinking after I left... "there's no way that #^* hole could hav e reached".

Jon

I can't count the amount of times where some loudmouth came up on me at a tee box grumbling about me thinking "I'm a pro" because I am waiting to tee off when the guys in front are like 275 up the fairway and then I hit one over where they were. Then they always get this sheepish grin on their faces and say "geez, you hit the long ball." It's very annoying because back in the day I could hit even further if I connected right but they were fewer and farther between and those jerk offs would just smirk when I would block one into another fairway. Edit. Actually this kind of thing can be very dangerous. This grumpy old guy pulled up in a cart the other day on #10 and started complaining that I was waiting when the group was about 260 away. We got into it a little bit and I had a lapse in judgement where I hit before being absolutely sure they were all gone. After I hit it, the old guy said "whoa, you really CAN hit it that far!" as the ball was heading right over the head of a dude that just popped out of the trees. I felt like crap and walked up to the green as they were putting to apologize and explain. And I'm not bragging about being Mr. Long Hitter because my typical drives are anywhere from 260 to 285ish with about 104mph average club speed. Many people on here are much bigger hitters than that.

I can't count the amount of times where some loudmouth came up on me at a tee box grumbling about me thinking "I'm a pro" because I am waiting to tee off when the guys in front are like 275 up the fairway and then I hit one over where they were.

Then they always get this sheepish grin on their faces and say "geez, you hit the long ball."

It's very annoying because back in the day I could hit even further if I connected right but they were fewer and farther between and those jerk offs would just smirk when I would block one into another fairway.

Edit. Actually this kind of thing can be very dangerous. This grumpy old guy pulled up in a cart the other day on #10 and started complaining that I was waiting when the group was about 260 away. We got into it a little bit and I had a lapse in judgement where I hit before being absolutely sure they were all gone.

After I hit it, the old guy said "whoa, you really CAN hit it that far!" as the ball was heading right over the head of a dude that just popped out of the trees.

I felt like crap and walked up to the green as they were putting to apologize and explain.

And I'm not bragging about being Mr. Long Hitter because my typical drives are anywhere from 260 to 285ish with about 104mph average club speed. Many people on here are much bigger hitters than that.

Yeah, even on this site, people just don't like to accept the possibility that there are long hitters who aren't pros (to me, 260 is long).

Back on topic... all I want to do when the course is crowded is to use proper etiquette - just common sense respect for others. That means playing as fast as possible without bastardizing the rules or hitting into a group in front. But even with the best intentions, I suppose there's no pleasing everyone.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Yeah, even on this site, people just don't like to accept the possibility that there are long hitters who aren't pros (to me, 260 is long). Back on topic... all I want to do when the course is crowded is to use proper etiquette - just common sense respect for others. That means playing as fast as possible without bastardizing the rules or hitting into a group in front. But even with the best intentions, I suppose there's no pleasing everyone.

Yep. Golf is not exempt from jerks lol.

I can't count the amount of times where some loudmouth came up on me at a tee box grumbling about me thinking "I'm a pro" because I am waiting to tee off when the guys in front are like 275 up the fairway and then I hit one over where they were.

Then they always get this sheepish grin on their faces and say "geez, you hit the long ball."

It's very annoying because back in the day I could hit even further if I connected right but they were fewer and farther between and those jerk offs would just smirk when I would block one into another fairway.

Edit. Actually this kind of thing can be very dangerous. This grumpy old guy pulled up in a cart the other day on #10 and started complaining that I was waiting when the group was about 260 away. We got into it a little bit and I had a lapse in judgement where I hit before being absolutely sure they were all gone.

After I hit it, the old guy said "whoa, you really CAN hit it that far!" as the ball was heading right over the head of a dude that just popped out of the trees.

I felt like crap and walked up to the green as they were putting to apologize and explain.

And I'm not bragging about being Mr. Long Hitter because my typical drives are anywhere from 260 to 285ish with about 104mph average club speed. Many people on here are much bigger hitters than that.

If you hit long you should wait.  The peeve I have is with guys I know who aren't long hitters that insist on waiting for the green to clear.  These are guys who can't hit a drive past 200 yards, and ask me to laser the pin when we're 250 yards out and hit 3 wood.

I would always lean on the side of caution but if you can't hit your driver 200 and we're 240 from the green you can hit your next shot.   I will never give a stranger a tough time about hitting into a green  because I don't know how far they can hit the ball.

Joe Paradiso

If you hit long you should wait.  The peeve I have is with guys I know who aren't long hitters that insist on waiting for the green to clear.  These are guys who can't hit a drive past 200 yards, and ask me to laser the pin when we're 250 yards out and hit 3 wood.  I would always lean on the side of caution but if you can't hit your driver 200 and we're 240 from the green you can hit your next shot.   I will never give a stranger a tough time about hitting into a green  because I don't know how far they can hit the ball.

Oh I know. I was just responding to something someone else said above. I agree.

Loud-mouths on the course that you can hear from 3 holes away are the worst.

There were these two loud mouthed drunken brothers behind us this one time on a nice course and they never stopped talking. I'm saying that for about 7 holes before we let them through we had MAYBE a three second gap between their talking (screaming) before they screamed again. They seemed nice enough but the guy we got paired up with lost it and yelled at them to shut up. Every single hole we would be putting they would drive up yelling to each other as they walked to their balls about their shots and were commentators on every single shot. It was unreal. Edit: and we heard them up ahead the rest of the round lol.

I hate it when a partner hits a poor shot that''s in play , then immediately drops and hits another ball ""for practice""

I on occasion play with a guy who will hit a decent shot, but not the result he wants.

Immediately drops another ball "just to see if I can do it".

Then will play the second ball and score it if he had never dropped the 2nd ball.

When called on it he says " I didnt think we were playing serious".

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I on occasion play with a guy who will hit a decent shot, but not the result he wants.

Immediately drops another ball "just to see if I can do it".

Then will play the second ball and score it if he had never dropped the 2nd ball.

When called on it he says " I didnt think we were playing serious".

I have played with a friend who will have holes where he will take "X" amount of shots, but when marking his score will say "I'll take a "Y" for the hole (and "Y" is always lower than "X")

We have always just played for fun so I don't really call him out on it.  Of course he has never played in a league or tournament where he would have to count his strokes with a more accurate number!!

I have played with a friend who will have holes where he will take "X" amount of shots, but when marking his score will say "I'll take a "Y" for the hole (and "Y" is always lower than "X")

We have always just played for fun so I don't really call him out on it.  Of course he has never played in a league or tournament where he would have to count his strokes with a more accurate number!!

If he reports his score for handicap purposes he's hurting himself should he play in a league or a tournament as well.

Joe Paradiso

The uncalled for negative self talker:--This is the guy that says Come On!??! to himself and helicopters a one hand follow through as the ball lands in the fairway just right of center.  Then he shouts “What are you doing!!!??” after hitting his approach and the ball lands 5ft from the flag on the green. This same guy then proceeds to sigh and angrily mumble immediately after striking his putt and he makes it.

Love it!  The best player in my league likes to proclaim what a poor putter he is just before he sinks another 20 footer for birdie.  He's a good guy, so I always give him crap about this.

The same guy on occasion mark his card with what he "should have got", not what he scored. Especially if he misses a par put.

If he reports his score for handicap purposes he's hurting himself should he play in a league or a tournament as well.

The same guy plays in my league, where he carries a 10 handicap.

He still contend that it is the course which keeps his score high. He maintains that "you would be 5 strokes better at any other course".

Forget the fact that we have 1 member shooting scratch right now.

I hate to break it to the guy, but his 5 strokes better on another course is because no one cares what he writes down.

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Better Ball match. My partner is the only one in the foursome getting a shot on this hole. He is a 25 handicap with a 165 yard uphill shot, into the wind, to a small heavily bunkered green. He has a four iron in his hand. I ask him, "have you ever hit that club from here onto that green?" He ponders the question then responds, "no, but there is always a first time." He proceeds to hit the ball 30 yards left of the green, can't get the next shot on the green and makes a 6 for 5, which halves the hole, but a 5 for 4 wins it easy.

Suffice it to say that he is no longer my Better Ball partner.

Bill M

Better Ball match. My partner is the only one in the foursome getting a shot on this hole. He is a 25 handicap with a 165 yard uphill shot, into the wind, to a small heavily bunkered green. He has a four iron in his hand. I ask him, "have you ever hit that club from here onto that green?" He ponders the question then responds, "no, but there is always a first time." He proceeds to hit the ball 30 yards left of the green, can't get the next shot on the green and makes a 6 for 5, which halves the hole, but a 5 for 4 wins it easy.

Suffice it to say that he is no longer my Better Ball partner.

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

^ Funny. :) Story: We played TPC Sawgrass last year in a large group that got stuck with left over tee times at the end of the day. We were held up all day for a 5 hour round in near darkness at the end. Our foursome was teeing off on the 17th tee box and in my backswing the drunks behind us with the very last tee time started yelling for one guys put to go in. Totally messed up my shot that hit the green and rolled in the water. I was pissed but tried to move on. Then on 18 I was on the putting green and the guys in the fairway started yelling again about nonsense. I yelled back at them and told them "thanks for ruining our round." Of course he yelled back the same thing. The caddie we had was embarrassed by the group behind us behavior and spoke to the head pro...they compensated me with 1/2 off my next round. I just can't believe how rude that group was. Can you imagine paying big money to play and iconic course, your about to tee off on one of the most famous holes in the world, your already tired and frustrated by the course being backed up with horrible pace of play...then some loud mouth drunk 30 yards away can't control himself yelling for someone else putt to go in??? Then he intentionally yells at us on 18??? Drinking on the golf course is fine but please keep the drunks away if they have no self control.

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!