IGNORED

Putting on bad greens... what to do?

senorchipotle
Note:Β This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Ok, so there's a course i play from time to time, which is relatively challenging, but boy do the greens suck. they are incredibly slow, and it's hard for me to take my putting seriously there. i've had eagle and birdie opportunities and because of some blemish in the green, and speed inconsistencies, i've completely blown it. sometimes they're so slow i feel like i'd be better off putting with a hybrid. last time i played i was incredibly happy with my irons and driver, but i kept missing putts because they weren't rolling true. so, should i omit putting all together on this course? because it seriously screws me up when i play courses with good greens.

thoughts...

I'd stop playing there and tell them why. Either you mess up your putting tempo by training yourself on that crappy green, or you skip putting althogether, and what's the fun in that?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

take a lawnmower with you and cut the greens before you putt

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

There is a local 9 hole course near my house that has similar conditions. The greens are like putting on most country club's fairways or first cut of rough. They are WAY too long. I'm talking like 5 or 6 on the stimp meter.

The sad part is they are in pretty good shape, the owner is actually the guy who works on the course - there is no mateinance crew...and he knows nothing about/doesn't play golf...so he just doesn't understand.

Otherwise the course is pretty fun, but I've played there once all summer because I just can no longer stand the greens.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

There is a local 9 hole course near my house that has similar conditions. The greens are like putting on most country club's fairways or first cut of rough. They are WAY too long. I'm talking like 5 or 6 on the stimp meter.

Just wondering is the course Bel-Aire because I recently played there and the greens were stupid slow.

I know how you feel. The muni I play occassionally is the same way. Played today - great golf shots except for putting b/c I couldn't get used to it. Shot a 46 (Great for me) with three 3 putts >.< Which is quite uncharacteristic of me. Usually putting is where I shine.
Driver: Cobra Speed Pro S X/10.5*
3W: TaylorMade Rescue
Irons: Adams Ovation 3 (4-LW)
Putter: Ping Zing 2i
Ball: Noodle + Long & SoftGlove: FootJoy SofJoyShoes: FootJoy GreenJoyShort term goals:Break 92 for 18 holesShoot 5 pars or better in one round.

My local course has some slow greens, but nothing drastic. They are soft as hell, and they hold any shot, even a semi-bladed wedge. Most of the greens there are not brown, and they are mostly a dark green. I also played another course where a few of the greens had a combination of walking on/too much water, and it made it really bumpy. Sometimes I intentionally aim to miss a green, and get it within 3 feet with chipping. I'm a much better chipper than a putter, therefore it is easier to sink shorter putts.

In the bag:
Driver: 907 D2/Proforce V2 R-flex
Hybrid: Burner '07 3 Hybrid/Re-Ax Shaft/19* (4* draw bias)
Irons: AP1 4-7i
AP2 8-PWedges: Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52.06/56.11) VR Forged Chrome 60.06Putter: Ignite 001 Ball: Pro V1/ One Tour/

Just wondering is the course Bel-Aire because I recently played there and the greens were stupid slow.

No, haha. I'm sure there are numerous courses like that around the country, but it was just a local course in my town.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I've been having this problem a lot recently. All the rain has kept these greens really lush and slow around me and most the courses around me are bermuda greens. I went and played on bent greens that roll at pretty much tournament speed (over 6 inch stroke can take you off the green going uphill haha) and I was sinking putts from all over. These past 2 weeks, my ball striking has been brilliant but I have not been able to put a putt in the hole, every time just burning the edge or lipping out. Slow greens are tough. There are more subtle differences, you gotta read grain into it too, and still, every inch will react differently to the roll.

I'd say, keep putting. That's how you score. It's not gonna ruin your game. It's only gonna make you consider more into your shot planning. You may not score as well as you would on nicer greens, but that's golf. Get the ball into the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Slow greens are ok, as long as all the greens on the course are consistent. When they switch it up from green to green, or worse yet, when its a different speed on one side of the same green , is when its time to play elsewhere.

Cherry Hills, a course near me, is like that. I never can play my handicap at this course, and the only reason is the horrible greens.

Life is too short to play in sub-par ( ) conditions. You're miserable for a 3d of every round you play....... If at all possible, I'd find another course.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For these type of greens it helps to the ball rolling forward as quickly as possible. The backspin that is generated by the initial stroke slows the ball down and also causes bounces and unexpected results often on imperfect greens. There are a couple ways to do this. One way is to either buy a putter with more loft or have your putter adjusted to add a degree or 2 more loft. Another is to check out the putters that claim to generate top spin off the face (including the new Nike Method putter). The best way without buying a new putter may be the forward press. Just set up to ball as you normally do, but before you strike ball press your hands ahead of ball then strike ball, keeping your hands ahead. This creates a little top spin quicker because of catching ball higher on the face. For many players this tends to create a truer roll due to top spin happening sooner.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Greens that are inconsistent speeds is a course maintenance problem. Greens that are scarred due to unfixed ballmarks are an issue that players AND the course should take care of. I was taught at an early age, and still believe, that fixing a ball mark was a badge of honor. You hit a shot into the green, you have a chance at birdie, fixing the ball mark is almost like showing off. If nothing else, it literally takes 5 seconds to do!
I'm in a Tuesday league, and last night we played at a course where the greens were not only beat up with unfixed ball marks, it had numerous scuffs from golf shoes. On one hole, there was a divot right near the cup from a careless (and idiotic) golfer. Of course, it affected one of my putts.
People don't give a rip about helping to maintain the quality of a course (no, it's not just the course's responsibility), then complain when a course is in bad shape...when they are contributing to the problem!!! Ridiculous!

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

When I play on greens like that I try and just hit good quality putts.. Thats all I can do. After the ball leaves the putter face it is up to the green. I try not to get down on myself for hitting a good putt that got disabled by a bumpy green because on a good green it would be in. If it is a tournament on crappy greens, everyone is dealing with the same conditions so it comes down to who hits the right bumps, lol. A guy once said it perfectly to me: "The bumps giveth, and the bumps taketh away"

Putter firstΒ 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist:Β 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping:Β i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

I sympathize, but golf is a game where you have to deal with "conditions." There are all kinds of obstacles to a good score, beside our own skill level. Dry conditions, wind, cold, heat, greens with ball marks, hard greens, uncut greens, etc. When I was growing up, they would leave the cup in the same place for days, so around the hole it is beat up and matted down pretty bad, except for 2 inches around the cup. That would kick the ball left or right and cause missed putts. The only way to avoid these kinds of problems is pay your golf on a computer. Otherwise, unless you have a lot of money, you are going to pay on a course that is less than touranment perfect.

I'd advise you lighten up a bit. For example. West Texas is pretty dry so our fairways tend to be on the thin side. I've never seen lush out here. If I hit in a spot with thin or no grass, I find myself a decent lie. (Winter rules if you will) I'm out to have fun, not win the Masters. Find yourself some way to equalize the "unfairness" and have fun.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Obviously you played my home course.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9ΒΊ
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50ΒΊ, 54ΒΊ
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade RAC 58ΒΊ
Putter:Β Ping Darby 32" shaft

Β 

theres a couple courses near me with crappy greens, one of the courses with a little work, could be a nice course, i think the budget is so low that either one of them doesnt have the resourses or manpower to make them nice courses but they're cheap and for the most part one of them is a place I like to play, not long but has some challenging holes which require some accuracy just to keep the ball in play. The greens are bumpy and have a lot of brown spots but putting more firmly usually works, ive actually holed a few longer putts in the 12-15 range so I guess ive gotten somewhat used to the conditions. For $10 for 9 w/cart on mon and friday and $12 any other day, cant complain too much. I just hope it doesnt close, they're not making much money as very few people play there which means the course is never crowded during the week, hardly ever have to wait on anyone or have anyone rush you.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14Β°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20Β°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23Β°5h-warrior golf tcp 26Β° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56Β° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note:Β This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!