IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

With all else being equal, a heel hit results as the sweet spot is further away from the ball at impact than it was at address. After all, your hips have moved closer to the ball on the downswing. Golfers that early extend tend to learn to flip their hands over through impact in a desperate attempt to square the clubface. Overdoing this can result in toed hits.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

More info with regards to my previous post. I tweaked my leading side (left) elbow about 6 months ago and haven't played since. It's sort of a chronic tendonitis/tennis elbow. I just started playing again and so I might be protecting the elbow as well as being defensive against the shank.

After a couple of more trips to the range and a quick 9, I think in addition to the early extension, I might be not fully doing the straight arms enough, around A6 on. Not taking much of a divot. I'll work on this and the early extension.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nevets88

More info with regards to my previous post. I tweaked my leading side (left) elbow about 6 months ago and haven't played since. It's sort of a chronic tendonitis/tennis elbow. I just started playing again and so I might be protecting the elbow as well as being defensive against the shank.

After a couple of more trips to the range and a quick 9, I think in addition to the early extension, I might be not fully doing the straight arms enough, around A6 on. Not taking much of a divot. I'll work on this and the early extension.

My suggestion here is check your grip pressure points and look at your right-tilt on the downswing.  If you are tilted enough, have kept the head back and gotten the hips forward enough, the right shoulder will be so low at impact that you will feel like you must hit with your right hand instead of your left.  When the right hand is maintaining club control, the pressure on the left arm is reduced, it's role diminished, and you can give it a break.  You haven't been giving it a break, which is why you have an overuse injury.  This advice is all predicated on a sound grip, so check that your grip enables you to press the handle of the club past P7 effectively with the right arm straightening.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My suggestion here is check your grip pressure points and look at your right-tilt on the downswing.  If you are tilted enough, have kept the head back and gotten the hips forward enough, the right shoulder will be so low at impact that you will feel like you must hit with your right hand instead of your left.  When the right hand is maintaining club control, the pressure on the left arm is reduced, it's role diminished, and you can give it a break.  You haven't been giving it a break, which is why you have an overuse injury.  This advice is all predicated on a sound grip, so check that your grip enables you to press the handle of the club past P7 effectively with the right arm straightening.

Thanks. The tweak was from a previous non golf related RSI (also one side or one foot is a tad shorter an the other) but you're right, I do make my left side do more work than my right, or at least try to. I will try the right side "hit" - I never thought of that. Looking forward to the next range session.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

what all do i need to start out on this? any videos or anything. just a simple explanation of the swing and ill practice it. i have a really bad slice and i have a hard time making contact with the ball.

In bag(15 years old on budget):

Driver- Taylor Made Burner 09

3 Wood- Dunlop Loco

3 Hybrid- Walter Hagen AWX

4,5 Hybrid- Nicklaus Polarity

6-SW- Nicklaus Polarity Irons

Putter- Top Flite

Balls- Callaway War Bird

• Administrator

Originally Posted by buckeyekid1996

what all do i need to start out on this? any videos or anything. just a simple explanation of the swing and ill practice it. i have a really bad slice and i have a hard time making contact with the ball.

Get the book.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Get the book.

that would be the best option? would golf evolution be good lessons? luckily i live 3 and a half hours away from eerie.

In bag(15 years old on budget):

Driver- Taylor Made Burner 09

3 Wood- Dunlop Loco

3 Hybrid- Walter Hagen AWX

4,5 Hybrid- Nicklaus Polarity

6-SW- Nicklaus Polarity Irons

Putter- Top Flite

Balls- Callaway War Bird

• Administrator

Originally Posted by buckeyekid1996

that would be the best option? would golf evolution be good lessons? luckily i live 3 and a half hours away from eerie.

Well, we'd be happy to have you. The book will cost you $20. The gas to get here will cost you about the same. Might be worthwhile to do the book first. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, only about half way reading through this and decided to order the book.  Looking forward to reading through and applying some of the principles.  I have lurked around TST for awhile now...I finally logged back in and noticed my last contribution to the boards was 3 years ago. Hoping to get out much more this year and looking to have a breakthrough year (still cant break 100 consistently).  Once I begin reading the book and finish this mammoth thread, I will most likely be posting in here a lot :)

Ordering this book was the best thing I've done for my golf swing and my sanity in a long time. I’m convinced this stuff works. For the first time since I've picked up a golf club 3 years ago I am consistently making ball first contact. It's an awesome feeling. I will say that I had to read the book twice because it's kind of an information overload (at least for me) but once it all came together it was like FINALLY! Still working out kinks with the driver, but I am 100% stack and tilt!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

a few issues im having is raising up when i do my backswing....and when i open my clubface up i always push right......anyone have anything i can do for this

also having some grip issues.....any suggestions which grip is best to use with stack and tilt

Originally Posted by outlaw1984

a few issues im having is raising up when i do my backswing....and when i open my clubface up i always push right......anyone have anything i can do for this

also having some grip issues.....any suggestions which grip is best to use with stack and tilt

Turn the shoulders in a circle.  That will fix both issues.  Left shoulder down on the backswing, tilting left.  Right shoulder down on the downswing, tilting right.  Turning shoulders too flat on the way down sends the path left and with an open face sends the ball right.  Turning the shoulders steeper on the downswing gets the path inside.

You should be raising up (extending).  You should also be tilting to the left and rotating to the right at the same time.  If you are losing level, you might not be tilting left as much as you need to.  3 downswing pieces:  leftward tilt, rightward rotation, and extension.

• Upvote 1

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Recently I've had some sucess with the following and wanted to get some opinions from the S'n'T users.

On the backswing I focus on just making a nice centered turn and then on the the downswing I ONLY PUSH MY HIPS FOWARD - no other downswing thoughts at all. It seems that when I do this (which is hard to do because your brain is screaming "you have to swing your arms or you won't hit the ball dummy") my arm swing happens automatically and it comes in fast and inside everytime (so far). It's like my subconcious takes over and the arms drop into the slot by themselves.

I was doing this a few weeks ago and had great ballstriking with it but slowly forgot about it as my mind got all caught up in other swing thoughts that probably weren't really priorities. When I add in other thoughts I don't seem to get the hips forward enough and all kinds of bad things happen! Anyway, I eventually remembered how well this worked and went back to it and PRESTO solid ballstriking again! I'm thinking that the hips cause the other good things to happen "all on their own", but the other good things don't make the hips happen "all on their own" and the HIPS ARE KEY.

I'm a high capper and really just need to focus on solid contact for now.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers to beers!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

i usually concentrate keeping my eyeline while pushing the hips forward.... i have friends and family thinking they are pushing the hips foward but it means nothing if your head tips backwards...

Originally Posted by fanofsaosin

i usually concentrate keeping my eyeline while pushing the hips forward.... i have friends and family thinking they are pushing the hips foward but it means nothing if your head tips backwards...

But do you consciously swing your arms or just push your hips and trust that it will trigger your hips-shoulders-arms to unwind?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

i don't think about swinging my arms... i make sure my power accumulators are releasing in order at the same rate my hips are moving forward to give me the right amount of tilt....

Hips don't lie.  All I'm doing in my swing laboratory - a mat and a net in the basement - is working on sliding my hips to start the downswing.  I just want to ingrain that feeling until it's automatic, because when I let the hips start everything, it falls into place as you describe.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White